Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Arrow Favorite vintage fragrance?

I just on a whim bought a bottle of Tabu at Walgreens, and it smelled amazing for a vintage perfume. So what's your favorite vintage fragrance (just to be clear let's say that vintage means introduced before 1985)

Default Re: Favorite vintage fragrance?

Chanel No 5 of course or what about Diorissimo?
    White Lilly on a cloud 1885

Post Thanks / Like

Paloma Picasso EdP

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This question's a lot easier to answer than Pomander's "3 unlimited purchases": Jicky.

Amazing that one piece of art like this can pierce through time, straight as an arrow, unswayed by trends. Merci, Monsieur Guerlain.

Post Thanks / Like

Shocking by Elsa Schiaparelli

Why Zibeline by Weil, of course.

Monsieur Rochas Concentree (1969) - Old Vintage - Honey Coloured Juice) - Very Hard to find....
    Last edited by Ulises Rodriguez; 7th December 2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: To add Year
    Monsieur Rochas Concentree (1969 - Old Vintage - Honey Coloured Juice) - Hard to find.
    Terre d'Hermès
    LUI by Rochas
    Oscar Per LUI by Oscar de La Renta
    Desir de Rochas Man (New One)
    Eau de Orange Verte Concentree - Hermes
    Eau Sauvage - Dior

Tabac Blond and Shalimar--these have been softened and given dew claws.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly live in the "vintage" world!! At least as far as scents go.
    But here's an easy-to-obtain and perennially popular vintage scent: Eau Sauvage by Dior. An absolute classic, I've worn it for many years and it has happy memories for me.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 8th December 2008 at 02:44 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Mitsouko. It's so complex (to me) and interesting and everytime I smell it I smell something new. A masterpiece!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I love l'Heure Bleue .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Vol de Nuit.
    Bois des Iles.
    Original Femme.
    Original Cabochard.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Many! But...if I had to pick a few:

Coty Chypre (no longer made)
    Chanel No 19 (still made, but reformulated)
    Guerlain Mitsouko (same)
    Bal a Versailles (same)
    Miss Dior (same)
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit (same)
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Post Thanks / Like

To me, "vintage" means a specific bottle of fragrance that was actually released before 1990 or so, preferably 1985; there are so many new EU regulations on perfume ingredients that many of the classics are unrecognizable. Plus, the manufacturers seem to pour their budgets into the new releases, meanwhile cheapening the allowable ingredients for the old ones. Almost none of the classic perfumes have escaped this tinkering.

The ideal, at least for me, would be a vintage perfume, released pre-1980, from the original perfume company, never opened, stored in its box, in a cool space like a cellar, preferably a Guerlain or Chanel, as I've read that they are the ones that hold up best.

I hear that Tabu is still pretty good. But I wonder what it must have smelled like way back when.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Post Thanks / Like

I've just begun an "affordable classics" kick. It must be the economy.

I am wearing Aramis right now. Got it on sale at the corner Rite Aid last night. A whopping $20 investment.

Also love Youth Dew (bought at Marshalls for $10), and wear it often.

Been meaning to hit up the Estee Lauder counter and delve more deeply into those classics.

I smelled the original Tabac Blond. And then the new one. And really, it's heartbreaking. I would like to say Tabac Blond; the true vintage version of it. I keep teetering on the edge of getting a bottle of the current formulation (because it's still a rather stunning scent), but it's like saying - hey, you've still got a pretty face - when all your limbs have been amputated.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought two Guerlains recently, Apres L'Ondee and Jardins de Bagatelle which I am really enjoying

Post Thanks / Like

Caron's Poivre, the real vintage version. What is available now is heartbreaking. How could they do that to it?
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I opened this thread just to see which fragrance you selected. I thought it might be Shocking! It is my favorite vintage women's scent as well!

For me, it is 'Vintage' Tabarome followed closely by Derby, Macassar, Chanel pour Monsieur (1955) and Kolnisch Juchten.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

1000, No. 19, Chypre de Coty, Coco, Chamade, Mitsouko, Aromatics Elixir, Youth Dew, L'Heure Bleue, Bois des Iles, to name a few.

