Code of Conduct

Default Best of Patchouli - Greatest hits Vol.1

Patchouli happens to be one of my favorite notes in scents. it gives perfumes a sort of depth for other notes to play in and as a note in itself, offers textures depending on the warmth of skin, weather and so many other factors

There are scents which exude earthy characteristics, so real, that the sheer warmth of damp soil is felt in scents like Profumum Thundra.....and in some like Bois 1920 Real Patchouly, this note is blended so beautifully, in almost poetic way with the vanillic sweetness and Amber..the result is a delightful perfume which offers amazing depth at each level and a sillage ever so mesmerising, that it never fails the wearer. an experience to be savored.....and then there is Givenchy Gentleman, a classic, which uses this note to acheive a certain ruggedness and bite to what otherwise is an oriental. such a departure for it's time, a masterfully crated scent....which then takes me to Parfumerie Generales Ingrant Patchouli, which uses this note along with sweet notes of vanilla and a intense note of dried tobacco leaves..here in india, chewing Tobacco is fairly common and some shops keep different types of chewing tobacco...the note in IP is fairly reminiscent of this smell....however this when teamed up with patchouli, dirty musk notes and vanilla creates an olfactory orgasm of sorts..a burst of delightful note on a cushion of patchouli...i would love to do 4-5 sprays of this one!!....and then there is Montale Black Oudh, when montale combined this note with Oudh, he sort of created history and laughed his way to the bank...the basenotes of Black Oudh simply cannot be matched, i hope i'm wrong, but i feel, the texture that BA creates towards the basenotes is imho, created by just two notes...Oudh+Patchouli but, the olfactory image tells a different story altogether

my list of must try patchouli based scents:
    L'Artisan Voleur du Roses (rose+patchouli)
    Montale Black Oudh (oudh+patchouli)
    Profumum Thundra (dried leaves+mint+patchouli)
    Bois 1920 Real Patchouly(vanilla+amber+patchouli)
    Givenchy Gentleman(citrus+woods+patchouli)
    Parfumerie Generales Ingrant Patchouli(tobacco+vanilla+musk+patchouli)

Some others in my radar, that i havent tested yet

Anat Fritz
    M. Micallef Patchouli
    Mazzolari Patchouli
    Il Profumo Patchouli Noir
    L'Artisan Patchouli Patch
    Montale Patchouli Leaves

do you love Patchouli based scents the way i do? (or more?), if so, please be kind enough to share the best you have come across...

and the winners are!

scents recommended in this thread are as follows...

Parfumerie Generales Ingrant Patchouli
    L’Artisan Parfumeur Voleur de Roses
    L’Artisan Parfumeur Patchouly Patch
    Comme des Garcons Luxe: Patchouli
    Keiko Mecheri Patchoulissime EDP
    Les Nereides Patchouli Antique
    Rive Gauche Intense Pour Homme
    Caswell Massey Aura of Patch
    Histoire de Parfums - Patchouli Noir
    Histoire de Parfums - 1826
    Lorenzo Villoresi Patchouli
    By Kilian Sraight to heaven
    Serge Lutens Borneo 1834
    Tom Ford Purple Patchouli
    Tom Ford White Patchouli
    Bois 1920 Real Patchouly
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Fresh Cannabis rose
    Guerlain Chypre Fatale
    Ungaro Pour L’Homme I
    Bond No.9 HOT Always
    Le Labo Patchouli 24
    Divine L'Inspiratrice
    Farmacita Anunziata
    Santa Maria Novella Patch
    Montale Black Oudh
    Profumum Patchouli
    Molinard Patchouli
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Chanel Coromandel
    Profumum Thundra
    Mazzolari Lui
    Etro's Patchouly
    Captain Molyneux
    Davidoff Zino
    Anat Fritz EDP
    Josef Statkus
    Youth Dew
    Mugler Ice*men
    Aramis 900 Herbal EDC
    Christiane Celle Calypso Figue
    Givenchy Gentleman (vintage)
    Hermès Parfum des Merveilles
    Lancetti Être Pour Homme
    Tiffany for Men
    Tumulte pour femme
    Last edited by jenson; 11th December 2008 at 02:58 PM.

Default Re: Best of Patchouli - Greatest hits Vol.1

Keiko Mecheri's Patchoulissime is a wonderful patchouli scent. It's not loud, it speaks softly with kind words.

