Code of Conduct

Thread: Comfort scent

Default Comfort scent

I just read this thread http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=219901 in the men's frag section and though it may also be interesting to ask this here.

Which frag (or frags) is your comfort scent? What bottle do you reach for when you're: depressed, sick, crampy/PMS, tired, etc.?

I like to wear Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari, when I'm not feeling well.
    Last edited by Ruqayya33; 10th December 2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

Default Re: Comfort scent

Hello, Ruqayya33! My answer might be different in the heat of the summer, but I'm drawn to my two Parfumerie Generale fragrances on these stressful December days. I find myself going to L'OISEAU DE NUIT and AOMASSAI frequently. Sigh...
    Last edited by Haunani; 10th December 2008 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Hello, Ruqayya33! My answer might be different in the heat of the summer, but right now I'm drawn to my two Parfumerie Generale fragrances on these stressful December days. I find myself going to L'OISEAU DE NUIT and AOMASSAI frequently. Sigh...
    Great choices

As for me.. it's Lalique's Encre Noire.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Creed, Bois du Portugal makes me feel really good for some reason; I just adore it.

Additionally, MPG, Ambre Precieux is a deep soothing amber scent that brings me to relaxation.

Ambre de Cabochard hands down. I go to sleep with this most every night.

I like Helmut Lang EDP ~ I think the lavender and musk relax me. I also like Toni Garde EDP for it's creamy sweet almond quality, which to me feels very snuggly. Speaking of creamy, sweet almond: Has anyone tried Snuggle brand Fabric softener in Sweet Almond? Oh my gosh, the scent is soooo good!

Ligne St. Barth Vanille during any sad or chilly winter day. Actually, comes in handy on happy days too. My comfort scent royale for Fall, WInter and early Spring. It wraps me in slightly burnt sugar cream. Not enough to make me go out and eat 50 snickerdoodle cookies!... but just enough to remind me of burnt marshmallows over a beach fire and that smoky sweet scent that was left hanging on my fingers as a child.

Summertime it's all about 3 opposites. Laura Mercier Almond Coconut if I need a general fragrance hug when it's warm. L'air du Desert Marocain if I need a hug AND a reality check during high humidity... and Body Shop Pink Poivre for all the rest of the times.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Basenotes Institution

I'm suffering from insomnia. This is an appropriate thread for me ! Love's True Bluish Light is my 'go to scent' in times of comfort. It's magical ,like a medicine for me and I will never be without it. I'm wearing it now.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Soothing, unchallenging, easy to wear:

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine
    Hermes Hiris
    Etro Ambra
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Clarins Eau Tranquille
    Hermes Caleche EdT

I wrote this on the other thread:

Relaxing/Comforting: Jour de Fête
    Invigorating: Moroccan Mint Tea
    Emboldening: L'Air du Désert

But then I figured that in a sense, all my 'fumes are comfort scents. There isn't one that would make me feel bad - and although different fragrances have a different effect on a bad mood, they all have their place and time. Some lift bad moods, others encourage action, yet others allow escapism.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Encens et Lavande
    Miel de Bois
    Heliotrope Blanc

POTL
    Lea St Barth
    Jour de Fete (enabled by Veuve Amiot)
    Burberry Touch for Women
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Skin musk, yes the cheap stuff from the drugstore. Takes me right back to much younger,happier days!

Slathering myself with Victoria's Secret Vanilla Lace body cream. It has to be the cream though, I don't think the lotion or any other of the products smells as good as the cream. This scent always,always makes me feel so comfy and cozy. It might also be because the scent attracts every man,boy and animal within sniffing distance of me to come and curl up next to me, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Jour de Fete (enabled by Veuve Amiot)
    You're quite welcome, dear.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Gah! Sorry for the double post. My computer just hiccuped!!
    Last edited by Lyric; 10th December 2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: double post

I think I'm with Veuve Amiot a bit here - if I start to think of comfort scents, it comes down to "did I choose the right scent today?" and if I did, I will find it immeasurably beautiful and comforting and wonderful and I wonder why I even bother owning any of the others. That does tend to happen slightly more often with the ones I've rated 5 stars in my wardrobe, but even the "okay" ones can be just the right medicine if matched with the right mood.

when I am sad, I go to sleep in Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens. Rose tends to soothe me. this one in particular.

other snoogly scents are
    Ava Luxe Vamp
    Love's True Bluish Light
    Musc Ravageur
    Jalaine Patchouli

I also find the smooth enduring sandalwood in Jasmin Impeatrice Eugenie to be very calming.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

If I'm feeling a bit under the weather, kind-of blue, or just want something "soothing, unchallenging, and easy to wear" as tdem 1961 coined it, I wear something very clean, uncomplicated and cheerful, such as Guerlain Champs-Elysees.

Love's True Bluish Light, anytime
    Ambre Russe
    Oriental Musk, AL

Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe
    Guerlain Shalimar

Vanilla and amber scents I find to be comforting in general. I am also finding out that Patchouli is also very soothing for me. Not sure why that is...

