Code of Conduct

Default Paco Rabanne Calandre versions

Today, I finally pulled out my nearly empty atomizer of Paco Rabanne Calandre, and wore it. It is lovely, but here's the thing. . . . this silver refillable atomizer was purchased by my mother, and she used it prior to my picking it up from her after graduate school. I've never before pulled the cartridge out until this year. The juice inside is an orange color, very different from the pictures online that I've seen of pale greenish juice. What gives? Has it turned? Or is this a different formulation? (Edit: In doing searches of the forums, I see that it has been reformulated because of the oakmoss. I'm guessing that my version is prior to reformulation, unless. . . . how many reformulations has Calandre undergone, anyway?)

And how many versions are there? My bottle and box do not really tell me if this is an EdC or EdP. It merely says
    "parfum calandre" on the bottom, as well as a reference number and volume and "made in France" etc. The nearest picture with similar color that I could find was this one on Ebay which is listed as being the "pure perfume" -- http://cgi.ebay.es/Paco-Rabanne-CALA...mZ250330046777.

I'd post a picture of my bottle, but I'm lazy tonight. Perhaps tomorrow?

I remember thinking Calandre smelled metallic to me. But today, I am getting more "plums" than metal. Almost Mitsouko-like to me, with the plums, except the plum doesn't go away. It's still with me, 7 hours later. Lots of sillage. Husband hates it. But I don't give a hootenanny! I definitely feel the 70's vibe. Calandre is like a wearable Cristalle EdT to me. Cristalle EdT seems to turn sour on my skin, instead of keeping that lovely sharp metallic smell. And, reading others' reviews, yes, there is some honey-like smell in the drydown. I never noticed that before today.
    Last edited by Aiona; 8th December 2008 at 02:50 AM.

Default Re: Paco Rabanne Calandre versions

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Today, I finally pulled out my nearly empty atomizer of Paco Rabanne Calandre, and wore it. It is lovely, but here's the thing. . . . this silver refillable atomizer was purchased by my mother, and she used it prior to my picking it up from her after graduate school. I've never before pulled the cartridge out until this year. The juice inside is an orange color, very different from the pictures online that I've seen of pale greenish juice. What gives? Has it turned? Or is this a different formulation? (Edit: In doing searches of the forums, I see that it has been reformulated because of the oakmoss. I'm guessing that my version is prior to reformulation, unless. . . . how many reformulations has Calandre undergone, anyway?)

And how many versions are there? My bottle and box do not really tell me if this is an EdC or EdP. It merely says
    "parfum calandre" on the bottom, as well as a reference number and volume and "made in France" etc. The nearest picture with similar color that I could find was this one on Ebay which is listed as being the "pure perfume" -- http://cgi.ebay.es/Paco-Rabanne-CALA...mZ250330046777.

I'd post a picture of my bottle, but I'm lazy tonight. Perhaps tomorrow?

I remember thinking Calandre smelled metallic to me. But today, I am getting more "plums" than metal. Almost Mitsouko-like to me, with the plums, except the plum doesn't go away. It's still with me, 7 hours later. Lots of sillage. Husband hates it. But I don't give a hootenanny! I definitely feel the 70's vibe. Calandre is like a wearable Cristalle EdT to me. Cristalle EdT seems to turn sour on my skin, instead of keeping that lovely sharp metallic smell. And, reading others' reviews, yes, there is some honey-like smell in the drydown. I never noticed that before today.
    I wore Calandre in the 80's and assume it was the original formula then...it was a pale green color in a clear splash bottle. That particular bottle (splash) didn't have the metal frame you see now on some bottles, but subsequent bottles I've owned have. I've never seen it with orange juice!

I wore Calandre a lot in the '70s, in both the eau de toilette and the pure parfum. The metallic note it was famous for was much "forward" in the edt - noticeable in the first moments it hit the air. The same note in the parfum was a bit slower in takeoff, but definitely there, and present until burning off very late in the drydown. The color in both formulations was somewhat yellower than the greenish hue in more current versions.

I'm not sure what the story is with your orange-tinged juice. I will tell you though that the currently available version of Calandre is a complete and utter sham. There's a ghost of its former self in the topnotes, and then it dries down to a very generic, muddled, half-hearted green chypre-ish scent. The metallic zing, that haunting note that was Calandre's soul, is no more. I think the Paco Rabanne firm has been gradually downgrading both Calandre and the later scent called Métal for a long time to the point of no return.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 8th December 2008 at 04:04 PM.

Great. Just when I was getting over my fear of using up the last of my measly bit of it.

I really should get my hands on a new bottle and test-compare.

I shall take a picture of this bottle sometime. But not tonight. I honestly wonder, if maybe some of it evaporated, kinda like that Saddest Bottle of L'Heure Bleue that was for sale on Ebay back last spring. No one had opened it, but it had kind of vaporized away to nothing but a bit of brown residue in the bottom of the bottle.

This was originally a 5 ml (0.17 oz) atomizer. My mom is not known for using the perfumes she buys, so I thought it unusual that it seemed most was now gone. 'Could be that this pale yellow juice is now concentrated down to a little bitty 2 ml?

Anyway. It still smells lovely, and now I'm even more sad to think that it truly is irreplaceable.

Don't be sad, Aiona. Use it, love it, memorize it. If you eke it out for too long it will just deteriorate further, as all physical manifestation is wont to do.