Alliage, Gres Cabochard,Revlon youth dew

Post Thanks / Like

Caron Farnesiana.

I have more than a few vintage favourites:

Lanvin Scandal plus any of the older Guerlains, Chanels and Carons.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All Guerlains by Jacques: Après l'Ondée, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, plus Jicky by Aimé
    Caron N'Aimez Que Moi, Tabac Blond, Narcisse Noir, Nuit de Noël, Poivre & Coup de Fouet
    Last edited by tigrushka; 21st December 2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: added one
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Yeah, that's mine too. It's my all-time favourite in the world, EVER.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I have a lot of vintage favorites.
    l'Heure Bleue
    Tabac Blond
    Shalimar
    Jicky
    Vol de Nuit
    Nuit de Noël
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Tabac Blond
    Shalimar
    Emeraude
    Youth Dew

Post Thanks / Like

I love Tabu! I don't wear it though because it was my grandmother's scent (Tabu and Pond's cold cream). On the difference between old and vintage: Most of what I do wear are old fragrances and I did go so far as to buy an unopened vintage bottle of Rive Gauche at an estate sale because I don't really like the new formulation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Favorite vintage fragrance?

Vintage Arpege extrait, i had been hunting for the original formulation, ever since i used the Edt in the 80's. Was quite disappointed after i bought the new reformulated stuff in 2010, and gave it away. I just bought off Ebay, in its original sealed package, a quarter ounce bottle of Extrait, and it's out of this world, and exactly the way i remember.

Even better, when I Bought it, the seller asked me if i'd take a pic of the bottle when i opened it, and send it to her, so i did just that, and she explained that this had been her mother's perfume, and she had always urged her mother to open it, and wear it, and the mother never did. The mother died in 2010, and so I was happy to receive this legacy. The lady i bought it from seems to be delighted it's gone to a good home and is sending me a boxful of vintage stuff. She refuses to accept any payment, is quite adamant about it, she is just happy they are coming to a good home. I insisted upon paying shipping costs, which is the very least I can do. I just thought it was a lovely story and wanted to share it on a vintage fragrance thread.

I am also mighty fond of Shocking You by Elsa Schiaparelli.

I think i may just be a bit of a vintage obsessive, though nothing will ever replace my Coromandel in number one spot

Diorella, Dioressence and Biagiotti's Venezia. I also own an original bottle of Halston, that I like to spray from time to time.
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post
    Vintage Arpege extrait, i had been hunting for the original formulation, ever since i used the Edt in the 80's. Was quite disappointed after i bought the new reformulated stuff in 2010, and gave it away. I just bought off Ebay, in its original sealed package, a quarter ounce bottle of Extrait, and it's out of this world, and exactly the way i remember.

Even better, when I Bought it, the seller asked me if i'd take a pic of the bottle when i opened it, and send it to her, so i did just that, and she explained that this had been her mother's perfume, and she had always urged her mother to open it, and wear it, and the mother never did. The mother died in 2010, and so I was happy to receive this legacy. The lady i bought it from seems to be delighted it's gone to a good home and is sending me a boxful of vintage stuff. She refuses to accept any payment, is quite adamant about it, she is just happy they are coming to a good home. I insisted upon paying shipping costs, which is the very least I can do. I just thought it was a lovely story and wanted to share it on a vintage fragrance thread.
    What a wonderful story Scent-imental!! Thanks for sharing this with us. (excuse me while I drool) Please do update us when you receive your package of goodies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post

I am also mighty fond of Shocking You by Elsa Schiaparelli.

I think i may just be a bit of a vintage obsessive, though nothing will ever replace my Coromandel in number one spot
    What a pleasant surprise for you! To find someone so nice early in your new avocation is wonderful indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Paco Rabanne Calandre

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

N°5, Must Pour Femme Parfum, Fahrenheit, M7
    Last edited by Alvus; 16th August 2012 at 05:20 PM.

