Code of Conduct

Talking Finally we meet! Musc Ravageur

After months waiting to try this, I ordered a sample at TPC, an today it finally arrived! Excellent service, wonderful packaging from the perfumed court.

So this is one of my first experiences with niche, and my first with sampling on skin. Okay very curious I sprayed it on my hand....WOWW!! First of all this has a HUGEE wow-factor. Specially if it's your first niche, I think, maybe I'm wrong, it's an excellent example of what niche can be about. At first it has this "stinking" topnote, although it's stinking but very pleasant.
    What I definately notice when sniffing it, is the quality and dedication that probably went into making this fragrance. It's very very interesting. I do like it, yet I have to give it some time to know if it's for me. The first opinion I got was from my mom, who said: "Too feminine". I definitely understand why she says this, it is kind of feminine, but I don't think it's TOO feminine for a man to wear. On the other hand, my mom is a woman who likes a men to smell like a men, so stuff like Jaipur, Santos, etc.
    To wraps things up, it was a wonderful experience having this as my first niche on skin.
    Last edited by brianroy; 5th December 2008 at 01:53 PM.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Blog Entries

Default Re: Finally we meet! Musc Ravageur

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    After months waiting to try this, I ordered a sample at TPC, an today it finally arrived! Excellent service, wonderful packaging from the perfumed court.

So this is one of my first experiences with niche, and my first with sampling on skin. Okay very curious I sprayed it on my hand....WOWW!! First of all this has a HUGEE wow-factor. Specially if it's your first niche, I think, maybe I'm wrong, it's an excellent example of what niche can be about. At first it has this "stinking" topnote, although it's stinking but very pleasant.
    What I definately notice when sniffing it, is the quality and dedication that probably went into making this fragrance. It's very very interesting. I do like it, yet I have to give it some time to know if it's for me. The first opinion I got was from my mom, who said: "Too feminine". I definitely understand why she says this, it is kind of feminine, but I don't think it's TOO feminine for a man to wear. On the other hand, my mom is a woman who likes a men to smell like a men, so stuff like Jaipur, Santos, etc.
    To wraps things up, it was a wonderful experience having this as my first niche on skin.
    glad to see you like it, man....i remember when i first got exposed to niche scents---a new world opened!

unfortunately, Musc Ravageur is possibly the MOST dissappointing fragrance i've tried all year. So much hype....so little substance. I was expecting a hardcore, no frills musk with lots of depth and majesty-----unfortunately i didn't get that at all.

MR is no joke - one spray is plenty and when I received my sample from TPC I totally overdid with two sprays and was overwhelmed.

For me, once I started obtaining niche samples I could stop. I started a thread like this one when I got to 50 samples back in September. I'm around 400 now and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

MR is one of my favorites. My girlfriend absolutely loves it too - it's like a pupil dilating scent to her.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

glad to see you like it, man....i remember when i first got exposed to niche scents---a new world opened!

unfortunately, Musc Ravageur is possibly the MOST disappointing fragrance I've tried all year. So much hype....so little substance. I was expecting a hardcore, no frills musk with lots of depth and majesty-----unfortunately i didn't get that at all.
    Thanks too bad you didn't like it. It's true a new world did open. It's frustrating to read every day about Creed, Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle and so on and so on, without having any idea what it smells like. TPC is a revelation to me. My other orders were Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Creed SMW, Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille.
    Last edited by brianroy; 5th December 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks too bad you didn't like it. It's true a new world did open. It's frustrating to read every day about Creed, Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle and so on and so on, without having any idea what it smells like. TPC is a revelation to me. My other orders were Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Creed SMW, Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille.
    The Borneo and Double Vanille are off the charts great... I'm not so hip on SMW but that's me. The SDV is strong stuff and it goes through many phases of development. If you like Borneo, try Chanel Coromandel. When you order from TPC, keep an eye out for their specials that allow you to get multiple fragrances from a single house at a discount, or their 'packages' of fragrances from a single genre.

I too am sorry Everso did not like it. IMO it is great. "To each his own." Would like to know how you liked Borneo as I maight want this too.
    Last edited by richard d; 5th December 2008 at 07:02 PM.

So today you sampled your first niche...

say bye to you money
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

So today you sampled your first niche...

say bye to you money
    Hahaha well I was already spending to much on designer and specially on backups of D&G By Man that is just as expensive as a niche nowadays. But you're right I think I'll be ordering a lot of niche-samples in the next couple of months and that ain't gonna be cheap.

The Borneo and Double Vanille are off the charts great... I'm not so hip on SMW but that's me. The SDV is strong stuff and it goes through many phases of development. If you like Borneo, try Chanel Coromandel. When you order from TPC, keep an eye out for their specials that allow you to get multiple fragrances from a single house at a discount, or their 'packages' of fragrances from a single genre.
    Thanks for the advice

Smells like SEX to me.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I'm tempted to try this out on my skin. I smelled it the other day - nothing REALLY jumped out about it, other than the fact that you don't get many purely sweet musk scents a lot.

I've said it before. It smells like a sweaty Mexican. Not a big fan of it, but my girlfriend loves it
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Not a big fan of it, but my girlfriend loves it
    As long as she loves it, that's the most important

I just recently bought it and love it, it took me two full wearings to really appreciate it.

First time I wore it, I did not get it at all. Second time for some reason it blossomed for me, not sure why and then I fell in love.

