Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Come up with a perfume that *should* exist

Outline for us a juice you'd love to see. Here's one I just came up with:

Top: Ginger, lime, anise, cumin
    Body: Vetiver, molasses
    Base: Leather, burnt hair

Burnt hair? Burnt hair?! That's one of the most appalling smells in the spectrum! you say. Well, yes. But I think, combined with other stuff, it would instead form the base of an animal, creamy mustiness I'm positive would execute well.

My perfume's name? Tar. This isn't an attempt to recreate the material olfactorily, but to exploit its connotations. Sticky, treacly, fumey, viscous. I suppose you'd classify it as a woody-gourmand. Definitely not for summer/spring.

(Surely there must be a similar existing thread, but it'd be a bitch to find.)
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 9th December 2008 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: Come up with a perfume that *should* exist

War.
    The smell of war. War has been a civilization engine, we can tell history through war.
    Fire, heat, gun powder, raw steel, leather boots, dust, soil, blood, mud, jet fuel, smoke of all sorts, swords crashing ... victory, defeat.

I can see a War series coming out of a house like Comme de Garcons actually.

CdG Kokoda, CdG Seelow, CdG Palestine, CdG Iwojima, etc. with a metal-soil-octane thematic binder. Mad.
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 9th December 2008 at 03:07 PM.

War.
    The smell of war. War has been a civilization engine, we can tell history through war.
    Fire, heat, gun powder, raw steel, leather boots, dust, soil, blood, mud, jet fuel, smoke of all sorts, swords crashing ... victory, defeat.
    Seeing your relatives torn apart by the "enemy", your wife raped, your children killed. Great
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Here are a couple I've wanted:

Frankincense; Clove; Carnation; Pepper; Rose

Cognac; Cananga; Sandalwood; Myrrh; Leather

Seawater, seaweed, sweat, sweet dry hemp rope and clean linen sailcloth.

I've wanted this forever...

war was , is and will be ,pure human nature.
    I just saying that the smell of war is as ancient as our own civilization, capturing it in a fragrance could be interesting.
    Last edited by Basteri; 9th December 2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: as per moderator requested

Quote Originally Posted by alkman View Post
    Seawater, seaweed, sweat, sweet dry hemp rope and clean linen sailcloth.

I've wanted this forever...
    Me too! Erolfa comes pretty close though.
    Sales thread here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    Seeing your relatives torn apart by the "enemy", your wife raped, your children killed. Great
    I was going to say that any perfume that glamourises war will certainly not be worn by me.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hide & Reason View Post
    Burnt hair? Burnt hair?! That's one of the most appalling smells in the spectrum! you say. Well, yes.
    I'd buy it.

Brian I did not said that, you did. No offense intended.
    war was , is and will be ,pure human nature. I have not pronounced myself on my take of war.
    I just saying that the smell of war is as ancient as our own civilization, capturing it in a fragrance could be interesting.
    I don't think it was offending what you said. It just sounded strange to me. I understand what your saying, but I don't get it

I want a proper foody scent for breakfast. Like eggs and cheese.

Eau-mlette du Formage

I'm heartened to see such principled anti-war politics anywhere, but people, come on, this is a perfume forum: we're all romantics. Our hobby is fundamenetally about romanticism. Lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty
    I want a proper foody scent for breakfast. Like eggs and cheese.
    What about breakfast cereal and toast? Bung in a orange note and you've got OJ!
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 9th December 2008 at 04:45 PM.

easy answer...

"The Girl with the Plums"
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Autumn

Some mix of pumpkin or pumpkin pie, spices and fireplace smell in the cold night air.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Because in the last decade are launching a terrible number of supersweets, vanillesques, gourmands, and cheap-candy-store fragances (yes, I hate them), a new twist in the genre: Chocolate, milk, cointreau, vanilla, cinnamon, caramel... 0% alcohol, and made with ALL COMESTIBLE materials. Thick and stinky. Maybe longevity would be a handicap, but man, you can either put on your skin or drink it!!! (High caloric level)

Reading this post I was wondering what would be the first fragance with the first component born out of planet earth (a strange dusty mineral from mars, venus... or whatever). I'm a freak hehe
    We accept reality easily, perhaps because we intuit that nothing is real...

The scent of the the female breast.

