Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren - my review

'...Polo and I never really got along. Maybe because it was so easy to hate. Back in the 80’s I smelled this scent on just about every single male, in my junior high school locker room. Its irreverent wood/pine accord is unmistakably strong and diffuses in the air quickly…I always felt that it’s a ‘male’ Poison.

Now older, I realize how many colognoisseurs respect and admire Polo as a classic men’s masculine. I softened to the idea of owning it and even tracked some vintage (aerosol EdT) bottles of it on Ebay once – but I never bought a bottle.

Now Ralph Lauren has released Polo Modern Reserve, their 30th Anniversary Edition, created by the very same perfumer responsible for original Polo, Carlos Benaim...'

You can read my full review on the Perfume Shrine blog here.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th December 2008 at 02:53 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren - my review

Thanks Mike. I really enjoyed that review. Great work. I think you and I were on the same wavelength. I said something similar regarding keeping the good of the old Polo while recreating and improving the bad...........rather than reprint...it is the first post in thread below. I love seeing other people's review work. One of my favorite things on here. Again, great work

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=Modern
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another great review Mike.
    I agree with many of the points you raised. As one who wore the original quite a bit I really like the exchange of waht feels like a vetiver/leather heart in Modern Reserve for what was the vetiver/tobacco heart of Polo. The cardamom at the top of Modern Reserve was also really soft and pleasant to my nose. For me I think that is where the edge of the original has been softened in Modern Reserve.
    Finally I like that they both ultimately land in the same place as the base for Modern Reserve and Polo are the same. The trip to that base is pretty different but it end in the same place.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Mike, nice review.

I remember wearing Polo in high school. It caused my skin to break out, but I wore it anyway because I liked the smell. I used my dad's splash bottle. Then my first girlfriend bought me my own new spray bottle. It smelled so good, but it REALLY gave me a skin rash, so I returned it and swapped it for some CKbe. I still have fond memories of Polo. I'm going to check this out and see if it (hopefully) doesn't irritate my skin (Polo seems to have been the only fragrance ever to do this to my skin). Modern Reserve sounds really nice. I can't wait to try it.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Thanks Mike. I really enjoyed that review. Great work. I think you and I were on the same wavelength. I said something similar regarding keeping the good of the old Polo while recreating and improving the bad...
    You're welcome - I was thinking of you when I wrote it, I remember you loving it so much when you first tested it.

I honestly didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I sent some samples of it to two Basenoters, whose noses I respect, and both of them had good things to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Another great review Mike...

...I like that they both ultimately land in the same place as the base for Modern Reserve and Polo are the same. The trip to that base is pretty different but it end in the same place.
    Thanks - I agree. When you've got a classic and great dry down, why screw with it, right? I'm glad they didn't.

It's been said before on Basenotes, that some guys don't wear the Polo fragrance, but instead just wear the undearm deodorant, because the scent is so strong just wearing the deodorant will give you enough sillage to smell like you applied the scent. I have to agree. However the deodorant does not smell exactly like the scent does. What it does smell like, is the dry down of the original. Which, is still there, in PMR.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Mike, nice review.

I remember wearing Polo in high school. It caused my skin to break out, but I wore it anyway because I liked the smell. I used my dad's splash bottle. Then my first girlfriend bought me my own new spray bottle. It smelled so good, but it REALLY gave me a skin rash, so I returned it and swapped it for some CKbe. I still have fond memories of Polo. I'm going to check this out and see if it (hopefully) doesn't irritate my skin (Polo seems to have been the only fragrance ever to do this to my skin). Modern Reserve sounds really nice. I can't wait to try it.
    Thanks Indie.

I have only had a skin rash from two fragrances in my life. A natural/organic fragrance that I think has real cinnamon oil in it (OMG, I almost 'burnt' my skin) that I bought years ago and Purple Patchouli by Tom Ford.

My new 'allergic reaction' that I've had to deal with is getting nauseous from certain scents. That's why I'm selling my Tom Ford Extreme. I love the scent, but every time I wore it I got an upset stomach - I finally figured out it wasn't my diet, it was my fragrance. It's happened before with Emerald Dream by Estee Lauder also. Blech!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

It's been said before on Basenotes, that some guys don't wear the Polo fragrance, but instead just wear the undearm deodorant, because the scent is so strong just wearing the deodorant will give you enough sillage to smell like you applied the scent. I have to agree. However the deodorant does not smell exactly like the scent does. What it does smell like, is the dry down of the original. Which, is still there, in PMR.
    I've found that just wearing the after shave balm gives off enough sillage to last hours, and it's the only time my office receptionist ever commented on my fragrance (from across the room!).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My new 'allergic reaction' that I've had to deal with is getting nauseous from certain scents. That's why I'm selling my Tom Ford Extreme. I love the scent, but every time I wore it I got an upset stomach - I finally figured out it wasn't my diet, it was my fragrance. It's happened before with Emerald Dream by Estee Lauder also. Blech!
    This has happened with only one fragrance to me - Musc Ravageur (which is too bad, because I like it). I literally bent over with cramps and nothing would make them go away until a showered. Weird.

