Code of Conduct

Default Profumum Olibanum

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on Basenotes, which has proved to be a great source of information on perfumes!

I'm looking for information on Profumum's recent release Olibanum... has anyone tried this one? Is it an incense-heavy fragrance, like CdG Avignon? Is it worth sampling?

Cheers,
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Profumum Olibanum

Hi Marty! welcome to basenotes! and boy, what a way to start a thread, Profumum Olibanum!!

No, Olibanum is nothing like Avignon. instead, Olibanum feels very juicy green with the smell of freshly crushed, tender, juicy stems with hints of woody notes held together firmly by a glowing note of orange blossom and a lovely note of incense(quality as good as XXV, if not better) on a base of woody notes...it's a pretty strong incense based scent yet, not like avignon(which is a frankincense dominated scent with totalyl different approach)...this one's more on the LV Incensi side when it comes to Incense.

it's quite potent and has (like all profumums) a smoky sillage
    Last edited by jenson; 8th December 2008 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks, Jenson! :-)

I'd noticed that there was no existing thread on Profumum Olibanum, and even outside Basenotes I could not find too much information.

That sounds lovely, an incense-based perfume with orange blossom.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh! it is lovely! think of it as a sticky gum resin ...fresh extracts..

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jenson. The smoky qualities of Olibanum are one of the finest i've encountered, like dense whiffs of white smoke billowing off a smoldering log of precious wood.. with tiny bits of incense sprinkled all over it. That smoke.

It's also one of the very rare scents that manages to fuse earthy green qualities that jenson speaks of with this smoky incense without them clashing together, without the frag seeming chaotic. Totally worth the steep price, if you ask me.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wondering about this one as well. Olibanum = myrrh (is it not?). Interestingly, Profumum's Santalum has myrrh and sandalwood - as does Profumum Olibanum - just in a different blending. It would be interesting to know if there is any similarity between Santalum and Olibanum.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    I've been wondering about this one as well. Olibanum = myrrh (is it not?). Interestingly, Profumum's Santalum has myrrh and sandalwood - as does Profumum Olibanum - just in a different blending. It would be interesting to know if there is any similarity between Santalum and Olibanum.
    I don't think they're similar. Santalum is much more about sandalwood, and they myrrh plays a minor role. In Olibanum it's much more up-front-and-center with the incense.

I love Olibanum, but I think there's so many other wildly interesting incense fragrances that are significantly more affordable - which is why I don't own a bottle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Olibanum is another name for frankincense.

Sounds really nice this scent.

I find Profumum Olibanum the only incense fragrance, next to Czech & Speake's Frankincense & Myrrh, that isn't tricked up with Iso E Super®.

One is on slippery ground if one claims that $240.00 a bottle is "worth" it. Personally, I don't think it is, but if I had $240.00 to spare, which I don't, I would spend it first on Profumum Olibanum than on any other incense fragrance. As an Olibanum/Frankincense fragrance, it is unmatchable and unique in its ability to sustain the Frankincense note faithfully without the heavy handed clutter of synthetics and other woody notes.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 8th December 2008 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought this today.

I'd rather not comment in detail until I've given it a full wearing. But while testing and buying frags today (Profumum, Villoresi, PG, MPG, Pafums d'Empire among others) I continually returned to Olibanum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    I find Profumum Olibanum the only incense fragrance, next to Czech & Speake's Frankincense & Myrrh, that isn't tricked up with Iso E Super®.
    Interesting observation, Scentemental. Do you know whether the incense from the Omani mountains in the Amouage fragrances are similarly adulterant free ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Interesting observation, Scentemental. Do you know whether the incense from the Omani mountains in the Amouage fragrances are similarly adulterant free ?

Actually zz, I should make a further distinction and say that Profumum Olibanum is not really an "incense" fragrance as such since the experience of frankincense when it is burned as incense is very different to that of the essential oil or even the resinoid. This distinction is hardly ever made when incense fragrance are lumped together or when incense is spoken off as an note or an accord in a fragrance.

Fragrances that try to achieve the burned incense affect tend to, according to my observations, use Iso E Super® along with a host of other elements to achieve such an effect; whereas those fragrances that are interested in rendering the Frankincense essential oil (Profumum Olibanum) or the Frankincense resinoid (Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme) as an oil and a resinoid don't.

I think what gives Amouage fragrances their distinctiveness is the use of the best frankincense oil and resinoid available. In that sense, they're not like the "incense" genre of fragrances that tend to be very popular at the moment, a genre that was, of course, begun by CdG with their Incense Series.

