Code of Conduct

Default Yep, I'm a YSL fanboy. (long post)

It's been a journey here on Basenotes for me - I started out with YSL L'Homme (if you don't count Cool Water). I'd smelled fragrances before, but this one was worth the price based on how much my girlfriend loved it and how unusually addicted I was to smelling it. And it strangely fit perfectly into my life.

I thought, here, I've never even heard of YSL outside of sunglasses. How could they be so good at making a cologne? Surely their other products are just as good. Well, I searched and searched, and all I could find was Kouros, and I wasn't even allowed to smell before I could buy. Instead, I picked up Dior Homme, which is still excellent, but not as high as L'Homme on my list. I kept trying to subconsciously find YSL, even though the only thing you could find was Kouros. I eventually just started filling my wardrobe with all these other awesome scents.

Then I found Rive Gauche at a mall stand and I pretty much died and went to heaven. Finally! Another YSL fragrance that isn't Kouros! I smelled it... wonderful! Compliments? The only other fragrance I've gotten compliments on! Winner! However, I learned that I vastly overpaid for it when a few BNers told me about the $20 sale they were having at Walmart. So I bought 4 more Rive Gauches and returned an unopened one to the mall stand last night - and what do you know, there's more YSL there now! Jazz, Live Jazz, Pour Homme, and Kouros. I just had to have Live Jazz because I've read the description and the reviews and knew it would be right up my alley. Minty? Cilantro? Vietnamese food? Yesss!

Yesterday I finally happened on the best place in Vancouver to smell stuff - Shifeon. I finally got to smell Body Kouros and Opium, and Opium was divine and addictive, as good as L'Homme. I bought it right away. Body Kouros was amazing too, but I try not to buy more than one fragrance unless it's online.

So yesterday I stood with:

L'Homme - Citrusy and gingery
    (4) Rive Gauche - Dark and creamy
    Opium Pour Homme - powdery and spicy-hot
    Live Jazz - fresh, citrusy, and green

..and I thought to myself, I like all of these more than anything else in my wardrobe. They smell amazing, but each of them has that extra little perk in it to make it truly addictive and wearable on my skin.

So I found myself REALLY wanting to try M7 and Jazz to complete the YSL picture. I got a 50ml of each and a 50ml of Body Kouros too, and they should be here in a week or two.

So I guess in summary I shouldn't have built my wardrobe up so much without YSL's in consideration. I wish I could have known many hundreds of dollars ago. I think at this point, though, I'm going to return Guerlain Heritage and Dior Homme Sport.

Default Re: Yep, I'm a YSL fanboy. (long post)

great read! Thanx for sharing!

and yes, YSL hardly. Ever. Misses.

Do try out M7...it's the probably the "only" Oudh based scent avaiable commecially at an affordable price.
    Body Kouros is yet again, a fantastic one!

You'll probably be editing that post when M7 gets there; it's wonderful.

Also, try M7 Fresh. It is different enough to own both it and M7. Perfect for different occasions.

YSL is among my favorite designers house, Rive Gauche and Kouros are my two fav. Those two will always be in my wardrobe.
    I never tried M7 fresh though.... now Chris got me curious about it.
    ( I can understand why you bought 4 bottle of Rive Gauche)

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    great read! Thanx for sharing!

and yes, YSL. Never. Misses.

Do try out M7...it's the probably the "only" Oudh based scent avaiable commecially at an affordable price.
    Body Kouros is yet again, a fantastic one!
    You had a typo. There I fixed it

And yes, YSL has some serious colognage, my favorite designer house (even though it does not have the tradition of Guerlain or Chanel).
    Last edited by irish; 10th December 2008 at 08:02 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, you are lucky. You happened to have picked a very good house (line) to follow and collect - that's for sure. If you're going to devote yourself to one house, YSL's a good choice.

I wouldn't get rid of all of the other non-YSL frags though. Put them away and when your excitement has cooled down, you might be ready to wear something else. If not, you can always sell them at that point.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

If you want
    i have M7 and M7 Fresh 50mL
    pm if you would like
    Last edited by Suux88; 10th December 2008 at 10:51 PM.

Post Re: Yep, I'm a YSL fanboy. (long post)

It doesn't have to be niche to be great does it!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I own 5 YSL fragrances:

M7
    M7 Fresh
    Kouros
    Body Kouros
    Rive Gauche

As far as modern fragrance houses go, this is my favorite one!

I love YSL as well I own

M7, Opium PH EDP, Rive Gauche, Body Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    It doesn't have to be niche to be great does it!

These fragrances definately aren't mass market tresh, some come quite close to niche IMO.