Not a huge patchouli fan, mostly because they can smell either green and quite nice or like body odor and quite vile on me, just depends on the scent. I do think Etro's Patchouly is quite nice for a predominately patchouli scent. I also like Neonatura Cocoon which is cocoa, vanilla and patchouli.

The best - imo - is Chanel Coromandel because it's a patchouli based fragrance without the earthy patchouli notes that can whack you over the head. Close behind (same perfumer) is Borneo 1834.

For strength of Patchouli, you can't beat Montale's Patchouli Leaves - more than two sprays and you'll be in a cloud for a day. The most wearable is L'Artisan's Patchouli Patch, and the sweetest is PG Intigrant Patchouli.

I put the all of following in same category - high quality patchouli - but if you have one you have them all as there isn't much variation between them:

Mazzolari
    Profumum
    Farmacita Anunziata
    Etro
    Bois 1920
    Santa Maria Novella (a little lighter than average)

For patchouli-based fragrances with other accords, I recommend the following:

Juliette Has a Gun Lady Vengence (rose + vanilla + patchouli)
    Tom Ford White Patchouli
    Guerlain Chypre Fatale (patchouli base)

I love patchouli based scents. My favorite right now is HOT Always by Bond. I know it's a blatant rip-off on Givenchy Gentleman, but it is so good.

Over the years I've come to the realization that patchouli and I don't play well, so there are only a few Patchouli scents I have tried and out of them, only a couple of which I can tolerate. The best so far is PG Intrigant Patchouli, it soothes me with its damp-ish earthy notes and mentholated airyness although I expected more, so was somewhat disappointed with this PG offering.

bbBD is so right about Montale Patchouli Leaves, I can appreciate it, but only after about 30 minutes into application when it settles down and the rather Givenchy Gentleman-esque (handling of the) patchouli tames down.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Patchouli Leaves is a must-try. Hard core Patchouzli top, Ambre Sultan drydown. Heavy stuff.
    SL Borneo 1834 is the most amazing Patchouli-choc combo. Haven't tried Coromandel yet.
    ETRO's is a very nice middle-of-the-road patchouli. Well made, good quality, but easy to wear. You may find it too conventional as a true Patchouli head.
    do try the monster that is Villoresi Patchouli, though.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 10th December 2008 at 01:45 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I love patchouli based scents. My favorite right now is HOT Always by Bond. I know it's a blatant rip-off on Givenchy Gentleman, but it is so good.
    I would have recommended both of those had you not mentioned them Ruggles. I am a HEEE-UUUGGGEEE patchouli fan (as perhaps noted by my favorite fragrances in my signature).

Jenson, you've listed some great Patchouli fragrances but you really must put Montale's Patchouli Leaves higher on your list, as in, to try NEXT. I think with you loving Ambre Sultan (I think I remember this?) and Bois 1920 Patchouly, Patchouli Leaves is a likely next candidate. Javagreen, that's interesting that you find this similar in it's handling of the note to Givenchy. I experience them quite differently, the montale settling into a golden amber that I love.

ANDDDD!!!

Please don't forget...... Comme des Garcons Luxe: Patchouli. When I think of it I start to breathe more heavily. Rich, golden, syrupy immortelle/fenugreek/patchouli. Oh that Santa Claus should be so good to me this year.

Both you and Vibert have gotten me craving to try Intrigant Patchouli. Sounds fantastic!
    Last edited by nthny; 9th December 2008 at 09:55 PM.

Sraight to heaven!

Blog Entries

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Les Nereides Patchouli Antique
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Last edited by jenson; 9th December 2008 at 06:10 PM.

One of the only fragrences that I have gotten comments on (good ones) is the inexpensive very long lasting Caswell Massey Aura of Patch.

My favorite Patchouli, so far is Jalaine Patchouli. Absolutely rich and true. If you LOVE patchouli I strongly recommend sampling.

Several that have been mentioned I also love:
    Bois 1920 Real Patchouly which is a gourmandy patchouli if there is such a thing
    Patchouli Leaves
    Patchouli Antique.

Thanks for this thread. I am really getting into patchouli and will read others' recommendations with interest!