So, the short answer to your question is yes, I think Amouage fragrances are free of the heavy handed use of Iso E Super® because they're not going for the same incense effect, and they rely instead on the aromatic properties of Frankincense essential oil and
    Frankincense resinoid to achieve different aromatic effects.

Finally, I have always felt that incense fragrances that are after the smoke affect are inherently unsatisfying. Once their initial novelty wears off, they all tend to smell the same, and the "incense" accord becomes burdensome. After all, the success of incense as a perfume (perfume literally means "through smoke") is that it is ambient; it is experienced outside the body not on the body, and the perfume version can never achieve the same sense of exaltation because it is in the actual process of burning that the complex constituents of Frankincense are chemically and aromatically transformed and released into the air to produce the exaltative, meditative, and spiritualizing effects of burned Frankincense that are absolutely without parallel. That's why Frankincense has been used for thousands of year for religious purposes by a wide variety of different cultures and why it continues to be used today, because of this inimitable "through smoke" aromatic effect that it produces when burned. Incense fragrances that try to replicate this "through smoke" effect will always, by definition, prove inherently unsatisfying.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 8th December 2008 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually zz, I should make a further distinction and say that Profumum Olibanum is not really an "incense" fragrance as such since the experience of frankincense when it is burned as incense is very different to that of the essential oil or even the resinoid. This distinction is hardly ever made when incense fragrance are lumped together or when incense is spoken off as an note or an accord in a fragrance.

Fragrances that try to achieve the burned incense affect tend to, according to my observations, use Iso E Super® along with a host of other elements to achieve such an effect; whereas those fragrances that are interested in rendering the Frankincense essential oil (Profumum Olibanum) or the Frankincense resinoid (Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme) as an oil and a resinoid don't.

I think what gives Amouage fragrances their distinctiveness is the use of the best frankincense oil and resinoid available. In that sense, they're not like the "incense" genre of fragrances that tend to be very popular at the moment, a genre that was, of course, begun by CdG with their Incense Series.

So, the short answer to your question is yes, I think Amouage fragrances are free of the heavy handed use of Iso E Super® because they're not going for the same incense effect, and they rely instead on the aromatic properties of on Frankincense essential oil and Frankincense resinoid to achieve different aromatic effects.

Finally, I have always felt that incense fragrances that are after the smoke affect are inherently unsatisfying. Once their initial novelty wears off, they all tend to smell the same, and the "incense" accord becomes burdensome. After all, the success of incense as a perfume (perfume literally means "through smoke") is that it is ambient; it is experienced outside the body not on the body, and the perfume version can never achieve the same sense of exaltation because it is in the actual process of burning that the complex constituents of Frankincense are chemically and aromatically transformed and released into the air to produce the exaltative, meditative, and spiritualizing effects of burned frankincense that is absolutely without parallel. That's why Frankincense has been used for thousands of year for religious purposes by a wide variety of different cultures and why it continues to be used today, because of this inimitable "through smoke" aromatic effect that burned Frankincense produces. Incense fragrances, that try to replicate this "through smoke" effect will always, by definition, prove inherently unsatisfying.

scentemental
    Very well expressed Scentemental, thanks. It is irritating that the term incense is used interchangeably between a synthetic smokey accord and one of the finest, most beautiful natural ingredients which is frankincense resin, or oil derived from it. There is some congruence between the former being referred to as "incense" and the latter as "frankincense" but not enough .
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

excellent review Scentemental !! I totally(100%) agree with your review.

Where Avingnon, Timbuktu and some other scents use to "burnt frankincense fumes" incense note to various degree, scents like Olibanum, Olivier Durbano Rockcrystal on the other hand represents true resin of frankincense/olibanum in it's oil form...with this, it kind of acheives a fleeting quality to it's Incense imho and in the process the scent smells very close to nature...smells of fresh resin. i truly appreciate the use of Frankicense in this form.... Avignon, Tumbuktu and other scents become too cloying/brash/abrasive for me and disturbs the "peace" that a incense frag should deliver.... (timbuktu is still ok, as the blend is not overbearing..yet, not my type).

