Code of Conduct

Default Chanel No5 "Most Iconic Fragrance"

Source

Chanel No5 has been named the most iconic fragrance of all time in a poll of 2000 female Superdrug shoppers.

In addition to bagging the top slot, the classic French fragrance house also took fourth place with Coco.

Calvin Klein was the only other brand to win two places in the top 10 list with unisex CK1 taking second place and Calvin Klein Eternity coming in third. Victoria Beckham was the only celebrity to make an appearance on the list with Coty owned Beckham Intimately Her taking tenth place.

Chanel No5 first went on sale in 1921 and is now said to sell a bottle every 55 seconds around the world. Marilyn Monroe is one of the perfume’s most famous fans, contributing to its iconic status by saying she wore nothing but the scent in bed.

Matthew Twigg, Superdrug fine fragrance buyer said: “Chanel No.5 is such an iconic perfume which has truly stood the test of time, being just as popular now as when it first went on sale almost 90 years ago. All the perfumes in the top 10 have adorned dressing tables across the country and will remain staple scents for years to come.”

Top 10 most iconic perfumes of all time:
    1. Chanel No 5
    2. CK1
    3. Calvin Klein Eternity
    4. Coco, Chanel
    5. Poison, Dior
    6. Ghost
    7. Anais Anais, Cacharel
    8. Lacoste Touch of Pink
    9. Opium, Yves Saint Laurent
    10. Beckham Intimately Her
    I'd agree with Poison, Opium, and No 5 being "most iconic", but Beckham Intimately Her, and Touch of Pink? I respectfully disagree with the polled shoppers.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chanel No5 "Most Iconic Fragrance"

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    Source

I'd agree with Poison, Opium, and No 5 being "most iconic", but Beckham Intimately Her, and Touch of Pink? I respectfully disagree with the polled shoppers.
    LOL! Yes, absolutely on those classics. But I'm with you - I disagree on those others, and perhaps not even respectfully! I can think of dozens of classic and modern classic replacements for those. Nevertheless, very interesting to see that no.5 is still ruling.

I think that the Nicole Kidman campaign for no. 5 has been perfect, and I wouldn't doubt one bit that it has helped maintain the product image. But I'm a huge fan of the new N°5 EAU PREMIÈRE, also - I think it's great stuff. I really wish my wife liked that one.

"Chanel No5 has been named the most iconic fragrance of all time in a poll of 2000 female Superdrug shoppers."

Maybe they didn't know what the word "iconic" meant.....?

From "icon...A person or thing that is the best example of a certain profession or some doing......"(Thank you WikiDictionary)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    "Chanel No5 has been named the most iconic fragrance of all time in a poll of 2000 female Superdrug shoppers."

Maybe they didn't know what the word "iconic" meant.....?

From "icon...A person or thing that is the best example of a certain profession or some doing......"(Thank you WikiDictionary)
    Great point! I know several people who would likely think that "most iconic" means that small images of the bottle would look nice on a computer desktop!

Exclamation Re: Chanel No5 "Most Iconic Fragrance"

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL! Yes, absolutely on those classics. But I'm with you - I disagree on those others, and perhaps not even respectfully! I can think of dozens of classic and modern classic replacements for those. Nevertheless, very interesting to see that no.5 is still ruling.

I think that the Nicole Kidman campaign for no. 5 has been perfect, and I wouldn't doubt one bit that it has helped maintain the product image. But I'm a huge fan of the new N°5 EAU PREMIÈRE, also - I think it's great stuff. I really wish my wife liked that one.
    This is very interesting that you bring it up!!

From my reliable sources WITHIN the industry I know for a fact of two things (had blogged a bit about it in the past):

1) No.5 (regardless of what we think about it and how good it truly is) does VERY poorly in blind market tests ~but interestingly, it's the reverse in non-blind ones! This is basically the reason why they're busy bringing out those versions like "Elixir Sensuel" and "Eau Premiere": to lure the consumer who is wowed by the myth but doesn't particularly like the original smell (and they're very nice versions too).Also despite it being featured in best-selling lists (which my sources also tell me they are skewed in various ways, too long to elaborate now, sorry), from online discussions on perfume lovers' fora it dawns that although many have a bottle of it, few use it regularly (they either don't love it or save it for some special occassion).

2) the Nicole Kidman campaign was commercially deemed a flop due to various reasons (malcommunication all around ~remember NK saying she was wearing other things and receiving slaps on the wrist?~, diva behaviour all around, going over-budget by millions for the commercial, not reaching the expected audiences etc.)

