Code of Conduct

Default We need a better name for the "citrus" family

I was thinking about this yesterday.

In old-school fragrance theory, there’s only a few scent families, built around a few fundamental accords: fougeres, chypres, orientals, etc.

The traditional scent families tell you the architecture of a fragrance, while leaving a lot of latitude for the particular feel of it. That's different from modern classifications, which tell you 'fresh' or 'woody' or 'aquatic' and so on.

Fougeres are built around lavender and coumarin, oakmoss optional. They cover everything from the boyish modesty of Canoe to the jock-strap intensity of Kouros.

Chyrpes are built on bergamot and oakmoss. It’s a versatile platform on which you can build anything from Miss Dior Cherie to Yatagan.

Similarly orientals. Vanilla + Spice. Sweet fizzy Opium PH, dry smoky Idole – take your pick. Heck, Guerlain’s Vetiver is an oriental in technical terms (tonka + coriander and nutmeg)

There’s a hole here. Citrus and herb. Classic fundamental accord you can build a lot of things around. Original Eau de Cologne recipe from the Napoleonic era was citrus and rosemary.

Calling these ‘citrus’ scents is no good. Sure, citrus is the dominant note of a lot of them. But the fundamental citrus/herb accord underlies a whole lot of more complex scents, that you’d never even think of calling ‘citrus’ alone.

Take Rochas Lui. It’s aromatic-woody in character. And yet architecturally, it’s built around the accord of neroli and bison grass.

Or Cuiron pour Homme. Neroli and “fresh notes” are the fundamental accord; architecturally it’s citrus + herb – but you’d no more call it a ‘citrus’ scent than you’d call Kouros a lavender scent.

Even Acqua di Gio. Sure, it’s got all the watery synthetic molecules. But it’s the same “hesperidic notes” (i.e. citrus) and rosemary structure as Giovanni Maria Farina’s original cologne 200+ years ago.

So…we need a better name for this family. Citrus is misleading…I think ‘aromatic’ is too generic.

I suggest either ‘True Cologne’ or ‘Farina’. Put it in the pantheon with chypre and fougere and oriental.

(NOTE: Is all this family-making useful if it doesn’t tell you about a scent’s character – fresh or heavy, aquatic or musky? Yes. I’ll go into why later.)
    Last edited by alkman; 10th December 2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: fragance families, chypre, fougere, oriental, citrus

Blog Entries

Default Re: We need a better name for the "citrus" family

Isn't the citrus family of fragrances also called hesperidic?

On the boards here we have adopted the term "classic" edc of "traditional" edc for things like farina or guerlain imperiale.

Neroli is a floral note, it comes from citrus trees, but in my mind a "citrus" note comes from the fruit. It is in a massive number of fragrances as a heart note.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Yes, that's what I was going to say.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

How 'bout "Zest Organics"?
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Good for me! tnx.