Some milky jasmine with a base of benzoin, natural vanilla and the softest musk far beneath would be a good start for this. Not that I'd like to wear it, but it should exist. I can't make it since I have not found anything natural to use for a milky cream note, only a few synthetics that leave much to ask for.

Edit: Sorry, not exactly a male fragrance! But some men would love it, I'm sure.
    Last edited by iez; 9th December 2008 at 05:19 PM.

I'm heartened to see such principled anti-war politics anywhere, but people, come on, this is a perfume forum: we're all romantics.
    Indeed we are romantics. Yet there is nothing romantic about war.
    I understand I'm being a nag, I'll stop nagging about it, so from now on I'll keep it on the fragrance-talk.
    Last edited by brianroy; 9th December 2008 at 05:28 PM.

hi Brian. yes it is strange that I mentioned war but... I still think that war is an unleashed explosion of human primal instincts,
    But,,,, lets keep everything in a fragrance context.
    Peace and love!
    Last edited by Basteri; 9th December 2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: as per moderator request

A version of Comme des Garçons 2 Man with some longevity.

The art of war is is supposed to be a fascinating book. I get what you're saying, it's only impossible for me to imagine a fragrance smelling like war. What would it be like? Lots of smokey notes? "Burned" notes? Something "smelling like blood" like they say is in Secretions Magnifique? Very hard 2 imagine.

Eau De Pepsi Blue. Greatest soda ever. Greatest taste ever. Greatest SMELL ever. When you still sniff a 5 year old can every now and then, you know there's SOMETHING going right with that scent that's still hangin' in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mengels View Post
    Eau De Pepsi Blue. Greatest soda ever. Greatest taste ever. Greatest SMELL ever. When you still sniff a 5 year old can every now and then, you know there's SOMETHING going right with that scent that's still hangin' in there.
    Kola nut and coca leaf really is an amazing accord - whether heavily sweetened or not. Now that you mention it I'm really surprised it doesn't get used more.

How about a cologne.. that smells like you just came back from the beach?! [/seinfeld]

Actually, I wouldn't create a Sea one. Bond no. 9 Coney Island does that perfectly, even though it adds cotton candy.

If I were to create one, it would be Hawaiian Punch. God, I love Hawaiian Punch. It's a shame they don't sell it in Canada anymore.

I think the structure would be similar to Champs-Elysees by Guerlain (with the hibiscus, etc), but it would be EXTREMELY heavy on citrus, apple, cherry, and grape notes.
    Last edited by dynendal; 9th December 2008 at 06:36 PM.

An ultimate comfort scent that creates an aura of warmth, familiarity, and sensuality around the wearer would be nice. It would go something like this...

Top: Vanilla Absolute, Rum Absolute, Dried Fruits, Orchid
    Body: Iris Pallida, Black Tea, Honeyed Hay
    Base: Papier d'Arménie Accord (Frankincense & Benzoin) , Ambergris, Russian Leather, Sandalwood, Balsams

There are some good cola frags, such as Escada Magnetism for men and Escada Collection. Are there any smooth tobacco, leather, and chocolate frags (meaning all three are in it)?

ever since i heard there was a spongebob fragrance, i've dreamt of a fragrance that does indeed smell like pineapples under the sea.
    fresh pineapple, seaweed, rust, "sealife" accord, salty vetiver, whatever it is in beyond paradise that makes it smell of driftwood.

and m7 extreme...

Brian.
    It is hard to imagine, I have been in some "hot" zones, almost war environment and there is something in the air that smell....
    I guess every war along the times had its own smell, to isolate that in a few notes will be impossible, but it will be interesting ( given possible)

How about 'Théâtre de film', for the man who wants to smell of fresh buttered popcorn...

Ok, maybe not such a good idea.

Will you gentlemen who'd like to discuss war take it to personal messages please? That's not the subject of the thread and many members are talking about the subject of the thread.

By an easy stretch I might point out to you that talking war is close enough to talking politics, and talking politics is against the Basenotes rules.

Please, take that off-topic sub theme and your reflections to personal messages please.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Lightbulb Re: Come up with a perfume that *should* exist

Indeed we are romantics. Yet there is nothing romantic about war.
    I understand I'm being a nag, I'll stop nagging about it, so from now on I'll keep it on the fragrance-talk.
    EDIT: Sorry DustB, I just read your post!