Aramis 900 Herbal EDC
    Christiane Celle Calypso Figue
    Givenchy Gentleman (vintage)
    Hermès Parfum des Merveilles
    Keiko Mecheri Patchoulissime EDP
    Lancetti Être Pour Homme
    L’Artisan Parfumeur Voleur de Roses
    Molinard Patchouli
    Captain Molyneux
    Tiffany for Men
    Ungaro Pour L’Homme I

To my nose, Ungaro Pour L'Homme I, Tiffany for Men, and Captain Molyneux, in that order represents to most skillful integrated use of patchouli in men's fragrances.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 9th December 2008 at 05:30 PM.

Rive Gauche Intense Pour Homme

I was given a sample of Tom Ford's 2008 release White Patchouli, and I have grown to like a great deal (perhaps because it features very fine rose notes as well, I love rose!). It resembles Noir Epices to an extent and I saw in your review that you didn't like that one, Jenson.

Still, I think you should try it.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post
    I was given a sample of Tom Ford's 2008 release White Patchouli, and I have grown to like a great deal (perhaps because it features very fine rose notes as well, I love rose!). It resembles Noir Epices to an extent and I saw in your review that you didn't like that one, Jenson.

Still, I think you should try it.
    Noir epices is one scent which i didnt take to liking immediately...but, it's growing on me...especially after half hour of application(still can't approve the plasticky top notes)

roses and patchouli yummm... reminds me of Voluer du Roses at Artisans...but seems(according to your comparison to NE) it's not blended in those lines...
    Last edited by jenson; 9th December 2008 at 06:02 PM.

Blog Entries

I also groove big-time on Montale Patch Leaves. To me, it is nearly gourmand. It also has a head-clearing effect I find pleasing.

Josef Statkus- also wonderful. I don't own this but tried it and think it is one of the better, smoother incense blends. I just wish it was a little more affordable.

Divine L'Inspiratrice Reminds me of Patch Leaves only ramped up with a bit more floral. A nice in-between floral & oriental/spice.

Youth Dew Classic, deep and wine-like, almost balsamic. Super affordable. The bath oil is fun.

P.S Intrigant Patchouli is ON SALE $40 off at LuckyScent. I just saw on their website!
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th December 2008 at 06:15 PM.

Last edited by jenson; 9th December 2008 at 11:58 PM.

Some of these surprise me - I love Tiffany for Men dearly, but I think of it's sandalwood much more than it's patchouli - which is not a distinct note as far as I can tell. Same with Parfum de Merveilles - patchouli may play a supporting role but is not distinct. Otherwise this is a great list of patchouli need-to-tries.

CB I Hate Perfume Patchouli Empire
    Mazzolari Patchouli
    Last edited by Sloan; 9th December 2008 at 07:10 PM.

Jenson, you have VdR listed twice in your visually impressive list, but no Patchouly Patch.

I second Etro Patchouly, and l'Artisan's VdR and Patchouly Patch. All good. I would also nominate Tom Ford Black Orchid - the patchouli is in there somewhere, it's just a bit hard to find, what with all the other stuff going on in that dirty, earthy, rotting, lovely mess.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I think the frag with the strongest patchouli that I have in my rotation is Tumulte pour femme.

Mazzolari Lui has a nice patch note, along with very prominent musk and a bit of leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Jenson, you have VdR listed twice in your visually impressive list, but no Patchouly Patch.

I second Etro Patchouly, and l'Artisan's VdR and Patchouly Patch. All good. I would also nominate Tom Ford Black Orchid - the patchouli is in there somewhere, it's just a bit hard to find, what with all the other stuff going on in that dirty, earthy, rotting, lovely mess.

corrected!!! Thnx!

are you a professor or some...?

so far great suggestions like Coromandel, Givenchy Gentleman, Mazzolari Lui, White Patchouli, Voleur de Roses, Borneo 1834 and patchouli luxe.
    I'd like to add Tom Ford Purple Patchouli and the new Cartier Roadster.

Jenson,

You need to add Anat Fritz EDP to your list, seriously.

scentemental

I really like fragrances that start with a warmer note and then WHAM! patchouli sneaks in and finishes it off with very cool patchouli contrast. My favorites of this type are:

Borneo 1834 - chocolate then patchouli
    Straight to Heaven - coconut rum then patchouli
    Voleur d Roses - roses then pathcouli
    Micallef Patchouli - vetiver woods then pathcouli

forgot one and should add: PG L'Ombre Fauve - amber then patchouli
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 10th December 2008 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    so far great suggestions like Coromandel, Givenchy Gentleman, Mazzolari Lui, White Patchouli, Voleur de Roses, Borneo 1834 and patchouli luxe.
    I'd like to add Tom Ford Purple Patchouli and the new Cartier Roadster.
    ahhh, first one from TF private label...! thnx!