Ever since then anytime I wear I been getting the most attention ever, no matter where I go, and is the only fragrance I have worn since I have purchased which is rare for me. I bought the travel pack which comes with 3 - 10 ml, my first 10 ml is already half empty

Like Everso, I was UNDERWHELMED when I smelled MR finally. Its cinnamon buns, plain and simple. Not that cinnamon buns are a bad thing. No evolution, no complexity, just sweet vanilla. Seems to me that SDV has more spirit if you ask me.

If you love it, great!

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 6th December 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Typo
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

MR is Malle's best seller (maybe because its so conventional?), although my enthusiasm for it has diminished greatly.

Decent fragrance, but as mentioned above, it lacks complexity and comes off as a gooey slab of cinnamon buns. There's some resemblance to the garish Le Male due to the lavender-cinnamon-vanilla-tonka combination. I actually prefer Le Male to MR...it has dropped fast in my list of favorite Malle frags.
    -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Like Everso, I was UNDERWHELMED when I smelled MR finally. Its cinnamon buns, plain and simple. Not that cinnamon buns are a bad thing. No evolution, no complexity, just sweet vanilla. Seems to me that SDV has more spirit if you has me.

If you love it, great!

TNMA

LOL! that's exactly it! Cinnamon Buns! i've been trying to think what it was, and now it totally came clear. I also felt that it resembled Le Male a bit, like ZZTopp stated.....

File me under "underwhelmed", too. I liked MR, sure: nicely done, not overly syrupy but sweet in a way that's perfectly tolerable. Edible. Maybe it's masterful in its mild-manneredness, but that's NOT what I expected of just this frag. I wanted roaring lion and I got mewing kitten.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    MR is Malle's best seller (maybe because its so conventional?), although my enthusiasm for it has diminished greatly.

Decent fragrance, but as mentioned above, it lacks complexity and comes off as a gooey slab of cinnamon buns. There's some resemblance to the garish Le Male due to the lavender-cinnamon-vanilla-tonka combination. I actually prefer Le Male to MR...it has dropped fast in my list of favorite Malle frags.
    I've lost interest too... but conventional? zztop, can you recommend me any other fragrances with that skanky/fecal musk besides MKK?
    Sales thread here

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I've lost interest too... but conventional? zztop, can you recommend me any other fragrances with that skanky/fecal musk besides MKK?
    Sorry I'm not zztop, but I will recommend Parfumerie Generale's Intrigant Patchouli if you want a whiff of unwashed mammal.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 7th December 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Musc Ravageur EDP, no .. I don't get any skanky/fecal musky aroma from the EDP...the base is a muted salty-woody cedary-vanillic-amber aroma. Musc Ravageur Oil has a bit of "skanky" thing going on because the focus is more on the musk element rather than the lavender-cinnamon-etc. components of the EDP.
    Last edited by zztopp; 7th December 2008 at 06:53 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Sorry I'm not zztop, but I will recommend Parfumerie Generale's Intrigant Patchouli if you want a whiff of unwashed mammal.
    Hmm I'll have to give that a shot... I have to mention that I love Dzing but MKK had me trying to run away from my own wrist . Vibert, which fragrance is closest to Intrigant Patchouli in terms of musk?
    Sales thread here

Lolita Lempicka L is almost the same thing.

Musc Ravageur is a unique fragrance. I'm happy to acknowledge the brilliance of its composition but I can see that it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Off-Scenter

Hmm I'll have to give that a shot... I have to mention that I love Dzing but MKK had me trying to run away from my own wrist . Vibert, which fragrance is closest to Intrigant Patchouli in terms of musk?
    The animalic accord in Intrigant Patchouli is closer to Chanel Cuir de Russie and Dzing! than to Muscs Koublai Khan, though sharper and tangier than either. It is nothing like Musc Ravageur.

When I first purchased it I liked it. 2 or 3rd wearing I started thinking it smelled a bit feminine. Now I love it and think that a woman can wear it but more suitable for a man.

This grew one me.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    I've said it before. It smells like a sweaty Mexican. Not a big fan of it, but my girlfriend loves it

Mexican?

Still love this stuff!!! Perfect for the club scene

Smile Re: Finally we meet! Musc Ravageur

Don't know about fecal or musk but try Bois D'Orage. Seems that the French who invented or at least were famous for devleopment of fragrences during times of non bathing, think rolling in the dirt is the substitute.

ps I love this ten hous after applying!

I don't know what a sweaty Mexican smells like but I don't think it smells like MR. What would a sweaty Mexican smell like?? And don't say tacos, body odor, and cheap cologne because I am friends with some Mexicans and most of them don't smell like that.

How about sweaty human, so we can leave offensive ethnic references out of this? That said, I don't think it smells a bit like sweat.

Just my female two cents here: don't like it. However I tend to dislike musk. What I don't like about this one is the confusion of musk and gourmand -- kind of sickening. My DH loved it on me, so I bought it, now can't wear it, even for him. I do agree with mcjra, it's a perfect club scent -- it really smells like some totally high stranger's neck!

I don't know what a sweaty Mexican smells like but I don't think it smells like MR. What would a sweaty Mexican smell like?? And don't say tacos, body odor, and cheap cologne because I am friends with some Mexicans and most of them don't smell like that.
    How about sweaty human, so we can leave offensive ethnic references out of this? That said, I don't think it smells a bit like sweat.
    I don't think Irish meant this in a offensive way, since the huey is a Mexican himself. BTW why "Irish" why not Mexican