Code of Conduct
    Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Question crystal noir - anything better?

a very good friend of mine wears Versace's crystal noir as her 'night out' fragrance. i think it's fabulous, so dark, sultry, moneyed and almost slutty, but in a good way!

can anyone recommend something in the same vein, but with even more dark, sensual allure? i want to buy her something new.

currently on my list of things to try....

ysl's opium (shockingly, i don't know what it smells like!)
    alexander mqueen's kingdom (although she might not like the cumin note i've read about)

suggestions?

thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: crystal noir - anything better?

It seems to me that Crystal Noir tries to be opulent. Oddly, to my nose it smelled like root-beer. The notes are supposed to include gardenia, peony, amber & musk. I have never found a gardenia scent in perfume that worked for me. Its synthetic version is always unsatisfactory. However, here are some opulent perfumes worth trying, aside from Opium which is lovely, but hard to wear all the time;

Mona di Orio - Nuit Noir -lusty, boozy orange liquor & animalic leather

Montale: Black Aoud, Red Aoud, Damascus, Aoud Rose Petals, Oriental Flowers

Guerlain; Jicky, Samsara, Mitsouko

Chanel; Cuir de Russie, Bois des Iles

Patou; 1000 - beautiful rich floral

That's all that come to mind except, since you are in Brittain,

Ormonde Jayne; Woman is a must-try green woods with hawthorn.
    Last edited by kumquat; 10th December 2008 at 04:58 AM.

I love Crystal Noir for many of the same reasons you mention itsthepens and it always gets great compliments. I don't get root beer from Crystal Noir but everyone's perception is different. Try Chanel Allure Sensuelle and see how it compares for a sultry scent. I used to wear this regularly but a friend asked me what it was one day and now she wears it a lot. I don't mind because I love lots of other frags! She also loves Crystal Noir too. Another gorgeous perfume is Miller Harris Fleur Oriental, definitely sultry and not one that everyone else is wearing. Good luck and please post your opinions once you've done some more searching!

Ok,so Fracas is maybe THE tuberose-fragrance ....and Crystal Noir is a Gardenia scent.I however feel that they share the same ooompf feeling.Both sweet Diva-scent.So I guess that would be my recommendation.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 10th December 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Paco Rabanne Black XS reminds me of Crystal Noir. Not so much in notes as in "weight". It's also a jammy, deep scent.
    A friend of mine wears CN, too, so maybe her preferences would be of help? I know she wears Pure Poison, JPG Fragile and something I forget at the moment but will remember soon.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Donna Karan - Black Cashmere is worth a try. Maybe more spicy, but dark and sultry
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

thanks for the suggestions so far, i'm going shopping tomorrow so i'll try as many of those as i can locate.

any other ideas?

Blog Entries

It just came to me... one that's easy to find and easy to like; Agent Provacateur. You might run across it. It's quite agreeable.