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Jenson,

You need to add Anat Fritz EDP to your list, seriously.

scentemental
    I did add this scent in my OP as a scent i need to try out. was waiting for someone to re-affirm it!

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Mazzolari Lui has a nice patch note, along with very prominent musk and a bit of leather.
    I have this one and profumum thundra coming in by post any day now
    Last edited by jenson; 10th December 2008 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Some of these surprise me - I love Tiffany for Men dearly, but I think of it's sandalwood much more than it's patchouli - which is not a distinct note as far as I can tell. Same with Parfum de Merveilles - patchouli may play a supporting role but is not distinct. Otherwise this is a great list of patchouli need-to-tries.

A few points of clarification: Patchouli is crucial element in classic chypre accords. Tiffany for Men is one of the great men's chypres. Patchouli play a supporting role in Tiffany for Men, but a really important one. If you were trying to teach some one of the importance of patchouli in a classic chypre accord, Tiffany for Men would be a great place to start. I never claimed that Tiffany for Men was a predominantly patchouli based fragrance and certainly it is not. My comment was "To my nose, Ungaro Pour L'Homme I, Tiffany for Men, and Captain Molyneux, in that order represents to most skillful integrated use of patchouli in men's fragrances." Tiffany for Men is certainly the most light handed in it's use of all the one's listed here, but for me at least, it's an important use of patchouli. There are plenty of patchouli heavy fragrances, but often patchouli in supportive role reveals what magical things patchouli can do in fragrances even in small amounts. These were the lines I was thinking of when I mentioned Ungaro Pour L'Homme I, Tiffany for Men, and Captain Molyneux.

I am talking about the Parfum version of Eau des Merveilles, Parfum des Merveilles. Are we talking about the same fragrance because the parfum version certainly features patchouli up front?

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 10th December 2008 at 12:12 AM.

Post Re: Best of Patchouli - Greatest hits Vol.1

1. Patchouli Leaves...Montale.. Dark, and deep Patchouli.
    2. Mazzolari Patchouly..Amber, takes the edge off the sharpness.
    3. Patchouli Antique....Les Néréides..Warm, and inviting.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

scentimental - thanks for the clarification - I didn't mean to argue with you and I totally understand the role of patchouli in the classical chypre (Tiffany is all time favorite), I just wanted to put out there that someone sampling them will not get a distinct patchouli note. I have tried parfum de mervellies, but I don't recall patchouli. I'll have to try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    scentimental - thanks for the clarification - I didn't mean to argue with you and I totally understand the role of patchouli in the classical chypre (Tiffany is all time favorite), I just wanted to put out there that someone sampling them will not get a distinct patchouli note. I have tried parfum de mervellies, but I don't recall patchouli. I'll have to try it again.
    Oh, no problem bbBD, I didn't think you were arguing with me. I just needed to clarify my the reasons for some of my selections given that the thread really was about up-front patchouli fragrances. A funny thing about the Parfum des Merveilles. Sometimes the patchouli is really strong and up front, sometimes it tends to stay in the background. I think this has a lot to do with how clean the skin is. For example, applied after a shower I would suspect the patchouli wouldn't show up much; applied 12 hours after a shower when the oils on the skin have had a chance to develop, it might show up more prominently. I think patchouli is an ingredient whose projection has a lot to do with body chemistry and how clean one's skin is. I think the other perfume ingredient that works this way is oakmoss. I have found sweaty, unwashed skin magnifies chypres and sometimes does really strange things to them. Just some ramblings of a febrile mind. I did talk about patchouli though Jenson.

scentemental

Excellent.

