Code of Conduct

Default Something clicked with (some of) the classics

So on my perfume wander at the mall today, for the very first time I liked:

Mitsouko (EDT)
    L'Heure Bleue (EDT)
    Chanel No. 5 EDT
    Chanel No. 5 Parfum (I think. They assured me that it wasn't the EDP.)
    Jicky (Probably EDT)
    And, a few days ago, Arpege.

The only one of these that I didn't previously have an "eew" reaction to was Mitsouko.

So, woohoo! I have no idea why, but this seems like something to celebrate. It's not that I want to force myself to like the classics, it's more that if so many people like them, there has to be value there, and I want to perceive it.

So, er...no actual question here. I'm just happy. And building a mini-decant order so that I can smell some of the EDPs and pure parfums of the Guerlains. And I sent off for the smallest bottle of the Mitsouko EDT, even though so many reviews say to get at least the EDP. I'm cheap. For the moment.

Crayfish

Default Re: Something clicked with (some of) the classics

Yeah, congrats! I always love "getting" something new that clearly has a history. It's a great moment of joining the larger discussion. Good fun!

Off-Scenter

Sometimes it takes a bit of perspective to appreciate a complex scent, classic or otherwise. I've often had the experience of suddenly "getting" fragrances I'd long been adverse or indifferent to, including Santal Noble, Iris Bleu Gris, Ambre Sultan, Jicky, Muscs Koublai Khan, and Fumerie Turque, among others.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 7th December 2008 at 08:02 PM.

Animalic floral notes can do that, especially if you are unfamiliar with them. I'm not a big fan of any animalic notes, unless very discretely handled. I'm still not sure if I want to keep my bottles of frags like Shalimar Light and Habit Rouge, but there's no rush. I'll sample at least a couple more times over the next 2 or 3 months before even considering a decision to swap or sell them off. I just find the more "modern" frags to be more enjoyable, especially some of the spicy or gourmand ones (or the ones I call "hybrids"). I think skin chemistry may be crucial for the classics too. In any case, at least I feel I understand the older frags, regardless of whether I decide to continue to wear them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Sometimes it takes a bit of perspective to appreciate a complex scent, classic or otherwise. I've often had the experience of suddenly "getting" fragrances I'd long been adverse or indifferent to, including Santal Noble, Iris Bleu Gris, Ambre Sultan, Jicky, Muscs Koublai Khan, and Fumerie Turque, among others.
    Amouage gold? (which reminds me....I have some testing to do...)
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Amouage gold? (which reminds me....I have some testing to do...)
    Snigger snigger...

Still not sure whether it's a reformulation that's sold me on that one.

Freakishly, I'm finding myself not only appreciating them, but _craving_ them, especially L'Heure Bleue. I want to own one now.

Which, actually, raises another question: I went looking online for the Guerlains after looking at them at the department store. At what I believe are highly respectable discounters, I'm noticing that the EDTs seem to be massively, massively discounted from department store prices - a 50% or greater discount. The EDPs seem to be much closer to the department store prices, and the pure parfums even closer.

I'm wondering why this is?

I'm reminded of a newspaper article that told me that a restaurant generally makes more money from a cheap pasta entree than an expensive steak entree, because the ingredients for the steak entree cost disproportionately more, but people are still willing to pay only so much for an entree.

Is the perfume situation similar? Are the ingredients for the stronger concentrations far more expensive, so that the weaker concentrations leave more room to offer discounts and still make a profit? Or...?

Crayfish