Code of Conduct

Default Acquiring samples in Australia

Myer and DJ don't do em. The local chemist certainly doesn't do 'em. The boutiques to my knowledge usually glare at you to buy a bottle for every second spritz you deprive them of.

So my query is: what are the best online avenues for getting samples? Bona fide 1ml/2ml takeaway phials. Am I best just going to Luckyscent and paying the shipping rate? Or can I get a better deal somewhere else? I'm mainly interested in getting niche samples, because most of the designer stuff is a) pretty easily accessible from the usual suspects above and b) relatively inexpensive anyway.

Thanks as always for your input, fellow Oznoters.
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 8th December 2008 at 07:43 AM.

Default Re: Acquiring samples in Australia

Well www.theperfumedcourt.com is one place where you can buy samples of a lot of frags. The idea is to buy a few samples together so that the shipping doesnt hurt. Being in Australian basenoter does has its disadvantages :-(

You can try emailing Frederic Malle and they might send you a few free samples. Buying them off basenoters here is also another option. If you have an id on ebay you can also get them from there.

Hope this helps.

H&R - Actually, DJs do have samples - you just need to ask nicely, or be on their email list. That said, they are going to be mainstream fragrances, typically new releases.

In this thread you'll see BeefTofu asked the same question, and my response. You're not going to get these for free in that sense (and notwithstanding DJs above).

If you have a 'Chemist Warehouse' you'll find they sell lots of vials; but again, we're not talking niche here.

Heavenly Perfumes (in Perth - and on line) sell a pack of 17 Creed samples if that appeals to you.

I'd take gupts advice a step further, and contact all of the 'niche' houses that appeal to you and see how you go. The worst they'll do is say 'no'.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 9th December 2008 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    You can try emailing Frederic Malle and they might send you a few free samples.
    I filled out the questionnaire last night; hopefully that's the same thing. And does he really answer them in person?

[Edit] Ah, just got the reply, from a 'Clare'. Still, that's service. VE first reccomendation, then French Lover and Ravegeur. I'm also interested in En Passant and Noir Epices.

I'll try the Perfumed Courrt as well.
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 9th December 2008 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hide & Reason View Post
    I filled out the questionnaire last night; hopefully that's the same thing.
    I suspect filling out the questionnaire is not the same thing as asking for samples.

You can order a set of three samples on line - here - and it appears they'll charge postage, but the samples themselves are free.

L'Artisan Parfumeur also let you order 5 samples at no cost, except for $7 US postage fee.

Have a look here.. http://www.artisanparfumeur.us/store/order_sample.php

I have also had luck with Divine Fragrances http://www.divine.fr/gb/naissagb.htm
    This is a niche perfumery in France that are very friendly and have sent me samples just by asking them nicely in an email. You have to try L`Homme sage - one of my all time favourites.

Mark

Try to show interest in a particular line and be nice and friendly to the SA and you may get lucky?

Got along well with the DJ's Guerlain SA, told her I got and liked my L'instant Guerlain Homme, and I got some samples without prompting and even got to sample spritz a few bottles that she doesn't have outside (it's the secret stash they let out only for people in the know or something...)

Hello Aussies,

I just had to share this.

So, I'm on DJs emailing list, and this week was offered a complimentary sample of the new DKNY Men.

I anticipate (perhaps like most of you) a small spray vial, of perhaps 2.5 ml, maybe larger, maybe smaller.

Instead the sample is a little bubble on a foil pack (think panadol tablets) - with a volume of 0.4mls. This is surrounded by a piece of promotional cardboard probably 10cm by 13cm.

I appreciate the sample (really I do - although I don't like the fragrance and won't be buying it) - but 0.4mls in a bubble? I actually took 2 sprays out of the tester bottle instead.

Smile Re: Acquiring samples in Australia

Hi,

Just want to share how lucky I got in Melbourne CBD DJ.
    I wanted to try Chinatown from Bond No.9, but they ran out of the tester.
    Then there's a young goodlooking SA gave me 3 random Bond No.9 Samples and 1 to my BF immediately.

Not sure is that pure luck because they don't have the tester of the perfume I want to try on...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Hello Aussies,

I just had to share this.

So, I'm on DJs emailing list, and this week was offered a complimentary sample of the new DKNY Men.

I anticipate (perhaps like most of you) a small spray vial, of perhaps 2.5 ml, maybe larger, maybe smaller.

Instead the sample is a little bubble on a foil pack (think panadol tablets) - with a volume of 0.4mls. This is surrounded by a piece of promotional cardboard probably 10cm by 13cm.

I appreciate the sample (really I do - although I don't like the fragrance and won't be buying it) - but 0.4mls in a bubble? I actually took 2 sprays out of the tester bottle instead.
    How do you actually join their emailing list ?
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Quote Originally Posted by inc0gnito View Post
    How do you actually join their emailing list ?

http://register.davidjones.com.au/se...egistration.do

Eh I think the local offerings are pretty sparse. Online samplers I and many other basenoters have ordered from:
    * theperfumedcourt
    * Surrender2chance
    * Poshpeasant
    * Luckyscent

I've had many successful orders from all the ones above but it sucks when your orders go astray. I believe only luckyscent offer you the option for trackable international post (albeit pricey). Looks like my recent $150 order from s2c has gone awol curse this beautiful island we call Australia and its lack of niche perfume availability hehe.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)