Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Unexpected Perfumista Bonus: Parfum sold as EDT

I have been seeing so many noob perfumista's complaining that many of the classic perfumes (pre 1990) are too potent / strong / stinky / overwhelming. I must admit, after an extended absence from the world of perfume delights, I too find many classics a rather extreme experience... especially when applied fully as one needs to do with many modern formulations.

I do however still remember how beautiful certain love / hate classic blends are - especially when applied like a parfum. And that's the way I think many classics should be applied by the less hardy, inexperienced and sensitive perfume wearer today. Decanted and dabbed rather than sprayed, applied sparingly at strategic points will give a subtle, delicate cloud of scent rather than an overwhelming fug. What a bonus! That means a cheap 30ml EDT lasts ages!

Of course, not all modern formulations (or classic reformulations) would work this way but I have found quite a few that do. I feel Iike I have found a sublime beauty for a steal!

Current Parfums sold as EDT:

Givenchy Amarige
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew
    Clinique Aromatics Elixir
    Christian Dior Poison
    Most Serge Lutens
    Estee Lauder Azuree
    iPdF Ambre del Nepal
    Rochas Femme
    Moschino Moschino
    Dolce & Gabbana Woman
    Dana Tabu
    Christian Dior Dune
    Lancome Tresor
    Lanvin Arpege
    Givenchy Ysatis

Are there any classic or modern EDT's that you feel may really be parfums in disguise?
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: Unexpected Perfumista Bonus: Parfum sold as EDT

Nice list, moondeva. I might add Guerlain Apres l'Ondee to the list. Some people describe it as light, but I find a dab here and there is enough for me. In my vintage days, I would normally spray some up in the air and walk through the light mist, so didn't think I got too much on. Maybe the way they are applying is a problem, good point.

Blog Entries

Application is definitely key when it comes to perfume!

No offence but the way some women apply their perfumes they should be arrested and charged with air pollution and attempted murder by asphyxiation!!

I say this as a reformed offender myself.

When I was a teen I graduated from the sheer, watery, gone in 30 minute Impulse body sprays to 'proper' perfume. Unfortunately my application technique didn't mature with it... I literally 'dowsed' myself in my scents... with the intent that they would last the entire day at school.

I also began smoking at the age of sixteen and right up until I quit in my early 20s my muted sense of smell encouraged my bad habit of over application... coupled with the fact that this was the 80's / early 90s when mega perfumes like Dior Poison, Giorgio Beverley Hills and Givenchy Ysatis roamed the earth.

At one point I was working my way through one 30ml EDT a month!

Now I know I am not the only culprit. In the UK there is currently a nationwide Christmas ad by BOOTS (UK pharmacy) running. It is based on an office secret santa organising / buying spree. Anyway, one lady is shown wrapping a bottle of Paul Smith For Women (I think) with a wee note saying 'Guess who?' and a lipstick mark. Cute.
    But what horrifies me is how liberally she spritzs on the perfume!

http://www.youtube.com/v/4Dh0-SOwp5E...</param><param

I have also been mentally scarred by the image of a group of 20 something females preparing for a night in the UK... with one of them liberally dowsing herself with Dior Poison EDT!! I mean this girl was spraying it like you would spray a deoderant. I began coughing and choking just watching it. I am still horrified.

So yes... application technique is key to the successful enjoyment for yourself and those around you.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

With the sample vials I have of many choice perfumes, dabbing is my only option. It feels insubstantial more often than not. Bois des Isles, for example. When I finally got the hang of that scent my dabbing felt inadequate - I needed a good spray but couldn't have it.

I've made the switch both ways - from dabber to spray, from spray to dabber, and even from spray to rollon. I used to think rollons were the best way to control the flow and direction of the juice, but in truth it just gives a more concentrated perfume. I've really overdone it sometimes with a rollon. To prove the point to myself , I'm now completely edible in a fug of of Vanille Exquise from a rollon I kept in my desk drawer. I would never decant into a rollon again.

The dab is more sophisticated with the right concentration and quality of juice, but I still decant even the best ones into a small atomiser to carry on the move. I have been brainwashed into a more liberal attitude by reading how much juice some BNers bathe in before they feel comfortable. I blame the men and their colognes - some of those chaps spray 15 times on various body parts and then on the shirt for good luck. It sounds like an awful lot of smell to me, but somehow they get away with it.

And then there is the force of nature called Divatologist................

I will try a dab of Lutens tonight. I'm already with you on the dabbing of Rochas Femme.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Yes'um, I agree. Do you learn to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool? That's only going to scare off a lot of noobs.

I've decanted my Comme des Garcons Lily into a tiny perfume bottle with a glass wand because it's one of those better-by-dabber-than-sprayer fragrances.