Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: What's your most "old lady" scent? (Or, what are you afraid of?)

Well, three & and a half years later and I still feel the same way: any scent meant to be smelled through cigarette smoke is one that attracts me - scary, "old lady", and wonderful! And I have learned a new tip from our other recent "old lady" thread on Tauer: call it old lady and my interest is peaked. More for me, less for the old lady haters.

I agree, the generational remove does seem to work for fashion as well.

Basenotes Institution

My most 'old lady' scent ( in the best possible sense of the word ! ) - I have a few but most probably Ubar because by today's standards its civety bite is quite retro and probably to some, it may even be offensive.
    I am most afraid of 2 aldehydic florals - Gold Woman by Amouage and No 1 by Clive Christian .
    I am sure I have nothing to be afraid of with Gold so I must face my fear and try again.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

HAHA! This brings back great memories!
    The first thing that popped into my head was violets - my British grandmother wore a violet scent. The next was Emeraude - it's such a 'heavy' scent that I just think nursing home. When I was a senior in high school, I received a bottle as a gift - I guess I smelled like a senior when I was a senior.

What's your most "old lady" scent?

None

what are you afraid of?

Aquatic Scents
    smells are surer than sights or sounds to make your heartstrings crack.

-Vladimir Nabokov

I think of Vol de Nuit and Tabac Blond as old fashioned.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in my mid-twenties, and "Old Lady" scents actually read as bold and defiantly tasteful to me. I find it sort of punk and glamorous the way many older ladies insist upon keeping up beauty and sensuality in spite of a stupid cultural mandate that one no longer exists due to age.

The good: Youth Dew, Aromatics Elixir, and White Linen are all immediately old lady to me, of course, and I don't think I could pull off wearing any of them, but they stand as works of populist art sure to be exciting vintage to the next generation. With the right application they all seem niche.

What is truly "old lady" to me in the bad, fusty, out of style, offensive siliage way people usually mean when they use the term: my mother's perfumes of choice, Burberry, Obsession, Cool Water (the bad). She is a sporty, unstylish post-boomer woman but has stuck to these three since the early 90s and over-applies them all. They have always read as commercial, murky and uninspired to me. I have recently noticed that Obsession almost smells interesting again though, since 80s powerhouses have a quirky excitement about them now.

I am so afraid of wearing Obsession, though. That dark, dark juice! Something about Obsession reminds me of heroin? Actually, almost any Calvin Kleins. So American and so 90s!

Mitsouko. Mainly because I did smell it on old ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    ... Old Lady often translates into aldehydes and animalics (civit, castoreum, and indolic jasmine). To a lesser extent, oakmoss (dry, salty) leather (bitter) and galbanum (earthy, bitter) can raise these connotations.
    Isn't indole present not only in jasmine but also lilac, honeysuckle, gardenia and orange flower?
    Anyway, you have covered some of what I love in perfume with this list.

Currently a vintage Arpège fits this bill in my collection, as does Habanita. I am still a newbie to this "genre", though very much in love with it - aldehyde, chypre and leather rock!
    Last edited by mia von trost; 28th June 2012 at 08:08 AM.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teerose View Post
    What's your most "old lady" scent?

None

what are you afraid of?

Aquatic Scents

Youth Dew - hardly ever wear it. Either that scent changed (in the store I got more incense) or it was just me.
    No 19 - well not that old lady, only slightly...
    Mitsouko

I really don't like the term "Old Lady" but to go along with the thread I guess I'd have to say my Lanvin Arpege.
    What I am afraid of are strong apparent aldehyde and civit notes. Ok you guys can kill me now

"Old Lady" doesn't really mean much to me. I think it's something that people who don't like perfume or who are just jerks say to try and get a rise out of you. I had a young, snotty friend tell me I smelled like his grandma when I was wearing Kouros.