Code of Conduct

Question Why soy candles over parrafin wax candles?

I'm curious as to why so many people who make their own candles, both for themselves and for their business, go with soy.

From what I've read so far, there really is no real benefit, in fact, paraffin seems to hold fragrance better.

So why does everyone go with soy over paraffin?

Default Re: Why soy candles over parrafin wax candles?

I am no expert, but I believe soy has less soot, and burns cleaner overall. Now, whether that means 'healthier' I'm not sure. The nice thing about soy is that you can use it to moisturize, too! (a little melted soy wax on the hands really helps that chapped winter feeling!)

Soy = Is better looking(smoother). People that sell candles can promote its "naturalness".

As a Perfumer I find that soy when using the solvent I use for it in fragrances diffuses better then parrafin.

Paraffin is a fossil wax. Soy is vegetable wax. Soy is a renewable resource, fossil fuel is not. I believe that is the main reason why soy waxes and oils have been developed, even though they also burn a bit cleaner too.

I also think soy wax melts at a lower temperature which means the wax is more body friendly if you happen to get it anywhere
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    The nice thing about soy is that you can use it to moisturize, too! (a little melted soy wax on the hands really helps that chapped winter feeling!)
    I don't know from the perspective of a manufacturer. But from a purchasing aspect, lizzie_j hit the nail on the head as to why I only buy soy candles these days. (If I have a paraffin candle, it was a gift from someone not in the know.)

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Scientist View Post
    From what I've read so far, there really is no real benefit, in fact, paraffin seems to hold fragrance better.
    Where have you been doing your homework??? A paraffin candle maker's website? Keep reading.
    Last edited by beachroses; 13th January 2009 at 03:15 PM.

A lot of it has to do with eco-consciousness, but there are other practical reasons.

I work in a candle store and the difference is basically the the soy candles burn clean - which is very useful with a sweet scent where the "smokey" smell would interfere with a sugary or vanilla scent. With many candles, such as the Yankee Candle brand, black soot builds up on the side of the jar as the candle burns and even gets into the air in the room. Soy candles don't do this. Also the texture is different. Soy wax has a very "matte" look and feel to it where paraffin can be shiny - i.e. it's harder and can be made into a pillar candle where the pure soy wax is too soft for that and needs to be in a jar.

Many excellent candle brands - such as Archipelago and Root - mix paraffin and soy wax to hold the fragrance better and reduce soot at the same time, although I would say that soy holds scents very well overall, especially sweet scents.

I've also noticed that the soy candles are often cheaper than the paraffin candles of the same size. At the store, a 20oz jar soy candle sells for $18.95 and a comparable scented jar candle from Yankee sells for 23 dollars even.

I will only burn soy candles due to the soot issue mentioned above. My mom actually burned so many candles in a given spot that the soot from the regular wax candles actually darkened her ceiling above the candles.