The same kind (olibanum, rock crystal) of approach - in theory is used in Gucci Ph i believe. I have noticed many comment that they dont smell incense in it.....but i feel the smokiness of it.. coudl be the benzoin
    Last edited by jenson; 8th December 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Very well expressed Scentemental, thanks. It is irritating that the term incense is used interchangeably between a synthetic smokey accord and one of the finest, most beautiful natural ingredients which is frankincense resin, or oil derived from it. There is some congruence between the former being referred to as "incense" and the latter as "frankincense" but not enough .
    Yes indeed. It is a similar problem as with "Iris" referring to the constructed and generally synthetic illusion of the blossoms as well as to the natural fragrance of the orris root.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

I think jenson is right to classify this fragrance alongside Olivier Durbano's Rock Crystal. I find them very similar, but with a few major differences. The opening of Olibanum is much smoother. Rock Crystal has a harsher alcohol smell before it settles down. Olibanum also has a bit of very nice muskiness that RC lacks. Surprisingly, I find RC the longer lasting of the two. So, all in all, I've gotta say I prefer Olibanum, but it's literally double the price of RC. I have yet to get a full bottle of any Profumum because of their extreme prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Strangely, despite loving frankincense, Olibanum does nothing for me. Both it and Passage D'Enfer smell sour and unpleasant to my nose, only mitigated by their brief longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

One is on slippery ground if one claims that $240.00 a bottle is "worth" it. Personally, I don't think it is, but if I had $240.00 to spare, which I don't, I would spend it first on Profumum Olibanum than on any other incense fragrance.
    Which, in essence, means you will do the same thing as I would... even if you don't think it's worth that asking price.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

The price of Profumums in the U.S. went way up when the dollar was in a state of devaluation. Now that the dollar is much stronger, they seem to have 'forgotten' to set the price down again. It should be closer to $205 to reflect the 160 euros price here in Europe.

Hi everyone,

Any more thoughts on Profumum Olibanum? Foggs, perhaps, since you've just bought it?

Cheers,
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Today I tried Olibanum from a decant that just arrived this morning.

Going in about 20 minutes from the moment I put it on, It reminded me of this 'mineral accord' of Terre D'hermes. It is so similar to Terre D'hermes that I can't believe it no one has mentioned it yet in any Olibanum thread (there aren't too many threads anyways)....

I had a PM exchanged with our Olibanum expert 'Jenson' and he said its the devil 'ISO super' that I am smelling......Does anyone else get this similarity?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't smelled Olibanum, but in an earlier post, scentemental said it is one of the only "incense" frags that is not laden with IsoE. Besides, IsoE smells of sweet wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post

I had a PM exchanged with our Olibanum expert 'Jenson' and he said its the devil 'ISO super' that I am smelling......Does anyone else get this similarity?

lol ! well, i said i can relate to what you mean by the mineral note but cant find similarities between the two as scents. my thoughts on this scent is in post 2 on this thread

p.s. blame it on the ISO E man!! thats the IN thing right now (i really cannot be an expert on ISO E, i do not understand that language... it was meant to be taken as a joke anyways

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    lol ! well, i said i can relate to what you mean by the mineral note but cant find similarities between the two as scents. my thoughts on this scent is in post 2 on this thread

p.s. blame it on the ISO E man!! thats the IN thing right now (i really cannot be an expert on ISO E, i do not understand that language... it was meant to be taken as a joke anyways

Oops....my bad mate since I missed it

Well leaving the ISO E out of it for now, what is it that imparts this mineral note to both Olibanum and Terre D'hermes?
    Can anyone who has both the frags compare them & see the similarity?

I'm also interested in owning a quality incense, but Profumum is horribly overpriced. Heeley's Cardinal has interested me for a while; anyone tried it?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I find Olibanum to be a rather pale fragrance. If I had an opportunity to score a goodly amount I could see myself getting carried away with it and enjoying it, but it's not one that exerts a strong "I must have it!" kind of pull...

Cardinal is like Avignon with an extra scoop of vanillin, think eating vanilla ice cream in church at high mass:

Et cum spiritu tuo *LICK*

I think one is better off with the CdG.
    Last edited by APROPOSPERFUME; 2nd February 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hide & Reason View Post
    I'm also interested in owning a quality incense, but Profumum is horribly overpriced. Heeley's Cardinal has interested me for a while; anyone tried it?
    Two rather different incense fragrances. Olibanum is quite heavy on frankincense and lasts forever on me. Cardinal is nice but much lighter and seems more suited for spring/summer. I wouldn't wear Olibanum except during fall/winter. I own both, but I'm not sure if I'd get Cardinal again. Olibanum is an exceptional scent. To me, Cardinal seems like the one that's overpriced.

Cardinal is much better than Oilbanum IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for unearthing this. Scentemental's posts are a delight to read. That's classic post, I've read it several times.

Post Thanks / Like

Olibanum is addictive. There's something special about it, that kind of waxy vibe that's been mentioned.