Code of Conduct

Default Artisan pepper note - what makes it and why can't I smell it?

So, there are several L'Artisan Perfumeur fragrances that are described as having pepper in the notes - Navegar, Piment Brulant, Poivre Piquant, Timbuktu. I can't smell the pepper at all in these, or much else - with the exception of Navegar, they all seem to smell very faintly of damp fresh vegetables, mainly celery, and they just stay there.

Navegar starts out as damp fresh vegetables, but eventually the cedar appears and I'm happy...usually, though today I'm a bit nervous because I'm having trouble smelling Navegar, too. However, that may be the big clove'y patch of Pomegranate Noir on the side of my arm, drowning it out.

I suspect that this may mean that there's some component of these Artisan fragrances that I simply can't smell. Any ideas?

(For what it's worth, I can really, really smell Dzing! and Tea for Two and several others, so not all Artisans vanish for me.)

Crayfish

Default Re: Artisan pepper note - what makes it and why can't I smell it?

Yep, I'm responding to myself.

I'm now wondering if it may not be that I can't smell whatever-it-is, but that my skin is eating whatever-it-is. Because the Navegar on my skin is still barely perceptible, but some that I sprayed on my sweater smells just like Navegar did when I smelled it months ago. And I didn't try the others months ago.

So. Slap on excessive quantities of totally unscented lotion and try all the can't-smell-'em Artisans again?

Crayfish

I haven't smelled the L'Artisans you've mentioned with the exception of Navegar and Timbuktu and I can't smell any major pepper in there either. Have you smelled Dzonghka? Now that's a bit too pepper heavy for my liking.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I have smelled Dzongkha, and it does smell fairly strong and complex to me - I can't say whether it smells to me the way it smells to other people, but it's certainly not just damp vegetables.

Crayfish