Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Encens flamboyant

It's a new one from Annick Goutal which I tried today. So far the best frankincense scent I ever tried. Clean, fresh and vibrant. Really worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Encens flamboyant

Tried it this weekend in Dallas at Niemans and got a sample. On the card this was incredible. Can't wait to try it on my skin.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Is it really that new? I've got a sample of it almost 3-4 months ago. It's wonderful, but might be a bit hard to wear in public. People will think there's a fire wherever you go .

Post Thanks / Like

I got a sample of the extrait... it's really awesome (as are the rest of the Orientalisses, especially the Ambre Fetiche)

Post Thanks / Like

No, it really isn't that new. It was on the market in late 2007/early 2008. It was the first full bottle I bought in 2008. It is one of my favorites. There is also a shower gel, and maybe a body cream, but it suddenly disappeared from the market. Ambre Fetiche also has shower gel and body cream.

It is very wintery to me. I can smell some pine with the very dry frankincense.
    Evenstar

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I love Ambre Fetiche and Myrrhe Ardente. But I was underwhelmed by Encens Flamboyant - I think it pales in comparison to the other two.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 1st February 2009 at 09:42 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    It's a new one from Annick Goutal which I tried today. So far the best frankincense scent I ever tried. Clean, fresh and vibrant. Really worth a try.
    I agree. It was one of few full bottle purchases last year (I bought it in April), and one that I donīt regret a bit.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Personally, I love Ambre Fetiche and Myrrhe Ardente. But I was underwhelmed by Encens Flamboyant - I think it pales in comparison to the other two.
    Ambre Fetiche is my favorite of the three. Myrrhe Ardente was much too sweet on me. I am a little concerned that last time I wore Ambre Fetiche I had a terrible headache. I am now scared of wearing it, I am hoping it was just a bad coinsidence
    Evenstar

I bought this a few weeks back directly from the Goutal web site. I also bought the shower gel. It's gorgeous, though the incense note is stronger in the shower gel, while the EdP is more smokey.

Now I have to sample the other two in the series...
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved Encens Flamboyant when I first smelled it from a sample (thanks petruccijc). Tonight, I gave it a full wearing. It's been on my skin for about 3 hours.

I don't love it anymore.

There is some note, that is mixed in with the smoke and frankincense...it smells like a dirty floor mop. Something smoky but wet. Like a church has burned to the ground and then the fireman hoses extinguished the burning wood and incense and the smoking ashes are wet. What is that!? It gives it a strong, sulfurous almost synthetic effect that is millimeters away from giving me a headache. I've never smelled it in any fragrance before.

I really like this in small doses (1/2 a spray on my wrist was tolerable) but as a fragrance it came off like a CB I Hate Perfume novelty accord (Wet Burnt Church oil absolute 5ml?)

I know, I know...I should probably sample it again at a later time. But now I'm scared to.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th May 2009 at 02:46 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I like Encens Flamboyant, I have a bottle.
    However, I do find an underlying, slightly sickening, sweetness that, on some days at least, can go rather awry on me. I know it's the frankincense note which often has a very dense and sweet lemon edge to it that can make me nauseous.
    I have the same problem with Goutal's Eau du Fier.

It's a wonderful fragrance

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    ...However, I do find an underlying, slightly sickening, sweetness that, on some days at least, can go rather awry on me. I know it's the frankincense note which often has a very dense and sweet lemon edge to it that can make me nauseous....
    I think you've named it Ruggles. That sounds like it might be it.

-- Jack Kerouac

I tried all three of Les Orientalists, expected to prefer Ambre Fetiche, but unexpectedly loved Encens Flamboyant. I say unexpectedly because its the first time I've found an "encens" I didn't hate! (Exception - I do like Messe de Minuit) I love the dryness of the frankincense, and don't get "wet, burnt church" at all, but agree that over-application can lead to amplifciation of the sweetness, to the point of it becoming cloying. Simple solution: don't over apply.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    I tried all three of Les Orientalists, expected to prefer Ambre Fetiche, but unexpectedly loved Encens Flamboyant. I say unexpectedly because its the first time I've found an "encens" I didn't hate! (Exception - I do like Messe de Minuit) I love the dryness of the frankincense, and don't get "wet, burnt church" at all, but agree that over-application can lead to amplifciation of the sweetness, to the point of it becoming cloying. Simple solution: don't over apply.
    I actually thought about Messe d Minuit when I tested Encens Flamboyant...funny that you mention it. MdM is so much drier though, which I love. But EF took that smoke/mildewy frankincense and pushed it, a little farther, in a direction I'm not sure I wanted to go in.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 9th May 2009 at 02:11 AM.

-- Jack Kerouac

This scent is so boring it's painful. Like actual and cold frankincense resin in water, yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Le critique de parfum View Post
    This scent is so boring it's painful. Like actual and cold frankincense resin in water, yawn.
    One (wo)mans strong and silent is another mans boring.

Post Thanks / Like

Encens Flamboyant is my favourite smoked fir fragrance ever.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit