Code of Conduct

Thread: Mitsouko

Blog Entries

Smile Mitsouko

After counsulting with Mr. Guerlain, my Guerlain Guru, I purchased a 1.7oz. bottle to try in recent past. The first application was adoration at first spray. Later in the next week I ordered two 3.1oz bottles. Now, it is onward to Jicky. If any of you haven't tried Mitsouko you are missing that moment when you stop to smell the (well maybe not roses) but, you know what I mean. Thanks again Mr.Guerlain.

Default Re: Mitsouko

Mr. G has has had a similar effect on me as well... besides always answering my random Guerlain questions, his enthusiasm, his knowledge, and even the gallery of his beautiful bottle collection prompted me to investigate deep into the line. I've been so enamored with so many of the line that I'm currently on a niche bottle buying freeze (I'm still trading and buying samples) to save up for a large-scale Guerlain purchase of 5-6 bottles.

Blog Entries

Yes, that is me also. Less purchases of better Guerlain fragrances. I'm a Guerlainaholic and yes, Mr. Guerlain is a credit to the basenotes population.

On my immediate list to purchase are some from the L'Art collection, Cuir Beluga, Bois d'Armenie, and maybe Angelique Noire. I'd love a bottle of SDV, Vetiver Pour Elle, and perhaps Vol de Nuit Evasion. Im expecting about 8 Guerlain decants, including Vega, Liu, and Quad Vent La Pluie, which could go on the bottle list as well. I've also ordered vintage Parure and some pure parfums.

You'll love Jicky, btw. If possible pick up the Parfum de Toilette or EdP. All the versions are great, but for longevity purposes I recommend the stronger concentrations.

Off-Scenter

Next stop: try Shalimar, Derby, and Vol de Nuit. L'Heure Bleue works great on us guys, too!

And do not miss Apres l'Ondee, Attrape-Coeurs and Corolian.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th December 2008 at 12:01 AM.

Indeed Mr Guerlain has made me fall head over heels for the house of Guerlain . His collection and passion are inspiring and he is a thoroughly nice person too

Mr. Guerlain's passion has always been a beacon when I feel that I don't understand some of the Guerlain classics. He so eloquently describes each scent, and makes me want to keep trying until my nose finally "gets it". My most recent turnaround was Mitsouko, and do agree that this frag can work wonderfully on a man. I bought the EDP, but I found the EDT to also be very enjoyable. I can see wanting to own more than one concentration.

I also own Shalimar EDP and parfum, Jicky EDP, Habit Rouge EDC. Guerlain is becoming one of the more collected houses in my wardrobe.

Apres L'ondee is what I consider the most artistically 'beautiful' fragrance I've ever experienced. I don't find myself wanting to wear it that often - perhaps because it's now cold out - but I'm so glad I bought it.

I found the EdT a bit too dry, devoid of the woody vanilla amber base that I identify with Guerlain scents. The EdP is my choice.

The cinnamon bark-like note in the parfum is beyond describable, just too good set against the florals and peach which seem more alive in the parfum version. I don't think I'd be able to handle wearing the vintage version of the parfum. The scent (as I remember) was as thick as black velvet.

I'm so happy there's another Mitsouko fan!
    Last edited by iMaverick; 7th December 2008 at 08:22 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I've tried Mitsouko a number of times in both EDT and EDP and was left a bit disappointed. Yesterday I finally got to try the extract and I'm finally convinced! I'd love to own this own but can't afford to spend that kind of money yet
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I've tried the EdT and I'm a believer, to say the least

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Tesla & Co. - those comments just made my heart jump! It really makes me happy if some of you share my passion for this house. As I wrote somewhere on my blog: Although some claim that the Guerlain universe has an "intellectual edge", Guerlain perfumes are basically more about flesh than mind, more emotion than thinking, more play than conversation - I think this is what I really love about Guerlain: It's perfumery's Woody Allen, intelligent but fun! Someone has said that Guerlain often has taken other perfumers' creations - like Coty's Chypre - and played with them to "make them laugh" - like Mitsouko.

Today's Mitsouko, especially the new EdP, actually "laughs" more than old day's Mitsouko - it's warmer, brighter and less dry. I have a vintage Mitsouko EdT that - especially during the first hour - feels much drier and greener and vetiver-ier than the new one. I like both versions.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Apres L'ondee is what I consider the most artistically 'beautiful' fragrance I've ever experienced. I don't find myself wanting to wear it that often - perhaps because it's now cold out - but I'm so glad I bought it.
    I wholeheartedly agree re: Apres l'Ondee. A few weeks ago I tested a small sample from TPC that I'd forgotten I had. Beautiful! Just about everything you could want or expect in a perfume, packed into that little vial. Alas, it's a bit too feminine for me to use, but I'd love to smell it on a woman.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Tesla & Co. - those comments just made my heart jump! It really makes me happy if some of you share my passion for this house. As I wrote somewhere on my blog: Although some claim that the Guerlain universe has an "intellectual edge", Guerlain perfumes are basically more about flesh than mind, more emotion than thinking, more play than conversation - I think this is what I really love about Guerlain: It's perfumery's Woody Allen, intelligent but fun! Someone has said that Guerlain often has taken other perfumers' creations - like Coty's Chypre - and played with them to "make them laugh" - like Mitsouko.