My favorite is Reviilion pour homme, However, why have they discountinued this classic frangarance and why doesn't some one buy the rights and reintroduce it ???

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Miss Dior and Diorella the earlier the better.

Yours
    Mrs Cat Bum fetishist

I have a list of favourite vitnage fragrances: old formulations of Caron fragrances are just divine, Turbulenses, Je Reviens by Worth, Opium by YSL. I wish I had full vintage bottles of too many to mention Chanel and Guerlain fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Update:
    Package has been shipped priority - it will arrive monday, and the lady won't accept even shipping costs from me. So hubster and me racked our brains, what we can send her as a thank you gift. I hope she s fond of King Crab Legs, and Smoked Sockeye Salmon, cos i live in Alaska now. Those are considered "good gifts"

Post Thanks / Like

Dana, Tabu
    Lanvin, My Sin
    No, I am not black, yes, I am African.

Miss Dior & N°5
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh gosh, I've got loads of favorites which pre-date 1985 -

Chanel Coco - '84
    Vent Vert - '47
    Guerlain Chamade - '69
    Calvin Klein for Women - '78 (dc)
    Gucci No 1 - '74 (dc)
    Gucci No 3 - '85 (dc)
    Flora Danica - '80 (dc)
    K de Krizia - '81
    Caron Infini - '70
    Revillon Detchema - '53 (dc)
    Faberge Babe - '77 (dc)
    Mystère de Rochas - '78 (dc)
    Givenchy Ysatis - '84
    Avon Occur! - '62 (dc)
    Avon Topaze - '59 (dc)
    Molyneux Quartz- '77
    Ralph Lauren Lauren - '78 (dc)
    Ralph Lauren Tuxedo - '79 (dc)

There are more but these are some of the ones that I always keep an eye out for in their original formulations, and a lot have been completely discontinued ...actually Chamade is still quite good, but the vintage stuff is just divine.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I forgot another couple of vintages I have bottles and back ups of:

Givenchy III
    Opium the earlier the better but the Secret de Parfum is pretty damn good

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been waiting home all day, feverishly for my package of goodies. On this day, of all days, he didn't come till 3.45pm. And it was like Christmas, opening this. Of note, are two discontinued fragrances:
    Diana Von Furstenburg - Tatiana and the ne i have just sprayed Avon - Natori and i am loving that, it's unusual and i haven't yet spent the time analysing the notes.
    There are 8 empty old bottles, and 2 very old atomisers with the puff ball thing, that you squirt.
    There is a set of milk glass, hand painted Devon Violets3 bottles of that, one is half full, rest are empty.
    There's a milk Glass Avon Lavender Cologne.
    There are 5 minis 2 modern, 3 old.
    And there's a vanity set of Royal Bavaria, including a puff ball atomiser, and a little ashtray thing, that has spaces for cigarettes, and one for matches. .

All in all very exciting. Some will be sold, some are going to my neighbours mother who collects old perfume bottles, and i will keep the discontinued stuff. This Natori is really lovely, i would never have guessed it was Avon. It smells expensive.
    What a thrilling day, and an exciting package. I'd take pictures, but i m not sure how to add them successfully, my last attempt failed, despite following the instructions on the help page, to the letter.

Post Thanks / Like

My HG scent has always been Secret de Venus de Zibeilene oil. I miss the original Jungle Gardenia, Tuvara, Nectaroma, and Sumatra by Tuvache, Rumeur (original) by Lanvin, 20 Carats and Emir by Dana. Last, but not least, Tigress by Faberge.

Quote Originally Posted by embers View Post
    Rumeur (original) by Lanvin
    Oh yes! There is nothing like it!

My 2 faves were the ones my gran and my mum always wore. Chantilly and Giorgio. I'm getting into some different vintage scents, have some samples of chanel 19, and youth dew on their way.

