Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Frangrance for a gothic lady

Thank you so much! You are all wonderful contributers!

I've ordered the following samples:
    -Montale Black Aoud
    -CdG Avignon
    -L'Artisan Voleur de Rose
    -Etro Messe de Minuit
    -YSL Nu

Woah i've just realized that Black Aoud and Black Oud aren't the same thing...
    I'll try both then...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinderella View Post
    Woah i've just realized that Black Aoud and Black Oud aren't the same thing...
    I'll try both then...
    they are same

I will second trying Alien, dark and mysterious and kind of overwhelming to the senses. It has an air of futuristic synthetic-ness. I would wear it to an industrial night for sure. Besides that I think that whole Poison line looks very goth and I think Hypnotic Poison is very badass wicked witch looking. Very heavy and sweet and oriental. I'd recommend trying those out.

I think Stella Rose Absolute could work for a daytime goth scent. It's very romantic.
    good luck!

Sorry if this comes too late. Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi. I wore it yesterday for the first time. I went to take photos in an old cemetery. I swear it was very appropriate. :P

I second Black Aoud; however, it may be expensive for someone who's 18. Try Iquitos by Alain Delon if you want a dark rose, or Black Cashmere (yes, I second that choice, too) if you want something more incense-y.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've only glanced through the thread but I don't see this suggestion yet: Annick Goutal's Mandragore.

I'd suggest pretty much anything by Serge Lutens. My personal faves are:

Ambre Sultan (amber and wood)
    Chergui (amber, leather, tobacco, honey)
    Gris Clair (lavender, wood, sorrow - never thought I could wear lavender til I got this)
    and
    Sa Majeste la Rose (Rose!!!!! Never thought I'd wear rose til I got this)

Not to bash BPAL, I like several myself, but it is a bit trial and error. I find a lot of their scents sound gothic in the description, but are a bit granny-like in reality. Still, it is fun waiting for your imps and trying them all out!

I picked Serge Lutens, because many of his scents have a freaky 'twist' to them and pack quite a punch with several of your favourite notes.

You might also like Bakir, currently made by Long Lost Perfume. On me the patchouli goes bonkers, but it is more complex that your average straight-up-mega-goth patchouli. I think you'd really like it. This is a good one for Christmas, too.

I can't seem to decide between Black Aoud and Avignon...They're both so different!
    And no, I can't buy both. Any advices on how to decide really which one is for me?

Messe de Minuit
    Shiseido Feminité du bois
    Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle
    Lutens Datura Noire
    YSL Nu
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Molinard Habanita

Quote Originally Posted by Sinderella View Post
    I can't seem to decide between Black Aoud and Avignon...They're both so different!
    And no, I can't buy both. Any advices on how to decide really which one is for me?
    I only have a bit of Avignon myself and only tried Black Aoud once, but I tried a few others from Montale's Aoud series.
    If I were to choose, I would get Black Aoud. I love Avignon but on me it does not have a lot of lasting power (it does not mean much because most perfumes don't last well on me). Also, I find Black Aoud more intriguing and dark than Avignon. On me/ to me Avignon smells very nice and safe and calming. I like it a lot, though. On the other hand Black Aoud might not be suitable for everyday wear.
    How about you find a goth friend and you buy together both bottles and split them?

Ok you confirmed my first impression that Black Aoud was the one for me. You're right, smelling like church at college might come of as a little weird to my professors. I'll certainly buy a bottle of Avignon later but now I'll stick with Black Aoud.

Thank you very much!