Code of Conduct

Default Encre Noir Pronunciation

There really is no need for a thread completely dedicated to this topic, but seeing as how I really don't know any other place to ask it then here it shall go. So that I don't completely embaress myself later on tonight when I ask for Encre Noir at Saks, how in the hell do you pronounce it? Oh and just so no one says it, I checked every single pronunciation related thread and nothing mentions encre noir. Thanks Guys!

Default Re: Encre Noir Pronunciation

My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I pronounce it on-cray new-are
    So far the SA's I've used that pronunciation with have picked up the right bottle.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I pronounce it on-cray new-are
    So far the SA's I've used that pronunciation with have picked up the right bottle.
    That's the Stephen Hawking pronunciation you're using (no disrespect). I'll go with Igor01's.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    There really is no need for a thread completely dedicated to this topic, but seeing as how I really don't know any other place to ask it then here it shall go. So that I don't completely embaress myself later on tonight when I ask for Encre Noir at Saks, how in the hell do you pronounce it?
    Not that it changes the pronunciation much, but the correct spelling is Encre Noire. "Encre" (ink) is a feminine noun.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Not that it changes the pronunciation much, but the correct spelling is Encre Noire. "Encre" (ink) is a feminine noun.
    Ohhh Thanks for clarifying that. French, is not one of my strong points.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    For sure... but it is too fast. It looks like "Ankgrh Nwah" (LOL!!!)

Why don't you tell the SA that your are looking for Black Ink by Lalique? It shows you know french - even if you don't - and, besides, you don't have to pronounce it. And it leaves the SA as a perfect ignorant.

Sure, it is the snobish way to ask for a French perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post
    That's the Stephen Hawking pronunciation you're using (no disrespect). I'll go with Igor01's.
    Igor01 is as close as it gets! (I'm french canadian). Just don't say "ahn. kre. noo. are." that's too fragmented. "ahnkrenooare" sounds more fluent.

I'd pronounce it "on-cray nwar" (say nwar, and you'll naturally say noo-arr, but sped up.. noo-arr itself is not correct.. if that makes sense )

The last syllable of the first word is NOT pronounced 'cray'. It should be pronounced like 'could', without the ld (or d, considering the l in 'could' is silent). Savvy?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

the easiest way to pronounce it if your french isn't too hot is 'ONK-ruhh Nwarr', with ONK rhyming with 'honk', 'ruhh' being barely said (so closer overall to just 'onk' than 'onkruhh') and nwarr sounding like 'car', but without the american stress on the final 'r'.

hope that helps.

i'll reiterate what others have said - do not pronounce it 'onk-cray', there is no accent on the final 'e'.

on a related note, the fragrance itself is divine - i bought some just the other day. smooth, smoky, inky, dirty vetiver and incense, yum.

Quote Originally Posted by itsthepens View Post
    the easiest way to pronounce it if your french isn't too hot is 'ONK-ruhh Nwarr', with ONK rhyming with 'honk', 'ruhh' being barely said (so closer overall to just 'onk' than 'onkruhh') and nwarr sounding like 'car', but without the american stress on the final 'r'...
    Yes!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

[ɑ̃kʁənwaʁ]
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Interesting, I took french up to grade 12, and I'd probably pronounce this closer to On-Kwuh new-are, but with more R sounds on the kwuh.

Thanks for all your help guys. Turns out my Saks doesn't carry it, so I placed an order at TPC. I really need to explore the world of vetiver scents and everyone seems to like EN so I figured it was a good place to start (other than Guerlain). On a side note, French must be an amazingly complex language because every time we start a pronunciation thread we get so many different variations.

I really need to explore the world of vetiver scents and everyone seems to like EN so I figured it was a good place to start (other than Guerlain).
    Have you tried Givenchy's Vetiver? For whatever it's worth I prefer it to both Guerlain's and Lalique's offerings. It smells a lot more refined than Guerlain and not unnecessarily visceral like EN (sorry for the blasphemy...)

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    [ɑ̃kʁənwaʁ]
    lol what?

Thanks for all your help guys. Turns out my Saks doesn't carry it, so I placed an order at TPC. I really need to explore the world of vetiver scents and everyone seems to like EN so I figured it was a good place to start (other than Guerlain). On a side note, French must be an amazingly complex language because every time we start a pronunciation thread we get so many different variations.
    EN is superb, very dark take on vetiver.

Keep in mind, there's French and then there's Canadian French, hehheheee.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I've been saying ENK-rah Nwahr.
    But that's obviously wrong given what JaimeB posted. LOL
    Last edited by DULLAH; 9th December 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    [ɑ̃kʁənwaʁ]
    Don't you guys know the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Talking Re: Encre Noir Pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Have you tried Givenchy's Vetiver? For whatever it's worth I prefer it to both Guerlain's and Lalique's offerings. It smells a lot more refined than Guerlain and not unnecessarily visceral like EN (sorry for the blasphemy...)
    i'm becoming desperate to smell the givenchy - guerlain's vetiver is probably as close to a signiture frag as i own. as for EN being 'unneccessarily visceral', i think its dark, ancient, intimately filthy qualities are what make me love it! if only i could afford the EdP for an extra thrust of its magic.....

ãkr nwar

You don't pronounce the two "e" even if it's feminine. The "en" from "encre" is pronounced like the one in "En avion".

It means "Black Ink".
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)