Post Thanks / Like

- Paco Rabanne ph
    - Davidoff Relax
    - Givenchy Insense
    - D&G ph
    - Cool Water

Only the vintage versions of course
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Solo (Absoluto)
    - Chanel: Antaeus
    - Chanel: Egoïste
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'll list only the ones that I think are no longer around in good form or are otherwise totally discontinued ...

Hmm pre-1985 ... In original (or at least early) formula:

1. Caron: Infini, Narcisse Noir, En Avion, Tabac Blond, Bellodgia ... hell, all of the feminines, murdered as they are.
    2. Balenciaga: ALL of the pre-85 ones!
    3. Patou: Caline, 1000, Joy (probably all of them, but those are the only I've experienced).
    4. Balmain: Ivoire, Jolie Madame, Miss Balmain, Vent Vert
    5. Guerlain: L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Jicky, Chamade
    6. Rochas: Femme, Madame
    7. Nina Ricci: Fille d'Eve, Coeur-Joie, L'Air du Temps, Farouche
    8. Carven: Ma Griffe
    9. Lanvin: Arpege, My Sin
    10. YSL: Opium, Rive Gauche
    11. Coty: Muguet, Chypre
    12. Givenchy: Ysatis, Gentleman
    13. Lancome: Magie Noire ... and I'll stop at that unlucky number ...

Oh, wail ... poor, poor big beautiful vintage lovelies! Yes, there are still some nice perfumes around now. But the carnage!

Thumbs up Re: Favorite vintage fragrance?

I pretty much live a vintage scent life: Jicky; Eau Sauvage; Arpege; Chant d'Aromes; Noir et Or; En Avion and Vol De Nuit. But my fave? JICKY1
    "It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent"

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

vintage no.19 but only the vintage, wowzers!

tabac blonde scores very highly, as does bois des iles, bal a versailles..

Post Thanks / Like

1. Caron: Infini, Narcisse Noir, En Avion, Tabac Blond, Bellodgia ... hell, all of the feminines, murdered as they are.
    2. Balenciaga: ALL of the pre-85 ones!
    3. Patou: Caline, 1000, Joy (probably all of them, but those are the only I've experienced).
    4. Balmain: Ivoire, Jolie Madame, Miss Balmain, Vent Vert
    5. Guerlain: L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Jicky, Chamade
    6. Rochas: Femme, Madame
    7. Nina Ricci: Fille d'Eve, Coeur-Joie, L'Air du Temps, Farouche
    8. Carven: Ma Griffe
    9. Lanvin: Arpege, My Sin
    10. YSL: Opium, Rive Gauche
    11. Coty: Muguet, Chypre
    12. Givenchy: Ysatis, Gentleman
    13. Lancome: Magie Noire ... and I'll stop at that unlucky number ...
    We seem to have simmilar tastes, and I'm very pleased to see someone mentioning some Nina Ricci fragrances. You nailed all my favourites! Love that you listed Caline too.

I think Caline makes for a perfect illustration of what 'vintage' is all about, and why some of us are constantly drawn back into the past when it comes to perfume. That something like this could have been considered a scent for young girls really seems absurd in the current clime, where such a thing would consist almost exlusively of celebrity endorsed treacle and bottled candy.

+1 to Je Reviens. Glad to see someone giving it some love. I'd also include Dans la Nuit, Vers Toi, Sans Adieu, Imprudence and Miss Worth.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This last year or so, my favorite genres oriental and gourmands
    has been replaced by old female florals - preferably aldehydic.
    I still adore my cloying mothers, but, them vintage females are
    just so darn spellbounding.

Some of my obsessions right now, in no particular order:

- Madame Rochas
    - Arpège
    - Chanel N°5
    - Chanel N°22
    - Miss Dior
    - Calèche
    - Ma Griffe
    - Jean-Louis Scherrer
    - Ysatis de Givenchy
    - Shocking
    - Aromatics Elixir

Shalimar, in all of it's reincarnations, remains my favorite...with Mitsouko close behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Parure. This is just chypre perfection IMO.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mitsouko
    Rive Gauche
    Cabochard