Code of Conduct

Default Allure Sensuelle: like a date with Cindy Crawford?

This is what LT calls it in "Perfumes: The Guide." He also says that it's superbly crafted. Here's my problem with LT's review of AS (I have AS in my rotation): I have certain criteria for judging fragrances, including balance/smoothness, uniqueness, complexity, dynamism, as well as longevity and sillage/projection, of course. I'm not sure what LT is saying that AS is missing, if we assume he is right about it being superbly crafted. I find that it meets all my criteria for an excellent fragrance, and while I wouldn't want to wear it every day, I'd say the same thing about every fragrance I've ever sampled. Anyone have any ideas about what LT was trying to get at in the AS review?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Allure Sensuelle: like a date with Cindy Crawford?

I don't get the simile, so I'm not sure that he's trying to say something critical. Then again, I have no idea what he is trying to say from what you've posted here. Is it allowed to quote his entire review? I find AS to be an excellent fragrance.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 10th December 2008 at 02:53 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Well, the way I read his review, I'd say think of it this way: there's a sitcom on TV that's well done in many ways, but something is bothering you about it. And after thinking it over, you realize the family that is the central focus on this sitcom is presented as nearly perfect, and you've never known a family that even remotely resembles that one. The thing I don't agree with is that a fragrance can be too good. I simply find AS wearable because it meets the criteria I use to assess them, and so it's in my rotation. Is LT saying that it's too easy to create something like AS (probably not, because then what would explain all the poorly crafted fragrances)? Now that would be an interesting claim (I don't have enough knowledge to say). Or is it that the perfumer who created AS was just trying to be a "crowd pleaser?" Whatever the case, I'll be interested in hearing what others think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, but I don't think I can speculate as to what Mr. Turin might have meant without knowing what, in fact, he actually said. No offense meant, Bigsly. I probably shouldn't have stepped into this thread in the first place since I don't own a copy of The Guide.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Well, he says it's like a date with Cindy Crawford because it is "beautifully crafted and devoid of magic". He also states that the date is "a nice idea in principle", which I assume to mean that Chanel Allure is also a nice idea, but just doesn't pull him in, have an "x" factor, or simply doesn't click. He says similar things about most of the Parfum d'Empire line, implying that they are "textbook". There is nothing wrong with any of them, they are all competently made, but they come off a bit dull.

I can see his point, and find it to apply to quite a few fragrances out there. I see it in art and hear it in music quite often also. I suppose it is like defining the difference between the works of Salieri and Mozart.

Well, it's often said that the drydown to a frag is common, generic, boring, etc., but AS is dynamic for hours. There's a great swirl of notes (ones that I like) that just keeps going. I can understand a "niche" frag being criticized for being a simple base notes accord, but AS certainly isn't like that, which is why this LT review is a bit confusing to me. Now the tart/tangy citrus and animalic florals of some Guerlains, for example, I would assume to be an example of something that does have "magic," according to LT, and yet I don't like it. Perhaps this is where "a matter of taste" should be emphasized.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, he does say all the reviews are 100% subjective

I disagree with both of them on quite a few of their reviews. Example, why-oh-why did EL Beyond Paradise get 5 stars?

Well, I do think there is "method" to the LT reviews, but it's not always easy to determine. EL BP seems to have been judged by different standards, perhaps something like "what's the best a frag can be that can become a major seller?" And the answer is EL BP. I'm just guessing here, but that would make some sense. I recall that there was a good reason, actually, at least if you "read between the lines," but I don't remember offhand and I don't have the book with me now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is what Mr. Turin said in his blog (hope it's okay to repost):

Beyond Paradise begins
    with the most breathtaking floral chord ever, a hundred close-miked voices singing
    in unison. That alone would suffice, but what happens next is even more
    remarkable. A great artist at the peak of her powers, Becker has taken the bone
    structure from Cristalle, the tempting flesh from Diorella, the flattering hue of
    J'Adore and the radiance of Tommy Girl, and fused them all into a seraphic being
    we foolishly thought would never come: the Perfect Floral.

I think he just really likes the juice!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous