Code of Conduct

Question Frangrance for a gothic lady

I'm looking for a perfume but need to narrow down my search.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's a little about myself:

I am an 18 years-old gothic girl or metalhead if you prefer, (been goth for over 7 years so no, it's not a "phase") I have a true passion for dark aesthetism. I am very mature because I've learned to live with 2 severe chronic diseases. I also hold maths and sciences very dearly...yeah i'm a bit of a nerd. I'm a perfectionist; I have a 4,0 GPA. I'm edgy but very serious and focused on my studies.

I am newbie to perfume; the only one i've worn and liked was Night Magic by Avon (but it didn't last and it just lacked a little deepness and darkness) and the one I HATE THE MOST is Gwen's Stephanie's LAMB...it's the WORST perfume I've ever smelled in my whole life. I enjoy very much the darker basenotes (patchouli,incense,musk,amber,vetiver and sandalwood)...I even wish they could be also topnotes. I know that for men there's C&S no88 that is rather dark is there an equivalent for women (any brand)?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've thougt about those, based on some reviews over the net:

-Dior's Poison (Scared to cause asthma attacks)
    -Dior's Midnigt Poison (Worried to be bored and unchallenged)
    -Alexander McQueen's Kingdom (scared that others will smell plain B.O.)
    -Guerlain's Jicky (too masculine?)
    -Bulgari Black (flamming tires odor, i've read?)
    -Agent Provocateur's Agent Provocateur (too Paris Hilton?)

I'm open to any other suggestions others than the ones mentionned above,
    Thank you all for your precious answers.

Default Re: Frangrance for a gothic lady

If you like rose scents like Midnight Poison but want to deviate, you might want to check out Comme des Garcon's take on rose:

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Rose

I love the Comme des Garcons line, and it would be a lot harder to find around here. I love CdG because it's wacky and japanese and definitely not normal.

I recall that the Now Smell This 100 Fragrances entry for Messe de Minuit refers to it as a "little gothic masterpiece". That is, a Wuthering Heights, gothic-novel kind of gothic, but I thought I'd mention it.

Edited to add: The "darkest" perfume that I own, in my own scale of dark, is Serge Noire, but only after it's had half an hour to an hour to dry. Before that, I read it as a sort of damp, sour thing; after that, it's fabulous sheer dry black dust.

Crayfish
    Last edited by Crayfish; 8th December 2008 at 07:11 PM.

I'm now contemplating CdG's Incense serie...especially Avignon. I need to buy on the net, right? I couldn't find any shop that carries CdG in Montreal.

Messe de Minuit, thanks Crayfish! I forgot that one...^_^
    Last edited by Sinderella; 8th December 2008 at 07:18 PM.

My suggestions for a true goth lady include, oddly, two leathery masculine scents at first, which do however smell great on female skin too and have a wonderful dark attitude: Knize 10 by Knize and Antaeus by Chanel.
    Jicky is also a truly grand option, as well as the original Opium for Women by YSL, the entire Incense series by CdG, even Crystal Noir by Versace, Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari, Some Orientals and leathery scents by Serge Lutens-to many to be mentioned here, one must simply try and see which is the most suitable, Angelique Encens by Creed (even if the name sounds angelic, it has a meditative and almost dark side), and as a flawlessly crafted scent available at an extremely low cost, Ispahan by Yves Rocher.

I hope my answer was kind of helpful, altough my list isn't by far complete aaaand enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinderella View Post
    I'm now contemplating CdG's Incense serie...especially Avignon. I need to buy on the net, right? I couldn't find any shop that carries CdG in Montreal.
    First I'd check out the Montreal thread in the City Shopping Guide (if there is one) and check to see who would have CdG. Next, I'd check The Perfume Shoppe out:

http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/Scripts/default.asp

It's in Vancouver, but they ship across Canada. They have both the Red series and the Incense series.

I've been looking for something similar as you are. What seems dark and gothic to me so far:
    NU by YSL (it's my rock concert pefume )
    Parfum Sacre by Caron
    Aoud Rose Petals by Montale
    Avignon by Comme des Garcons
    Messe de Minuit by Etro
    I only tried Kingdon on my wrist once and I don't get any BO. A little bit of cumin for maybe 10 minutes. I was in fact shocked to see all the negative reviews.
    I was wearing Shalimar Light one day and my mom kept telling me I smelled like a witch. I don't think so but it's worth trying.
    I am trying to remember some more.

Here is a thread entitled, "What smells gothic to you,"

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=gothic

I would really sample first because what you think of as incense might be something completly different than you are used to.