I have a couple more, both by Histoire de Parfums - Patchouli Noir (Rose + Patchouli) and 1826 (amber + patchouli)

Basenotes Institution

A funny thing about the Parfum des Merveilles. Sometimes the patchouli is really strong and up front, sometimes it tends to stay in the background. I think this has a lot to do with how clean the skin is. scentemental
    I'm glad you clarified this scentemental - I was a little puzzled when I read it. I own the Parfum des Merveilles and I really don't get get much patchouli from it at all. Not like I do with other, more patchouli prominent scents that I own (or have smelled more than once) that are listed above. Now, I want to smell it again, after reading this thread. This time I'll wear it when I'm 'dirty'!

jenson: In my opinion, Purple Patchouli and White Patchouli by Tom Ford are really not patchouli prominent fragrances. PP is just...weird. It's the only one of the TF Private Blends that has given me a skin rash. The last time I sampled it is going to be my last! WP is great, and I agree that it's rose/patchouli/hairpsray accord is evident - but if you are looking for a more complex scent in the same vein go for the one you mentioned Voleur de Roses, instead. Or, if you want something cheaper, try Cannabis Rose by Fresh.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Ice*men for a fresh patchouli?
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I'm not sure how we all missed this one: Le Labo Patchouli 24. Turin gave it an excellent review in his book - 4 or 5 stars as I recall.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Ice*men for a fresh patchouli?
    oh yes! how could i froget abotu A*Men! will sample Ice*men over the weekend at a mall! Thnx Irish

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I'm not sure how we all missed this one: Le Labo Patchouli 24. Turin gave it an excellent review in his book - 4 or 5 stars as I recall.
    Oh yes! i have had the good fortune of sampling Rose 31 and Vanille44...both of which were top notch. i can only imagine how Le Labo would do Patchouli... Thnx Snafoo.

Last edited by jenson; 12th December 2008 at 07:38 PM.

for those who are interested to know lil bit more on this wonderful note...this is a overview of a Patchouli Organic (oil) from Madagascar.

Latin Name: Pogostemon cablin
    Country of Origin: Madagascar

Description:
    The scent of the 60's; when increased interest and traveling in India and Eastern cultures introduced Patchouli to the West. However, many people who base their perception of Patchouli on memories of the 60's have never smelled high quality oil. Distinctly herbaceous and musky in aroma, a good Patchouli Oil has a satisfying earthy quality, that is great to"ground"a person. It is a very rich and long-lasting oil. The aroma can be rather crude when the oil is young and grows more refined with age, as it becomes a valued"vintage oil". The scent of Patchouli will linger longer than most other Essential Oils, and should be used sparingly.

Cultivation Method: Certified Organic
    Extraction Method: Steam Distilled
    Extracted From: Aged leaves
    Color: Translucent yellow to deep syrupy brown, depending on the age of the oil.
    Perfumery Note: Base
    Consistency: Liquid to syrupy.

Aromatherapy Properties: Great skin care ingredient and cell rejuvenator. Helps to find peace of mind and is a wonderful aphrodisiac. Also a good masking agent for unpleasant aromas. Due to its remarkable staying power, Patchouli is a great fixative ingredient (a fixative is a substance that binds other compounds, slowing down their evaporation and thereby making their fragrance last longer).Suggested Use:Use a few drops in a diffuser to mask unpleasant odors, or to enhance the aroma climate of your home. Add in low doses to skin and hair care. If your partner likes this 'scent of India', you can surround yourself with it by adding 9 drops to 1oz. of unscented body care product, or adding up to 30 drops to 1oz. of Carrier Oil to be dabbed on sparingly as a perfume.

Blends Well With: Geranium, Rose, Citrus oils, Vetiver and Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Clove, Neroli.

History: Most fabrics and carpets from India carry the scent of Patchouli leaves to repel moths and other critters. In the East it is also commonly used around the house because it is said to prevent disease and to release negative emotions, putting problems in proportion.Specific Safety Information:No known toxicity.
    Last edited by jenson; 10th December 2008 at 11:37 AM.

Patches are often so different from each other -- I really appreciate reading the distinctions between them before I try. Coromandel and Patchouli Leaves are two of my favorite fragrances -- both variations on Patchouli/Amber. Both nearly gourmand. I think that combo may be the trick for me. But I don't like Voleur de Roses (too girly-rosy) or Patchouli Patch (old-fashioned hippy patch to my nose) at all.

Patchouli 24 is another fragrance I wear a lot, but to me, it has nothing to do with Patchouli. I'm sure it's in there but I don't really smell it. Patchouli 24 is a weird gourmand -- first birch-tar barbecue with some leather, then radiant vanilla biscotti. Like come nibble some biscotti inside my furry Afghan coat! It's not exactly in the patch category.

