Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Hunting for an Oriental Rose...

Thanks for all your suggestions! Anyone know where I can get samples of Hammam Bouquet and MPG's Secret Melange?

Also, any thoughts on Serge Lutens' Rose De Nuit? I've been looking at some reviews and it sounds like it might be up my alley.

Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange. Rose pushed to the edge on a base of patchouli and incense.

Have you tried Ormonde Jayne's TA'IF? It's exotic and beautiful. Though it's sold as a woman's fragrance, I don't see why a man couldn't wear it!

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    Frederice Malle's Une Rose - although it may not be 'oriental', is a definite take on quality rose material that I believe men should be able to pull off. "treating rose gentle pays dividends...." - from Luca Turin's review of UR in Perfumes: The Guide. I enjoyed my recent wearing of it the other day.
    Une Rose is a must test. Powerfully prominent rose note with resonance throughout the day. The base faithfully replicates the smell of the soil in a rose garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Also, any thoughts on Serge Lutens' Rose De Nuit? I've been looking at some reviews and it sounds like it might be up my alley.
    Leathery rose chypre with a classic feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange. Rose pushed to the edge on a base of patchouli and incense.
    Outstanding recommendation, Ruggles. Rossy de Palma is one of my favorite rose-centric scents. Cocoa and benzoin blend well with the patchouli and incense. Give it a few more chances, Galamb_Borong, before writing this one off.

Amouage Lyric Woman.Notes of bergamot, spicy cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, rose, angelica, jasmine, ylang-ylang, geranium, orris, oakmoss, musk, wood, patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood, vanilla, tonka bean, frankincense. The base smells phenomenal on me.

Ormonde Jayne Ta'if. Sweet spicy rose.
    Last edited by Sloan; 11th December 2008 at 03:53 AM.

For an Oriental rose fragrance, I'd highly recommend sampling Lorenzo Villoresi Musk. It's a soft, sweet, and powdery rose note. It's not very masculine but one of the best rose scents out there IMO.

Another vote for Hammam Bouquet, may also want to try Penhaligon's new Elixir, supposed to be a new take on HB with a definite oriental/rose vibe. I haven't tried it yet but looking to sample it soon.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions! Anyone know where I can get samples of Hammam Bouquet and MPG's Secret Melange?

Beauty Encounter sells carded samples of most MPG scents, check there.

Please try Rose De Nuit. I smelled it for the 1st time a week ago, and it's a strange and fascinating rose chypre. I didn't mention it before, because of the 'oriental' in the title of this thread, but this is not your everyday rose scent.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Beauty Encounter sells carded samples of most MPG scents, check there.
    Please try Rose De Nuit. I smelled it for the 1st time a week ago, and it's a strange and fascinating rose chypre. I didn't mention it before, because of the 'oriental' in the title of this thread, but this is not your everyday rose scent.
    Thank you! I'll check it out; I'll likely be making my order today.