Also have you checked out BPAL? That seems rather popular with my goth friends. Another thing that makes them popular is that they are hard to get but not insanely expensive. While it's fun to splurge once every while some of the suggestions you can get here can be on the pricey side ( as in when I was 18 I couldnt afford most of them).

Please sample first even if a suggestion sounds very nice and check out BPAL
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

dark rose and incense scents would be ideal no?

CdG Incense Series would definitely fit the bill,

As for the dark Rose, Try Montale Black Aoud

<i>-Dior's Poison (Scared to cause asthma attacks)
    -Dior's Midnigt Poison (Worried to be bored and unchallenged)</i>

Eh. You don't sound like a synthetic berry girl to me.

<i>-Alexander McQueen's Kingdom (scared that others will smell plain B.O.)</i>

Very good, but not for everyday wear. Intimate evenings.

<i>-Bulgari Black (flamming tires odor, i've read?)</i>

Bulgari frangrances are characteristically understated. Yes, there's an expensive new race-car tire accord. Black, but not dark.

<i>-Guerlain's Jicky (too masculine?)</i>

Naw...go for it! Live a little dangerously ;-)

Let me second BPAL or de-acronymed Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.
    I agree with Lian for someone with your Goth sensibilities this would probably be the best match of sensibility and price available to you.
    They have a samples program called Imp's Ears which will allow you to try a number of different BPAL's and settle on which one you feel expresses you the best.
    Good luck in your search. You've got a lot of good suggestions to plow through.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Smile Re: Frangrance for a gothic lady

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I would really sample first because what you think of as incense might be something completly different than you are used to.

Also have you checked out BPAL? That seems rather popular with my goth friends. Another thing that makes them popular is that they are hard to get but not insanely expensive. While it's fun to splurge once every while some of the suggestions you can get here can be on the pricey side ( as in when I was 18 I couldnt afford most of them).

Please sample first even if a suggestion sounds very nice and check out BPAL
    yes yes yes, BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab) is the site for you! www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com
    I recently purchased about 75 'imps' (samples) from BPAL on eBay just to get to know their line. It's not for me, but might be just the thing for you, a goth lass. And even if it's not for you, the website is a total blast to read. Really fun.

Blog Entries

Black Aoud, just send for samples from Aedes

I thought Avignon as sson as I read the thread title.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

Totally agree with the Avignon recommendations. I will also add, since you mentioned it, that many women comfortably wear No. 88 by Czech & Speake. Try it!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Totally agree with the Avignon recommendations. I will also add, since you mentioned it, that many women comfortably wear No. 88 by Czech & Speake. Try it!
    Yup! And I'll also second the Black Aoud suggestion. Attar and Aoud Roses Petals might also be interesting to you. Let us know what you decide?

I agree with Black Aoud. It's dark, gothic, and very distinct. Perfect.

If you like incense, you might also try Andy Tauer's INCENSE ROSE.

Ava Luxe's Film Noir fits the bill too.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Ah, there is a perfume called simply Gothic I and another one Gothic II, as well as a company called The Goth Rosary. They have lots of perfumes to try. I never had the chance to try any of them. If you do, let me know.
    If you look at my "to test list", you might find other ideas. NU EDP is sttill available and not at all expensive. Please, try this one. I love it.

Donna Karan Black Cashmere.

I gave a sample of this to my gothic friend and she fell head-over-heels in love with it.
    There's a good write up of it over on the 'now smell this' blog too.

Second BPAL
    as well as others like them:
    http://www.villainess.net
    http://www.arcanasoaps.com
    http://www.blooddrop.com
    http://www.goodjudy.com
    http://www.conjureoils.com
    http://www.darkcandles.com
    http://www.cobaltblends.com

I think you'd love the scene too, especially the BPAL forum is a blast

Black Aoud should definitely be on your sampling list
    No.88 might also fit the bill - it's not that masculine if you ask me. (And Ozzy Osbourne loves this stuff!)
    Bulgari Black - I wouldn't worry about the tires thing. It's actually pretty good, but only slightly gothic IMO
    Incense Rose is interesting too, but a little too bright and perky for me to consider dark
    Sales thread here

Montale Black Aoud and BPAL's Snake Oil or Morocco
    Last edited by silverbullet; 9th December 2008 at 09:44 PM.

i would like to recommend two rose based scents and one spice based which would fit your environment perfectly. being a metal head myself i can imagine what you mean.....

I'm thinking Type of Negative kind of stage settings and songs from bloody kisses when i make these recommendations..