War is an act that is full of emotion and pain and consequences, therefore I think of it as highly romantic and a compelling subject for any creative work. Just look at how many great novels and movies have been made. I am not saying war is just, but I do see the capacity of artistic expression in it; and in this political climate, how fitting.

But back to the subject: I'd love to have the smell of plastic/tile staircases (maybe laced with turpentine?), wood doors/furniture and brewing coffee, it reminds me of my father's old office.
    Last edited by runstile; 9th December 2008 at 09:07 PM.

Topnote: Buddha Hand, Lychee
    Heart: Rose, Osmanthus Tea, Bamboo Leaves, with just the slightest touch of Mace
    Basenotes: Nepalese Temple Balls, Real Musk, Bamboo Wood, Golden Amber, Castoreum
    Last edited by surreality; 10th December 2008 at 03:00 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    ever since i heard there was a spongebob fragrance, i've dreamt of a fragrance that does indeed smell like pineapples under the sea.
    fresh pineapple, seaweed, rust, "sealife" accord, salty vetiver, whatever it is in beyond paradise that makes it smell of driftwood.

and m7 extreme...
    You and me are on the same page I think. I want a sea scent that's less clean, fresh and more briny, seaweedy.

I'd call it "Auld Salt" or maybe "Sailor Boy."

I'd like some company to invent a scent that smells like pina colada blunt wraps. I don't smoke but work in a shop, we sell it and they smell wonderful out of the package, still wet.
    Last edited by brianroy; 9th December 2008 at 10:07 PM.

Talking Re: Come up with a perfume that *should* exist

You and me are on the same page I think. I want a sea scent that's less clean, fresh and more briny, seaweedy.

I'd call it "Auld Salt" or maybe "Sailor Boy."
    Sell it in Bristol Blue glass and I'm in!

When I was a kid (in the RADICAL 80's), there were these scented erasers that smell really good. I couldn't for the life of me describe this smell to you, but I remember it was sweet and fruity. Combine that with the smell of the scented pencils that came out of the machine on the wall in the library in my elementary school, and the smell of "Teen Spirit" shampoo. That's what I want! Eau d'Elementary!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

something with REAL panther bits
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

A linear, natural smelling synthetic, bergamot/clementine/petitgrain/sacra-Frankincense(the lemony frankincense from the gulf) scent with Joop sillage and longevity.

I'd like some company to invent a scent that smells like pina colada blunt wraps. I don't smoke but work in a shop, we sell it and they smell wonderful out of the package, still wet.
    LOL Buy Demeter Pina Coloda and BR Black Walnut and mix.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    An ultimate comfort scent that creates an aura of warmth, familiarity, and sensuality around the wearer would be nice. It would go something like this...

Top: Vanilla Absolute, Rum Absolute, Dried Fruits, Orchid
    Body: Iris Pallida, Black Tea, Honeyed Hay
    Base: Papier d'Arménie Accord (Frankincense & Benzoin) , Ambergris, Russian Leather, Sandalwood, Balsams
    I'mg guessing you really like Kors for men.

Kola nut and coca leaf really is an amazing accord - whether heavily sweetened or not. Now that you mention it I'm really surprised it doesn't get used more.
    I'll have to look into cola frags, that sound good, but Pepsi Blue is Blue Raspberry/Cola. Anything of that sort? I didn't figure... It's that really artificial smell too

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I'mg guessing you really like Kors for men.
    Nah, for comfort, I like Bois d'Armenie, Papier d'Armenie, SdV, and Ambre Narguile.

Dial-A-Perfume

200+ cartridges of your choosing.
    Hundreds of nanoswitches, remote control dial-a-fragrance.
    'Sure beats mixing up things with droppers and what-not.

One bottle.
    More shelf-space.

Quote Originally Posted by iez View Post

Some milky jasmine with a base of benzoin, natural vanilla and the softest musk far beneath would be a good start for this. Not that I'd like to wear it, but it should exist. I can't make it since I have not found anything natural to use for a milky cream note, only a few synthetics that leave much to ask for.

