Code of Conduct

Thread: Boss Number One

Default Boss Number One

Some will find this one just too 80's. It's pretty heavy. And can smell a bit off urine in the beginning. I have bought it but not worn it yet. Alot people agree this is their best fragrance for men. You could smell this one everywhere back in the 80's:

Last edited by Man_from_Shalimar; 22nd December 2008 at 10:34 PM.

Default Re: Boss Number One

I have not tried all of the Hugo Boss fragrances, but Number One is the best of the ones I have!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

What can you tell me about the fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Man_from_Shalimar View Post
    Some will find this one just too 80's. It's pretty heavy. And can smell a bit off urine in the beginning. I have bought it but not worn it yet. Alot people agree this is their best fragrance for men. You could smell this one everywhere back in the 80's:

Language barrier? Based on what you said in your first post I'd imagine you've already smelled it.

I agree with everything you said, except for the urine part. That's best left for Ralph Lauren Romance for Men.

smeller

Awful.

Cheap smelling, synthetic, boring, cloying, no longevity.

The cap smells great.

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Language barrier? Based on what you said in your first post I'd imagine you've already smelled it.

What the heck do you mean by language barrier? I was asking for his own opinion not mine..

Boss Number One is an 80’s powerhouse fragrance that seems to straddle the divide between fougere and chypre. Perfumeintelligence classifies it as an aromatic chypre while Michael Edwards says it is a fresh aromatic fougere. It is the only Hugo Boss fragrance that I own.

This note pyramid comes from ScentDirect:
    Top notes: Aldehyde, Artemesia, Basil oil, Bergamot oil, Juniperberry, Lemon
    Middle notes: Clary Sage oil, Green Note, Honey, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Rose
    Base notes: Amber, Cedarwood oil, Cinnamon, Moss, Musk, Patchouli, Tobacco
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 22nd December 2008 at 11:07 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

What the heck do you mean by language barrier? I was asking for his own opinion not mine..
    Welcome to Basenotes, Man_from_Shalimar!

Be nice to atrac. He's our resident expert on Boss Number One (and a friend).
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 22nd December 2008 at 11:12 PM.

thanks, sure.
    Last edited by Man_from_Shalimar; 22nd December 2008 at 11:14 PM.

The question "What can you tell me about the fragrance?" sounds to me like someone who has never smelled it before asking for a description of it, as opposed to asking "what is your opinion of it?"

I'm sorry that I misunderstood your intention.

And yes, a hot temper won't get you very far around here.

Thanks for the backup, TwoRoads.

I am very intrigued by Boss Number One, and I don't know why. It does seem a bit dated, and I am very uncertain about the 80s stuff, but for me reason, I gravitate to this when I am in the discount fragrance stores in NYC near my office. Probably because it just smells nice IMHO. One day I am going to go in and try it before going to the office, and see if I get any reaction. I don't know why, but with this one, I would like to know what others think. That is not my usual MO with new fragrances.

I found this one to be weak and longevity and sillage to be bad. I liked it at first but it's so weak that it's not worth it. It has been dilluted and nowhere near the powerhouse that some described it as. Perhaps the old formula was good but the stuff that is Boss Number One today isn't worth it. Spend your money on other more recent fragrances so you don't end up getting some reformulated crap like Boss Number One. I just wish I could edit my review on here. I gave it a positive review because I judged it too quickly.
    Last edited by Ronin; 23rd December 2008 at 12:22 AM.

do they make bold orientals like these anymore....? those were the times...!

I've only used a deo spray of this a few years ago and I liked it, so I assume I'd like the EdT too.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

The question "What can you tell me about the fragrance?" sounds to me like someone who has never smelled it before asking for a description of it, as opposed to asking "what is your opinion of it?"

I'm sorry that I misunderstood your intention.

And yes, a hot temper won't get you very far around here.

Thanks for the backup, TwoRoads.

My apologies.

i think we all need to apologize each other here..we can me more careful when it comes to using sensitive words, aimed just coz a person represents a certain region. atrac is a cool guy, and i was really surpised to see him have equally poor choice of words. i dont think he'd dare choose those words for an American.
    Last edited by jenson; 23rd December 2008 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i think we all need to apologize each other here..we can me more careful when it comes to using sensitive words, aimed just coz a person represents a certain region. atrac is a cool guy, and i was really surpised to see him have equally poor choice of words. i dont think he'd dare choose those words for an American.
    Wow! I had no idea "language barrier" was insensitive. I absolutely apologize. I had no intention of offending in any way. My own ignorance is the culprit and I promise I won't let it happen again.

America is a hodge-podge of people and languages. I encounter language barriers among Americans all of the time. It is just part of life here. I am with atrac, I would not have thought his comments to be controversial.

i'm not asking people to take sides Two Roads...you are much more than that. and Atrac, i have the utmost respect for you and im sure(hope) you wouldnt have said it to hurt anyone. let peace prevail. Thnx.

a side note, my english is really pathetic and i'm not really aware of american way of life.....kindly be adjusting to me. i say it the way i feel it, no iLL feelings.

i'm not asking people to take sides Two Roads...you are much more than that. and Atrac, i have the utmost respect for you and im sure(hope) you wouldnt have said it to hurt anyone. let peace prevail. Thnx.

a side note, my english is really pathetic and i'm not really aware of american way of life.....kindly be adjusting to me. i say it the way i feel it, no iLL feelings.
    My friend, I was not taking sides as much as trying to explain that, in America, what atrac said would not be considered disrespectful. It is hard enough for me to communicate properly in English and it is my native language. I certainly don't expect perfection out of others, whether they primarily speak English or not. If anything, I took his comments to be good-natured joking.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 24th December 2008 at 02:34 PM.

smeller

The huge amount of off-topic comments only confirms that there's little enthusiasm about Boss Number One in the board.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    The huge amount of off-topic comments only confirms that there's little enthusiasm about Boss Number One in the board.
    Which is a shame, as it's easily my number two fragrance (right behind DK Fuel).

smeller

Which is a shame, as it's easily my number two fragrance (right behind DK Fuel).
    Well, I'm wishing to trade my 50 ml full bottle, give me a PM if you're interested...

really? man! wish we could talk more about it earlier in this thread than getting stuck up with language barriers.

Merry X'mas Folks!

Merry X'mas Folks!
    To you too, jenson!

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Well, I'm wishing to trade my 50 ml full bottle, give me a PM if you're interested...
    I appreciate the offer, but I actually stocked up on it a few months ago when I heard (although not confirmed) that it was discontinued.

Merry Christmas everyone!