L'Artisan Parfumer Voleur Du Roses (it combines a beautiful note of rose against a dark background of patchouli giving it a very earthy, dark feel, very much like a garden of black roses and wet grey soil)

The Different Company Rose Poivree (it smells like real rose petals to which civet (animalic note) is added. the image it creates is that of a rose bud blooming to a flower and then slowly dying out towards the end...eerie and mysterious is a beautiful way)

Costes by Hotel Costes: a myterious scent which is comprised of spicy notes of cinnamon, laurel, bay...the color it exudes is deep red and the smell, a rare and exotic blend)

all the above scents are available at www.luckyscent.com
    Last edited by jenson; 10th December 2008 at 11:46 AM.

I am sure Sinderella will be so happy with all these suggestions, but in the meantime I just love them. Thank you! :P

I sprayed Alien by Thierry Mugler and Black Orchid by Tom Ford on a card and those seemed mysterious to me.

Many good suggestions here, you can also try Encre Noire by Lalique. It's wonderful and very dark. Sinderella, if you haven't tried Messe de Minuit yet, P.M. me with your address and I'll send you a sample.

A few that come to mind:

Montale Black Oud -- dark, medicinal rose
    CDG Avignon -- just like the interior of a cathedral
    L'Artisan Voleur de Rose -- dark rose and patchouli
    Profumum Patchouly -- strong and dark patch
    Bulgari Black -- vanilla and a rubber fetish suit
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Thank you so much! You are all wonderful contributers!

I've ordered the following samples:
    -Montale Black Aoud
    -CdG Avignon
    -L'Artisan Voleur de Rose
    -Etro Messe de Minuit
    -YSL Nu

Woah i've just realized that Black Aoud and Black Oud aren't the same thing...
    I'll try both then...

Woah i've just realized that Black Aoud and Black Oud aren't the same thing...
    I'll try both then...
    they are same

I will second trying Alien, dark and mysterious and kind of overwhelming to the senses. It has an air of futuristic synthetic-ness. I would wear it to an industrial night for sure. Besides that I think that whole Poison line looks very goth and I think Hypnotic Poison is very badass wicked witch looking. Very heavy and sweet and oriental. I'd recommend trying those out.

I think Stella Rose Absolute could work for a daytime goth scent. It's very romantic.
    good luck!

Sorry if this comes too late. Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi. I wore it yesterday for the first time. I went to take photos in an old cemetery. I swear it was very appropriate. :P

I second Black Aoud; however, it may be expensive for someone who's 18. Try Iquitos by Alain Delon if you want a dark rose, or Black Cashmere (yes, I second that choice, too) if you want something more incense-y.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

I've only glanced through the thread but I don't see this suggestion yet: Annick Goutal's Mandragore.

I'd suggest pretty much anything by Serge Lutens. My personal faves are:

Ambre Sultan (amber and wood)
    Chergui (amber, leather, tobacco, honey)
    Gris Clair (lavender, wood, sorrow - never thought I could wear lavender til I got this)
    and
    Sa Majeste la Rose (Rose!!!!! Never thought I'd wear rose til I got this)

Not to bash BPAL, I like several myself, but it is a bit trial and error. I find a lot of their scents sound gothic in the description, but are a bit granny-like in reality. Still, it is fun waiting for your imps and trying them all out!

I picked Serge Lutens, because many of his scents have a freaky 'twist' to them and pack quite a punch with several of your favourite notes.

You might also like Bakir, currently made by Long Lost Perfume. On me the patchouli goes bonkers, but it is more complex that your average straight-up-mega-goth patchouli. I think you'd really like it. This is a good one for Christmas, too.

I can't seem to decide between Black Aoud and Avignon...They're both so different!
    And no, I can't buy both. Any advices on how to decide really which one is for me?

Messe de Minuit
    Shiseido Feminité du bois
    Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle
    Lutens Datura Noire
    YSL Nu
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Molinard Habanita

I can't seem to decide between Black Aoud and Avignon...They're both so different!
    And no, I can't buy both. Any advices on how to decide really which one is for me?
    I only have a bit of Avignon myself and only tried Black Aoud once, but I tried a few others from Montale's Aoud series.
    If I were to choose, I would get Black Aoud. I love Avignon but on me it does not have a lot of lasting power (it does not mean much because most perfumes don't last well on me). Also, I find Black Aoud more intriguing and dark than Avignon. On me/ to me Avignon smells very nice and safe and calming. I like it a lot, though. On the other hand Black Aoud might not be suitable for everyday wear.
    How about you find a goth friend and you buy together both bottles and split them?

Ok you confirmed my first impression that Black Aoud was the one for me. You're right, smelling like church at college might come of as a little weird to my professors. I'll certainly buy a bottle of Avignon later but now I'll stick with Black Aoud.

Thank you very much!