Great review, MP! As a long-time Polo wearer and advocate, I'm really glad that this version isn't some modern garbage that would sully the reputation of the original. Rather, it really complements it. I don't find them as closely similar, fragrance-wise, as some people, but rather the whole vibe is similar.

Great review, Mikey! Your writing just gets better and better.

Now I want to try this one, although I really think they should have tried to do a little something different with the packaging, considering that it looks EXACTLY like the original.

Thumbs up Re: Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren - my review

I am obsessed with this one and will probably be my last purchase for 2008. I have a card sprayed with it in the back pocket of my jeans. I forgot about it and two days after, I smelled something really nice and I can't figure out where it was coming from. It turned out it was the card that I had in my jeans' back pocket. I find the original a little too harsh, but this one is just perfect. An excellent re-interpretation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    I am obsessed with this one and will probably be my last purchase for 2008. I have a card sprayed with it in the back pocket of my jeans. I forgot about it and two days after, I smelled something really nice and I can't figure out where it was coming from. It turned out it was the card that I had in my jeans' back pocket. I find the original a little too harsh, but this one is just perfect. An excellent re-interpretation.
    Similar experience: I kept smelling PMR on my hand after 3 days and I was thinking, "damn, this stuff is strong." Turns out I got some on my watch band when I sprayed it at the store. The jury is still out for me on this one. I need to get a sample and give it a proper wearing to decide. I was in Sephora the other day and they didnt have it - funny because I thought I had seen it at the same store a week earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Mike!

This has got me extremely interested as the original is
    probably the mainstream fragrance (or any actually) that
    I find myself drawn to mostly nowadays. For office use anyway.

This together with that new version of Aramis are at the
    top of my list of stuff to sample. Haven't seen either one of them
    in Europe so far though...

Post Thanks / Like

Short and sweet,
    Just good juice.
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Mike! I am surprised how much I like this. I never wore the original but everyone else in college did. I smelled it everywhere and just never warmed to it. I stopped trying polo fragrances after testing some and being disappointed. After I heard of this I avoided it even after some good reports here because I thought I wouldn't like it. After several tries I ended up buying a bottle and it is used often.
    It's a great fragrance I hope they keep around. It's warmer. I love the cardamom and the drydown is great. Very good longevity and silage for me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Great review, MP! As a long-time Polo wearer and advocate, I'm really glad that this version isn't some modern garbage that would sully the reputation of the original. Rather, it really complements it. I don't find them as closely similar, fragrance-wise, as some people, but rather the whole vibe is similar.
    Thanks - if you loved the original Polo and you love this new one, that says a lot.

I have yet to do a side-by-side on the old and new. Maybe I will one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    Great review, Mikey! Your writing just gets better and better.

Now I want to try this one, although I really think they should have tried to do a little something different with the packaging, considering that it looks EXACTLY like the original.
    Thanks D. You know the duplicate packaging is confusing. You should see the SA's at the department stores, poor things. Clueless! I'm guessing there's some SA who's gonna sell the MR to someone for the price of the original, simply because it's easy to confuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    Wow - that is strong longevity. On skin, it's not quite as toxic, but the first time I sampled it, it lasted ALL DAY on me. And not in an annoying way, kind of low pitched little whiffs of it, which was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by marcuccio88 View Post
    Similar experience: I kept smelling PMR on my hand after 3 days and I was thinking, "damn, this stuff is strong." Turns out I got some on my watch band when I sprayed it at the store. The jury is still out for me on this one. I need to get a sample and give it a proper wearing to decide. I was in Sephora the other day and they didnt have it - funny because I thought I had seen it at the same store a week earlier.
    Yes, sample this one - I bought some samples on Ebay. Although most department stores should have them also (maybe Sephora too?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for pointing me to your review - I really enjoyed it. As a fan of the original Polo and the new one, it's nice to see I'm in good company liking them both.

I do have a puzzle that maybe your more experienced nose can solve. I get a tiny bit of a note in the new one that almost seems sulfurish, or rubbery/sulfurish. Do you get this too? Or is this the leather, and my nose is just misplacing it a bit? I'm getting this pretty consistently. It's not a bad thing - I kind of like it. But I haven't seen anybody else comment on it, and it has me perplexed.

Anyway, thanks again!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Thanks for pointing me to your review - I really enjoyed it. As a fan of the original Polo and the new one, it's nice to see I'm in good company liking them both.

I do have a puzzle that maybe your more experienced nose can solve. I get a tiny bit of a note in the new one that almost seems sulfurish, or rubbery/sulfurish. Do you get this too? Or is this the leather, and my nose is just misplacing it a bit? I'm getting this pretty consistently. It's not a bad thing - I kind of like it. But I haven't seen anybody else comment on it, and it has me perplexed.