Right now, I am so curious about these patches: Jalaine, Santa Maria Novella, Anat Fritz and the Micalief. Can anyone talk me through a sample order -- what makes each different?
    Last edited by Chestnut; 10th December 2008 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut View Post
    Right now, I am so curious about these patches: Jalaine, Santa Maria Novella, Anat Fritz and the Micalief. Can anyone talk me through a sample order -- what makes each different?
    ditto that! even i wished everyone would respond with a brief review on the scents they are referring us to...this gives enuff picture on what kinda patch to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    My favorite Patchouli, so far is Jalaine Patchouli. Absolutely rich and true. If you LOVE patchouli I strongly recommend sampling.
    You said it!! I also have a love of patchouli, partly ascribed to my age. While I have, appreciate and enjoy Gentleman, Tiffany for Men, Voleur de Roses, Patchouli Leaves, and Patchouli Patch, I was hugely impressed several months ago when I experienced Jalaine's Patchouli Perfume Oil! As lizzie_j implies, it is the purest representation of an "iron fist in a velvet glove" metaphor of any patchouli scent familiar to me. Truly amazing.

wicozani

Can't and shouldn't forget Davidoff's Zino's predominantly ambery patchouli, geranium, rose accord.

I have a small bottle of patchouli oil (15mls) that I have been carefully aging over the years, 17 years to be exact. It's amazingly intense, complex, rich, and super smooth. One drop is sufficient for 24 hours of redolent output.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 10th December 2008 at 09:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Purplebird7 has a bottle of Santa Maria Patch I've tried. It is really dense & rich, I'd call it serious, even. It is the least sweet patchouli I've encountered. It feels a bit woody but almost charred and syrupy in it's density. Maybe Purplebird will comment.

Can't and shouldn't forget Davidoff's Zino's predominantly ambery patchouli, geranium, rose accord.

I have a small bottle of patchouli oil (15mls) that I have been carefully aging over the years, 17 years to be exact. It's amazingly intense, complex, rich, and super smooth. One drop is sufficient for 24 hours of redolent output.

scentemental
    Ahhh..Zino..long time no see.

I'm too thinkin of getting different kind of patchouli oils from around the world....some sites are offering 10ml for anywhere between $20-$50..depending on where they are sourcing the patch from.... a whole new world for me! should be exciting!

Patch Oil aged for over 17 years?...wow....could you please suggest a scent which captures this texture well(just for reference)...?
    Last edited by jenson; 10th December 2008 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Purplebird7 has a bottle of Santa Maria Patch I've tried. It is really dense & rich, I'd call it serious, even. It is the least sweet patchouli I've encountered. It feels a bit woody but almost charred and syrupy in it's density. Maybe Purplebird will comment.
    sounds right up my alley thnxxxxx!

Les Nereides Patchouli Antique also seems to be a good option...i dont' have to pay thru my nose for it!

The Santa Maria Novella starts out herbal, almost wine-y, and then it goes straight to the woody heart of the patchouli without any sweetness except that which exists in the patchouli, itself. As kumquat said when she tried mine, "it reminds me of a pirate's chest." You've got to love patchouli to love SMN. But I do love patchouli. My other favorites are Montale Patchouli Leaves and Black Aoud, Jalaine Patchouli, and L'Artisan Patchouli Patch. I even revel in the patchouli notes in Aromatics Elixir, another personal fave. Aramis has long been on my list of men's patch-based fragrances, and I have recently fallen for Givenchy Gentleman. There are many, many more that I fail to mention. Long ago, I used to wear straight patchouli e.o., but no more. There are too many artful ways to use this substance to its advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut View Post

Jalaine patchouli is probably the best I've ever experienced (which is a lot). It is so rich and smooth you really just want to eat it. A lot of the Jalaine fragrances have an amber/vanillic feel to them, and this is no exception. It's way pricey as you know, but you literally only need a single drop for an all-day application.

Santa Maria Novella (which I just tested again last night and can still smell on me) is like getting multiple patchouli fragrances in one. It starts out as a 'standard' high end patchouli, not unlike Mazzolari. It's not as intense as Mazzaolari and it's smoother than Montale. By the time the fragrance reaches the heart, the patchouli takes on a smokier and more distinct aroma, and then it becomes more and more woody as it reaches the base. It's really quite unique. I myself have been trying to decide on a high-end patchouli to buy. Since I have a large decant of Montale already, I've been deciding between Mazzolari, SMN, Profumum, and Etro. I just need to try the Farmacita ss Anunziata version before I can make up my mind. As of now the SMN is the best of the bunch.