Code of Conduct

Default SotW November 28th-December 5th, 2008

Welcome to Week 40 Perfumistas and Colognoisseurs it was such a big week that it took 18 scents to make a top 10. Here are the raw numbers for the week. There were 1,260 total posts representing 743 different scents. 482 of those scents were worn just once for an individuality index of 38.3%. There were 65 new scents logged in for the first time in Week 40. 17 of those 65 new scents were posted due to the Celebuscent SSD which started out the week. I think the Celebuscent SSD also led to another mark as the 743 scents logged in this week is a new high, as well. Because of the Celebuscent SSD I expected the individuality index to be above 40% this week and am surprised it is not. More evidence that there is a narrower range of choices in the colder weather for Basenotes Nation.
    The big 5 Houses were led by Guerlain, as usual. Guerlain posted 112 wears over 35 scents led by Habit Rouge in the #1 slot with 16 wears. Vetiver was #2 followed by LíHeure Bleue and Shalimar tied for #4. Heritage makes a fifth Guerlain in the top 10 in the large group tied for #10.
    Serge Lutens was second this week but didnít even pull half as many wears as Guerlain as it posted 51 times over 21 scents. Chergui continues its run and is tied for #4 this week as the House leader. Surprisingly with such a large Top 10 this week that was the only Serge Lutens to chart. Chanel had 44 wears over 17 scents. Egoiste led the way and is also tied for #4. Creed had 35 wears over 14 scents. In a bit of a surprise Green Irish Tweed led the house at #9 followed one wear behind at #10 by Bois du Portugal. That leaves the sad deflated House of Hermes with only 24 wears over 10 scents led by Terre DíHermes which squeaks into the scrum tied at #10. Guerlain was so dominant that if you added up Chanel, Creed and Hermes Guerlain still had more wears and placed more scents in the top 10. There is no house that is comparable on Basenotes to Guerlain from a stats point of view.
    In the other houses Christian Dior had a nice week led by the #3 scent Dior Homme. The remaining scent in the tie for #4 was Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme which led a good week for that House. Caron was up with Caron pour Un Homme making the top 10 at #10. Michale Storer has seen its wears start to rise especially as Winter Star generates some interest in the House as a whole. Ralph Lauren sunk back a little this week as it looks like the Polo Modern Reserve halo is gone. Polo Modern Reserve tallied 0 wears this week . Penhaligonís and Divine saw above average weeks this week. Divine is benefitting from the testing of the new líEtre Aime scents for both men and women. Estee Lauder was back down this week.
    Another trend Iíve been noticing. In the beginning of tallying the scents as the weather got warmer the vetiver based scents really increased in their wears. Now as the weather is turning cooler the vetiver scents are dropping to lower levels. The note that looks to be taking its place is vanilla. Iíve noticed a resurgence in vanilla focused scents particularly in the last couple of weeks. This could be that we as a community see them as festive scents for the holidays and come January theyíll retreat a bit but Iím going to keep watching this trend and see if it holds.
    As I said at the beginning it is an expanded top 10 as we had 9 scents with 7 wears tie for #10. In that group Amouage Jubilation XXV makes a return after 4 weeks on the sidelines. Burberry London for Men continues its strong run coming out of its SSD in November. Czech & Speake #88 continues to find increased wears the last couple of weeks. Tauer LíAir du Desert Marocain continues its remarkable run of top 10ís. Finally, the last scent in this group is Parfumerie Generale Aomassai. This is due to one generous Basenoter doing her perfume version of Johnny Appleseed and sending out a bunch of samples of this one. I am curious to see if this results in increased wears down the line for this one.
    Now the top 10 for November 29th- December 5th, 2008
    1.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 16 wears (1.3%)
    2.) Guerlain Vetivwer 14 wears (1.1%)
    3.) Dior Homme 10 wears (0.8%)
    4.) Chanel Egoiste 9 wears (0.7%)
    4.) Guerlain LíHeure Bleue 9 wears (0.7%)
    4.) Guerlain Shalimar 9 wears (0.7%)
    4.) Serge Lutens Chergui 9 wears (0.7%)
    4.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 9 wears (0.7%)
    9.) Creed Green Irish Tweed 8 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Amouage Jubilation XXV 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Burberry London for Men 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Caron pour Un Homme 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Creed Bois du Portugal 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Czech & Speake #88 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Guerlain Heritage 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Hermes Terre DíHermes 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Parfumerie Generale Aomassai 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Tauer LíAir du Desert Marocain 7 wears (0.6%)

Seven scents just missed this week. Burberry Brit for Men, Bond #9 New Haarlem, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, YSL Opium pour Homme, Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Thierry Mugler Angel and the weekís top new scent Prada Infusion DíHomme. Versace pour Homme was the next highest new scent two wears further back. Thatís it for Week 40 Basenotes Nation.
    As always, you keep wearing Ďem and Iíll keep counting Ďem.
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotW November 28th-December 5th, 2008

SMM, thank you so much for your continuing reports! I didn't have a chance to reply to your monthly and quarterly reports from last week, but eventually did read them and found them fascinating. Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    4.) Serge Lutens Chergui 9 wears (0.7%)
    Well, now I know what all the fuss is about. This stuff is lovely!

Thanks very much, SMM! I can only imagine how much work this project makes for you. You deserve Basenotes' highest honors.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    You deserve Basenotes' highest honors.
    Yes, let's bronze him!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I still don't get the charm of chergui, I'll try the sample again that I got but I thought it was vile. Maybe the sample is off?
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.