Today's Mitsouko, especially the new EdP, actually "laughs" more than old day's Mitsouko - it's warmer, brighter and less dry. I have a vintage Mitsouko EdT that - especially during the first hour - feels much drier and greener and vetiver-ier than the new one. I like both versions.
    Mr G, the new formulation of the EDT also is a bit more vetiver-y than the new EDP, which has a bit more cinnamon-peach. The EDP indeed has vetiver, but it doesn't present itself as quickly as in the EDT, and it seems more couched in the cinnamon-peach and resins. As a matter of fact, the vetiver is what really grabbed me in both concentrations--it is gorgeous.

What a beautiful and precise way of describing the vetiver in Mitsouko EdP: "couched in the cinnamon-peach and resins".

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Mr G, the new formulation of the EDT also is a bit more vetiver-y than the new EDP, which has a bit more cinnamon-peach. The EDP indeed has vetiver, but it doesn't present itself as quickly as in the EDT, and it seems more couched in the cinnamon-peach and resins. As a matter of fact, the vetiver is what really grabbed me in both concentrations--it is gorgeous.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I've tried Mitsouko a number of times in both EDT and EDP and was left a bit disappointed. Yesterday I finally got to try the extract and I'm finally convinced! I'd love to own this own but can't afford to spend that kind of money yet
    The parfum was what finally sold me on Mitsouko as well. It has a depth, richness, and dark softness about it that the other concentrations just can't match.

Thanks Mr. Guerlain! Hopefully I will remember I said it when I eventually write a review...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Mr. Guerlain's passion has always been a beacon when I feel that I don't understand some of the Guerlain classics. He so eloquently describes each scent, and makes me want to keep trying until my nose finally "gets it". My most recent turnaround was Mitsouko, and do agree that this frag can work wonderfully on a man. I bought the EDP, but I found the EDT to also be very enjoyable. I can see wanting to own more than one concentration.

I also own Shalimar EDP and parfum, Jicky EDP, Habit Rouge EDC. Guerlain is becoming one of the more collected houses in my wardrobe.
    Glad to hear that you did a 'turnaround' on Mitsouko Asha.

And if you like the vetiver 'part' of the formualtions you've tried, you must try to seek out the vintage parfum. The one I have is very moss/vetiver prominent.

The one formualtion I have NOT smelled, is the Eau de Cologne - does anyone own it? I think you do right Ulrik?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    The parfum was what finally sold me on Mitsouko as well. It has a depth, richness, and dark softness about it that the other concentrations just can't match.
    Indeed it does, but the main reason for me is that it's simply the only formulation that doesn't get sucked up by my skin within the hour!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I believe I smelled the EDT or EDP - it was years ago; I don't remember - on a tester strip and wasn't particularly captivated, but recently a generous Basenoter sent me some of the parfum and I love it! I can see why this is such a hugely popular fragrance now; I couldn't before.

I so wish I could share everyones joy and love of Mitsouko.
    I tried really hard to like it, but she ended up smelling like a cheap lotion on my skin.
    I'm not sure what concentration I tested, but I think it could've been edp. I bought L'Heure Bleue edp from the same store that day. L'Heure Bleue and I are in love!
    Not so with Mitsouko. I tried to detect the peach note that everyone speaks of... yet it eluded me.
    Perhaps the tester was "off"?
    Are the differences between concentrations so significant that I should try them all?
    Maybe she just doesn't like me.

I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun.

Mitsouko is my mom's signature scent and was my grandmother's. As a result, I have more memories associated with it than with any other perfume. However, as you can imagine, I cannot see myself wearing it!

On the other hand, all that early Mitsouko exposure made me attracted to Guerlinade (the accord, not the now-discontinued perfume). Now I am very much a Guerlain Zombie®.

I'm saving up to buy: Jicky, Apres l'Ondee, and Eau de Guerlain.

And I'm hoping to sample soon: Derby, Heritage, L'Instant PH (perhaps in the concentrée version), Vol de Nuit, Mouchoir de Monsieur, L'Heure Bleu and Sous le Vent.

What a house!
    Last edited by PhinClio; 14th December 2008 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    I so wish I could share everyones joy and love of Mitsouko.
    I tried really hard to like it, but she ended up smelling like a cheap lotion on my skin.
    I'm not sure what concentration I tested, but I think it could've been edp. I bought L'Heure Bleue edp from the same store that day. L'Heure Bleue and I are in love!
    Not so with Mitsouko. I tried to detect the peach note that everyone speaks of... yet it eluded me.
    Perhaps the tester was "off"?
    Are the differences between concentrations so significant that I should try them all?
    Maybe she just doesn't like me.

I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun.
    Q, please do try all the concentrations. I have samples of EDT, EDP and parfum from The Perfumed Court. None of them clicked with me for a very long time. Eventually it happened, though. I found the EDT to be more citrus and vetiver, and the EDP had more peach to my nose. I must revisit the parfum as it has been a long time since I last tried it.
    Last edited by Asha; 14th December 2008 at 04:19 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Yes - try the others Q. It's possible you might not like any of them, but at least give yourself the chance.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike and Asha,
    Thanks for the advice. I'll revisit the edp from another source and try the other concentrations.

Mitsouko is a challenging fragrance. Shalimar and L'Heure Blue are so much easier, for a modern person, to wrap their mind around.

My only 'problem' with Mitsouko is that there's a lady at work who has it as her "signature scent". IMO "singature scents" should be outlawed!!
    Last edited by Delmar; 14th December 2008 at 11:58 AM.