Anyway, thanks again!
    Well, I get nothing sulfurous. But the hint of leather arrives in the drydown, although it's hinted at in the top notes just barely...are you smelling this in the top notes or in the dry down? Or both?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt View Post
    Nice review Mike!

This has got me extremely interested as the original is
    probably the mainstream fragrance (or any actually) that
    I find myself drawn to mostly nowadays. For office use anyway.

This together with that new version of Aramis are at the
    top of my list of stuff to sample. Haven't seen either one of them
    in Europe so far though...
    Thanks MMM - please try it when you can get it. The new Aramis is hard to find in the US also. I stopped trying to find a tester/bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mi-hooked? View Post
    Short and sweet,
    Just good juice.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    Great review Mike! I am surprised how much I like this. I never wore the original but everyone else in college did. I smelled it everywhere and just never warmed to it. I stopped trying polo fragrances after testing some and being disappointed. After I heard of this I avoided it even after some good reports here because I thought I wouldn't like it. After several tries I ended up buying a bottle and it is used often.
    It's a great fragrance I hope they keep around. It's warmer. I love the cardamom and the drydown is great. Very good longevity and silage for me.
    Thanks. Same experience, never owned a bottle ever, and I kinda grew tired of testing out Polo scents and being bored by most of them (the new Explorer was horrible, IMO). PMR is like a fresh new breeze - just what the line needed!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th December 2008 at 05:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Anyway, thanks again!
    Yeah I got that note too, at times a little rubbery, at times a little like hors manure. The latter, I thought, may have just been the power of suggestion, but it's definitely there for me. It is not however too unpleasant to ruin a great frag, just gives it a bit of character.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

Originally a limited edition apparently, I see from Basenotes' News that Modern Reserve is now to be a permanent addition to the collection.

Post Thanks / Like

hey mike....great review!

and i just got a hold of a sample from a great basenoter - bbBD.....and i must say the woods, vetiver combination is enthralling.....but here is the thing....am I the only one that gets incredibly striking similarity to Bleecker Street by Bond # 9 from Modern Reserve? dont get me wrong...I absolutely adore Bleecker street, its just the fact that i thought i never really smelled anything similar to it and now as soon as i sniffed modern reserve al i could think of was Bleecker street + pine tree....

if anyone who smelled both gets that strikingly similar vibe...let me know...

since i was running out of Bleecker Street, i just might purchase much more affordable Polo Modern Reserve instead.....especially since i always thought bleecker street could use a bit more sillage.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I only have a sample of Bleeker Street (and like it) but I get a lot of violet leaves with that that I don't get from PMR (which I really like). It's also quite a bit cheaper if you like both.

Great review, Mike,
    but I stick to my old green bottle in order not to dilute my best-of-best impression I got in my student times.

Imagine, in those times I even manage to write a letter to Ralph Lauren from Russia - just to say THANKYOU for the fragrance!!!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by egrorian View Post
    Originally a limited edition apparently, I see from Basenotes' News that Modern Reserve is now to be a permanent addition to the collection.
    I didn't know that - thanks. I thought just those gold lettered, numbered, carved wooden boxed ones were the Limited Edition and the regular ones were the permanent. Nonetheless, good news.

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    hey mike....great review!

and i just got a hold of a sample from a great basenoter - bbBD.....and i must say the woods, vetiver combination is enthralling.....but here is the thing....am I the only one that gets incredibly striking similarity to Bleecker Street by Bond # 9 from Modern Reserve? dont get me wrong...I absolutely adore Bleecker street, its just the fact that i thought i never really smelled anything similar to it and now as soon as i sniffed modern reserve al i could think of was Bleecker street + pine tree....

if anyone who smelled both gets that strikingly similar vibe...let me know...

since i was running out of Bleecker Street, i just might purchase much more affordable Polo Modern Reserve instead.....especially since i always thought bleecker street could use a bit more sillage.
    Thanks A. I've never smelled Bleeker Street. If I'd compare PMR to any one fragrance, it'd have to be Epicea by Creed or Fou D'Absinthe by L'Artisan. Both are so pine prominent. Even the new Italian Cypress by Tom Ford has a very Polo-vibe to it. PMR is more affordable than all of those - and even lasts longer than most of them too.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Great review, Mike,
    but I stick to my old green bottle in order not to dilute my best-of-best impression I got in my student times.

Imagine, in those times I even manage to write a letter to Ralph Lauren from Russia - just to say THANKYOU for the fragrance!!!
    Thanks moon_fish.

Perhaps if I had been a regular wearer of Polo, I'd feel the same - thankfully, I have no history wearing it, so I'm happy with the PMR. The original one was on my 'To Buy' list but there always seemed to be something else that was more interesting to own. I'm glad I never did buy a bottle, since I really do enjoy the new PMR.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th December 2008 at 04:06 PM.

Ralph Lauren is finally on the mark with their use of pine. The pine note is turning out to be this year's iris and further proof that you can make a clean fragrance without resorting to tired aquatics. Bravo to RL, it's about time you came up with a good new one.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th December 2008 at 04:30 PM.