I believe Chanel No.5 has iconic status for many reasons besides the smell itself (which as I told you I personally deem very good indeed): apart from the glam image of it being... Chanel, advertised by the very best "icons" through the decades (and receiving a HUGE boost by the famous Monroe quote), it also has a timeless packaging and bottle that appears very modern and straightfoward allowing every decade to project its aspirations to it. ASnd don't forget the myths around it, even for perfumistas: the first aldehydic (not true), the first synthetic (not true), the one which was made by mistake tossing so much aldehydes in (not true), the one mod Chanel picked by chance either due to blinding headache or through metaphysical reasons (lucky charm number etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    I also agree that Coco and Eternity may be iconics. Beckham and TOP? Naw....

Quote Originally Posted by helg View Post
    This is very interesting that you bring it up!!

From my reliable sources WITHIN the industry I know for a fact of two things (had blogged a bit about it in the past):

1) No.5 (regardless of what we think about it and how good it truly is) does VERY poorly in blind market tests ~but interestingly, it's the reverse in non-blind ones! This is basically the reason why they're busy bringing out those versions like "Elixir Sensuel" and "Eau Premiere": to lure the consumer who is wowed by the myth but doesn't particularly like the original smell (and they're very nice versions too).Also despite it being featured in best-selling lists (which my sources also tell me they are skewed in various ways, too long to elaborate now, sorry), from online discussions on perfume lovers' fora it dawns that although many have a bottle of it, few use it regularly (they either don't love it or save it for some special occassion).
    I find the quoted text in red especially interesting.

It's liek this with many high-end name brand items. Some people will own (or pretend to really really like) them because of the prestige. Others will so they don't look ignorant. (EVERYBODY likes Gucci, so I must, too.... or people think I'm cheap or stupid.)

I recently remembered a thread where a member asked if we bought our frags only at department stores or also at drug and discount stores. I suppose, some people feel that they MUST spend $$$ and carry a frag home in a fancy bag.
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

Chanel 5 was my 5th grade math teacher's favorite and when she retired, they gave her a bottle of the extrait.
    Mrs. Nolan was her name, a total b*tch.

I don't care what anyone says. I have fallen in love with no. 5. The parfum version. and the edt. version. You can keep the edp.
    This is one perfume I can see myself owning for the rest of my life.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by helg View Post
    I believe Chanel No.5 has iconic status for many reasons besides the smell itself (which as I told you I personally deem very good indeed): apart from the glam image of it being... Chanel, advertised by the very best "icons" through the decades (and receiving a HUGE boost by the famous Monroe quote), it also has a timeless packaging and bottle that appears very modern and straightfoward allowing every decade to project its aspirations to it. ASnd don't forget the myths around it, even for perfumistas: the first aldehydic (not true), the first synthetic (not true), the one which was made by mistake tossing so much aldehydes in (not true), the one mod Chanel picked by chance either due to blinding headache or through metaphysical reasons (lucky charm number etc)
    Just for a moment, think about the public image of No 5 separately from the actual smell. To the person on the street, it represents 'Posh Perfume' and has some great associated brand values of style, classiness, femininity, good taste, chic, Frenchness, glamour and expensiveness. That little square bottle is truly iconic in that it has become a visual shorthand for an entire category of products, as well as being percieved as the best there can be.

It is enormously aspirational. I remember being a little girl and wanting to be able to wear Chanel No 5 like my Mummy. When I was 30 years old, my best friend was a Chanel No 5 girl and I wished I could be as classy as her. (Sadly, No 5 doesn't like me.)

Now before you all start shouting at me, I was talking about perceptions, not about the stuff in the bottle. It's a fantastic piece of engineering, the Chanel brand. Very well managed, too. They have developed a massive fragrance/cosmetics/skincare empire under the umbrella of that little square bottle. I bet it's that empire and the accessories (bags, shoes etc) that bring in the vast majority of Chanel's annual profits.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Just for a moment, think about the public image of No 5 separately from the actual smell. To the person on the street, it represents 'Posh Perfume' and has some great associated brand values of style, classiness, femininity, good taste, chic, Frenchness, glamour and expensiveness. That little square bottle is truly iconic in that it has become a visual shorthand for an entire category of products, as well as being percieved as the best there can be.

It is enormously aspirational. I remember being a little girl and wanting to be able to wear Chanel No 5 like my Mummy. When I was 30 years old, my best friend was a Chanel No 5 girl and I wished I could be as classy as her. (Sadly, No 5 doesn't like me.)

Now before you all start shouting at me, I was talking about perceptions, not about the stuff in the bottle. It's a fantastic piece of engineering, the Chanel brand. Very well managed, too. They have developed a massive fragrance/cosmetics/skincare empire under the umbrella of that little square bottle. I bet it's that empire and the accessories (bags, shoes etc) that bring in the vast majority of Chanel's annual profits.
    I think you're absolutely right re: the umbrella of Chanel 5 parfum. Chanel has always gotten that their brand's reputation hinges on the quality of their fragrances, especially No. 5. They've taken great care with the reformulations of their classics.

I love that square bottle, but it is the worst for storing parfum.
    Last edited by Minou2; 10th December 2008 at 08:54 PM.