Code of Conduct

Default Dry resins and vanilla

As I was wearing AL Vamp today, I noticed a similarity to Kenzo Amour le Parfum, the limited one in the golden bronzy bottle. I put them on side to side for direct comparison, and they are remarkably similar after the almond/heliotrope top notes in the Kenzo have faded. The AL stays a bit deeper, while the Kenzo is sweeter all the way through.
    I find I like this type (resins/woods/vanilla/musk) for winter a lot - but both of these start to irritate me after a while. I think they are still slightly too sweet for me, and perhaps a tad soapy too.

Would anyone have a suggestion for a fragrance to try that's similar to these (especially Vamp) in warmth and simplicity, but drier?

EDIT: For comparison purposes, I put on a drop of AL Opoponax Intense and Ambre Sultan, too. I reeeeeek.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 10th December 2008 at 02:50 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dry resins and vanilla

Penny Black for Men has the notes you are seeking. Don't know what
    it smells like though!

Have you tried Bulgari Black already? I don't think it's particulary dry but it's definitely resinous and vanilla. Apart from the leather, petroleum and rubber. I can send you a small sample if you want.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 10th December 2008 at 03:30 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Smile Re: Dry resins and vanilla

You might want to try Shiloh or LV Dilmum. A sample of Shiloh can be purchased from luckyscent. I think I have a sample of Dilmun somewhere around here if you'd like (it just may take a while to locate...my samples are not well organized right now!). PM me if you are interested!

Post Thanks / Like

People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo fits that description (on my skin).

Have you tried Hypnotic Poison? I think it's quite similar to Amour. It's very sweet, though, and Luctor et Emergo is startlingly dry.

Never heard of the Penny Back, but the pyramid made me laugh. Woah, did they ever stuff it with notes!
    Thanks for the recs, Stereotomy & lizzie!

I have tried LeE and HP, both of which on me are nauseatingly sweet. I do agree there's some similarity with Amour LP, but I like Amour much better. Funny that LeE is dry on you, I couldn't imagine it!

Anyone know if Les Nereides Impérial Opoponax comes close?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Smile Re: Dry resins and vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Never heard of the Penny Back, but the pyramid made me laugh. Woah, did they ever stuff it with notes!
    Thanks for the recs, Stereotomy & lizzie!

I have tried LeE and HP, both of which on me are nauseatingly sweet. I do agree there's some similarity with Amour LP, but I like Amour much better. Funny that LeE is dry on you, I couldn't imagine it!

Anyone know if Les Nereides Impérial Opoponax comes close?
    I love Imperial Opoponax and have a bottle of it. I think it might be too sweet for you (I love sweet and though this is not in my top 10 sweet fragrances, it does have a modest amount of sweet). If you'd like to try it, pm me!

PM sent

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Funny that LeE is dry on you, I couldn't imagine it!
    Drat. LdeE can be so picky. I was excited, thinking that it would be perfect. Hmmm. Have you tried L'Air du desert marocain? From what I've seem, most people agree that it's dry and resinous...but your chemistry may insist on "sweetening" scents; making you a "sweetie", as defined by previous threads.

I agree that you may love Bulgari Black. Shiloh is gorgeous, too.

I have tried L'Air, Tovah (I have it marked as my next purchase, in fact) and it does sweeten up on me in the later stages. Actually, the dry-down of LAdDM is again very similar to what I described above and what I'm after - but then a frag plunging straight into that phase. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to suffer through the bone dry opening ouverture of L'Air.

Douglas Adams