Also a fan of YSL here. I still haven't had any interest in Jazz, so I haven't tried Live Jazz. You make it sound good though. I'll have to check it out.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Thanks for the replies guys! I honestly didn't know what kind of replies I would be getting. I will definitely check out M7 fresh in the warmer months.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Also a fan of YSL here. I still haven't had any interest in Jazz, so I haven't tried Live Jazz. You make it sound good though. I'll have to check it out.
    I really love Live Jazz. Behind Rive Gauche, I think it's my favourite blind-buy. I really love the fact that it's citrusy and minty fresh but also really evolves, compared to something like Dior Homme Sport that stays Citrusy on me the entire time. Live Jazz also features something weird that sets it "off" - cilantro. At the beginning of the sniff it smells fine and similar to other things, but the end of the sniff, it really burns into you that Live Jazz is very different. Not quite clean, not quite green, not quite gourmand. Just very different. It suits the fragrance very well!

I also like the fact that the icy mint accord goes well in Winter - an all-year fragrance is a definite plus in my book.
    Last edited by dynendal; 10th December 2008 at 10:39 PM.

YSL is such a great house at very good prices.

I have only one doubt: Kouros. Not my cup of tea.(at the moment).....Al the rest is superb.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for sharing mate! I'm also on the YSL bandwagon with L'Homme, Jazz, & Rive Gauche.

Curious, I completely see how M7, Jazz, Kouros, Opium, Rive Gauche and their offspring are part of the same house. They are dynamic, clever, aggressive yet well blended. However, L'Homme is completely uninteresting and feels nothing like the others to me. Whether I like it or not is not my point, but I wonder, does anyone else see it as an anomaly in the YSL lineup? Couldn't it really just as easily be a Chanel, Perry Ellis,Dunhill, etc...?
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Kouros is King

Honestly though, YSL L'Homme was my second YSL frag, the first being Kouros and I loved it as much as I did Kouros. I'm yet to sample the others from the YSL stable (except Opium).
    Last edited by Amit; 11th December 2008 at 10:43 AM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I've got,

Kouros
    Kouros Cologne Sport
    Kouros Eau d'Ete
    Body Kouros
    YSL Pour Homme
    M7
    Rive Gauche
    Jazz
    Live Jazz
    Opium PH EDT
    Opium Ph EDP
    Opium PH Poesie de Chine Eau D'Orient

which is only 12 of the 25 listed in the Fragrance Directory - hence I'm not a YSL fan boy.

Kouros is a scent that I didn't like all that much at all when I first started wearing it in winter, and I thought I'd bought a turkey. Then one day, on a whim, I wore it in the middle of summer - and I was hooked.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 11th December 2008 at 12:16 PM.

I fell heavily for Kouros in the 80's and still wear it on occasion
    also have
    L'homme
    Opium
    Opium PH

I've tried and really want M7, Rive Gauche and Body Kouros
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Hmm, I finally find Kouros to try. Wow, that's a potent fragrance. I decided that I really DO like it, but couldn't see myself wearing it.

Alright, I just got my new 3 YSL's. And I love them all. Here's my executive summary on them:

M7: Oooooooooh wow! Same level of quality as Rive Gauche! Cherry Halls medicinal opening that dries down into what I think of as a luxurious agarwood. It's much less pronounced than Montale's Auod offerings. It reminds me of camping in my family's tent trailer for some reason - woody-smelling with rain smell mixed in. I guess the scent-memory is tying into why I love it so much.

Body Kouros: WAY better than when I smelled it in the store, and I thought it was amazing then! I can barely describe it with other words than: It smells like a spice market with incense burning in the corner. Wow. It might break my top 5.

Jazz: This one is a little harder to like but I'm still a huge fan of the progression it follows. It really DOES feel Jazzy, moreso than Live Jazz. It reminds me of Coltrane's "Giant Steps." On my skin, it doesn't seem to settle on one note right away. I really love it in that regard.

In summary:

M7: Smoking Cherry Halls cough drops in a gorgeus wooden pipe
    Body Kouros: Spice Market with Incense
    Jazz: Wildly-progressive wood

I asked for Kouros for christmas, and I can't wait to see if I get it. When I tried it at the store, I quite liked it. Will it be my favourite YSL? I doubt it - but who knows?

Glad you are loving your new found YSL's! While I've found that most of them are not for me, I can definitely state that they are all interesting fragrances that are bold and decidedly different. I'm curious to see if you'll still enjoy Body Kouros so much in a month or two - it seems to be a frag that many fall in love with only to quickly grow bored of. Unfortunately, that is my story with it, and I've long since sold it.

I'm slowly warming up to M7 though, and I love Live Jazz once the cilantro has faded. I've got to get around to sampling Rive Gauche and Opium once again.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more