Lalique Perles de Lalique
    EL PC Amber Ylang Ylang
    MDCI Promesse de L'Aube

All snuggly scents with either vanilla and/or powder.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Bulgari Black.
    I find it deeply soothing.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Bulgari Black.
    Ohhhhhhh .... agreed

My SOTD is Goutal's Le Chevrefeuille, which I am finding delightfully comforting on this cold, bright day. I'm surprised to find a soliflore that can do this. Perhaps it's the tea-and-lemon combo. Sort of smells like one of those sachets of cold relief powder, that you mix with hot water and drink.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Bulgari Black.
    Actually, now you mention it, I find Dzing! very soothing, which is quite similar.

And PG L'Ombre Fauve, another slightly weird one.

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Ohhhhhhh .... agreed

My SOTD is Goutal's Le Chevrefeuille, which I am finding delightfully comforting on this cold, bright day. I'm surprised to find a soliflore that can do this. Perhaps it's the tea-and-lemon combo. Sort of smells like one of those sachets of cold relief powder, that you mix with hot water and drink.
    I love this one too (have a FB, no less) and would liken it to a Tesco's Finest Lemon Meringue Pie. Or maybe I should go up a notch and make it M & S....

Body Time Egyptian Musk. It's soft, a little sweet, and familiar-like the skin on the back on my husband's freshly washed neck.
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis

Smile Re: Comfort scent

Quote Originally Posted by Beebee View Post
    Ligne St. Barth Vanille during any sad or chilly winter day. Actually, comes in handy on happy days too. My comfort scent royale for Fall, WInter and early Spring. It wraps me in slightly burnt sugar cream. Not enough to make me go out and eat 50 snickerdoodle cookies!... but just enough to remind me of burnt marshmallows over a beach fire and that smoky sweet scent that was left hanging on my fingers as a child.

Summertime it's all about 3 opposites. Laura Mercier Almond Coconut if I need a general fragrance hug when it's warm. L'air du Desert Marocain if I need a hug AND a reality check during high humidity... and Body Shop Pink Poivre for all the rest of the times.
    I love Ligne St. Barth Vanille....what a great vanilla scent. I'm just so overloaded on vanilla based scents that I haven't bought a full bottle (plus i'm trying to be 'good') but some day! And I agree...it's very comforting. Simple, rather maternal, just divine.

When I'm fatigued Fresh Lemon Sugar helps me rally.
    When I'm blue Lann Ael is nice. And Tihota.
    When I'm sick...usually nothing.

Lostmarch Lann-Ael

Kenzo Amour Le Parfum. The bronze bottle, not the original Amour.
    A soft, ambery-vanillic comfort scent.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Tilleul d'Orsay :-)
    relax and sweeteness
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

A*Men Pure Malt

Bedtime comfort scents:

Rochas Tocade
    JM White Jasmine & Mint
    AK Egyptian Musk
    IP Musc Bleu

All around comfort:

Guerlain Apres l'Ondee
    Balmain Ivoire
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Serge Lutens MKK for me.

Jicky (in extrait), is that crazy? I think it's the lavender & vanilla combo that does it.

Hermes Ambre Narguile for the 'snugly cashmere jumper' sort of comfort.

When I know it's going to be a rough day I'm all over Spirituesse Double Vanille.

Apparently when I need a comfort scent I turn into a 5 year old. I want Demeter Graham Cracker (which I'm wearing today, btw) and CSP's Lait Sucre. Also, agree with the Lann Ael recommendation.

My go-to scents:

No 5 Velvet body creme (diluted WAY down with unscented lotion) has been like a big fat constant hug for me lately. It actually feels soothing in a physical way.Safe and cozy. I think it even works that way for the new boy..he's just lays his head close and breathes it in deeply.

Molecule 01- Mentally and emotionally calming. Like meditation in a bottle.

Aromatics Elixir - Smells like inner strength and wisdom.
    Last edited by leffleur; 1st October 2009 at 05:51 AM.

I love Burberry brit for comfort. Something about that nutty vanilla quality soothe smy neurotic nerves. Its adore this scent, even if its a womens fragrance.

Hillaire

Seems like I always prefer Knowing and Diva. These are the ones that I love to roll over and get a whiff of on my pillow. Cause they are so potent they perfume the whole sleep-orb, I guess.

I'm thinking Guerlain Heritage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by moongrrl View Post
    Body Time Egyptian Musk. It's soft, a little sweet, and familiar-like the skin on the back on my husband's freshly washed neck.
    That is so sweet. I must try that one, I love Body Time China Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Seems like I always prefer Knowing and Diva. These are the ones that I love to roll over and get a whiff of on my pillow. Cause they are so potent they perfume the whole sleep-orb, I guess.
    These are so gorgeous, especially now that the weather is getting cooler. Ok, getting cold.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

When I'm sick, Le Couvent des Minimes Lavender & Acacia edt (and the usual chicken soup, chamomile tea with lemon and honey, etc...) somehow soothes my sinus headaches. I love it of course anytime, but I find it very aromatherapeutic if I have a cold.

Other cosy scents are: Helmut Lang edc-imo the perfume version of "the boyfriend sweater," Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon & Ode au Reve and even though it's not really a *typical* comfort scent, Bvlgari Pour Femme as it's my mom's signature scent and it helps especially on those crappy days when I feel like I need a hug from mom (she lives across the country).

Jicky is defenitely my comfort scent. I also go to foresty scents, such as Chene and Feminite du bois if I feel stressed or sad.