Edit: Sorry, not exactly a male fragrance! But some men would love it, I'm sure.
    That's quite interesting. I was going to mention about the scent of a woman on her used clothes, but you've suggested something far more intimate. Me likey

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

The smell of baby skin.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Something that captures the extremely crisp freshness of winter air. It should be ethereal, diffusive; creating a subtle aura around you that enlivens the spirit.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Yes! the scent of a cleavage. I have been loking for a scent like that for a while.They can hold the milky notes though. Sorry, lactose intolerant here.
    Last edited by irish; 10th December 2008 at 09:07 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    The smell of baby skin.
    HAve you smelled white musk by Montale?
    Who am I kidding? I am sure you have the first day I wore it I dreamt that my girlfriend was pregnant It evoked a power response I guess.
    Last edited by irish; 10th December 2008 at 09:08 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

some great ideas there!
    Coming from 'where I do', I'd love to have a fragrance that smells of the Australian bush.
    Top: Sydney Brown Boronia and Lemon-scented Gum
    Mid: Wattle flower, Native Frangipani (Hymenospermum Flavum) and a light 'bush-fire' accord
    Base: Amber and 'Eucalyptus ash'

Unfortunately to my knowledge most local perfumes have only ever tried to remix the usual herbal and floral suspects. So much ignored potential in the way of indigenous ingredients... redgum, jarrah, huon, wattle, frangi, tea tree, brown boronia, macadamia, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Hide & Reason View Post
    Unfortunately to my knowledge most local perfumes have only ever tried to remix the usual herbal and floral suspects. So much ignored potential in the way of indigenous ingredients... redgum, jarrah, huon, wattle, frangi, tea tree, brown boronia, macadamia, et al.
    So true! The potential is enormous. We just need someone like Jean-Claude Ellena or Andy Tauer to spend some time over here! It amazes me why our brown boronia is not used more extensively. It has the most beautiful, elusive scent I know of. Shame it's such a prima donna and promptly dies whenever I try to grow it!

I want (and who knows, may one day commission or create myself) a frag based on my lifelong hobby of electronics design.

notes
    tricholoroethane accord (aka "trike", a sweet, etheric solvent used to clean circuit boards)
    solder rosin smoke (basically burning amber)
    hot metal
    vinyl accord (plastic wire jacketing)
    overheated fiberglass resin accord (toasted circuit board)

Description: a bright and lightly sweet oriental, with sharp (but not heavy) smoky notes and a dark, rich ambery drydown.

...it would have to be tinted beige, and it would come in a tall, cylindrical bottle with colored stripes painted around it, so it looks like a big resistor.

I've yet to come up with a clever name for it.
    Last edited by andylama; 10th December 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    I want (and who knows, may one day commission or create myself) a frag based on my lifelong hobby of electronics design.

notes
    tricholoroethane accord (aka "trike", a sweet, etheric solvent used to clean circuit boards)
    hot metal

Description: a bright and lightly sweet oriental, with sharp (but not heavy) smoky notes and a dark, rich ambery drydown.

...it would have to be tinted beige, and it would come in a tall, cylindrical bottle with colored stripes painted around it, so it looks like a big resistor.

I'm sure if you're persistent enough, Comme Des Garcons would do all of that for you as part of their synthetic line.

Great idea! I hadn't thought of that! Thanks!

notes
    hot metal

Eau de Resistance :-P

Eau De' Scarlett Johannson Bicycle Seat (Fraiche).
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

Why not call it Resistor?

Quote Originally Posted by Mengels View Post
    Eau de Resistance :-P
    I was thinking "Piece de Resistance".

Why not call it Resistor?
    I'd prefer something more cheeky, less utilitarian.

Milliamperes?
    L'Eau d'Ohms?
    Jicky?

OK, that was just silly.

Opening: Citrus (litte to give it a 3 second sparkle), Basil, Wormwood, Artemisia

Heart: Cedarwood, Rose Absolute, Celery, Geramium, Patchouly, Rosewood

Base: Castoreum, Leather, Ambergris (like in Mazzolari Lui), Sandalwood, Labdanum, Styrax, Musk

The scent opens bright and dry, just to give it some sparkle, some vision of outcome. Every topnote is unsweet and it announces the upcoming notes, being pretty civilized in the opening accord. After that, one enters Dante's Inferno and Paradiso at the same time, abandoning all hope but merging with love-in itself. The rose and rosewood darken the fragrance, which was so bright at the top, the patchouly somewhat sweetens it compared to the overall midnotes. When trespassing hell, and entering heaven, everything is turned in pure emotion, a form morality beyond good and evil, beauty, life, animalism, hatred, fear, but beyond all, power, captured in the will to live.

In the end, all it tries, is to live forever...