Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for an Opium/Samsara lover!

After two decades of wearing NOTHING but Opium and Samsara, a very dear friend of mine has announced a desire to buy a new frag. In fact, she has been looking to expand her repertoire for a while, but insists that she 'hates all the new stuff on the market' (ie everything that has followed since the big '80s scents: e.g., aquatics, 'ozone' scents, most gourmands and fruity florals).

A breakthrough for her was a recent purchase of Coco parfum (another '80s scent) that she wears for special occasions, but she is now looking for something more everyday.

Any super oriental suggestions, dear friends?
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggestions for an Opium/Samsara lover!

How about Must de Cartier?

Post Thanks / Like

More everyday, but still spicy - or orientals in general? Just thinking that spicy orientals suitable for day wear would be quite a narrow field to go at.

Off the bat I can think of Bvlgari Omnia, but I have it on today and I don't love it.

Oh, there is Serge Lutens 5 o'clock au Gingembre in the spicy oriental category - that is nice and not too strong for day.

L'Air du Desert Marocain is fab, but might be quite hardcore on the incense front for some.

YSL Nu is another one perhaps. Again, a liking for incense would be handy.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I think Le baiser du dragon will fit...and possibly AL Madame X too.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 12th December 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Badgley Mischka might be a nice one for her! (Coco was my first suggestion )

Thanks so much, gang! I think the Cartier suggestions are absolutely spot on!

VM: I guess any orientals would do the trick; they needn't be too muted. After all, this lady is an academic and keeper of Egyptology who wouldn't shrink at wearing lashings of Opium in the classroom/museum. Is Nu still in production?

Ubuandibeme: I have tried Badgley Mischka only fleetingly, but will instruct her to add it to her list. Many thanks
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

You can find Nu in web stores at a very reasonable price. If you go that route, make sure you get the EDP and not the EDT, because they are totaly different fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

As an oriental lover, and Coco fanatic, I recommend Givenchy Organza Indecence. It is not an edible vanilla, and has gorgeous sandalwood and muted spice. Also, Shiseido Feminite du Bois (or any of the Serge Lutens Bois series) is very satisfying.

Has she considered Shalimar? The EDP and parfum are so wonderful.

I have ordered a decant of Divine L'Inspiratrice because in sampling I found it to be sort of a cross between YSL Rive Gauche and Coco. I really want to learn more about this one. Could be an option for your friend.

One I have tried but do not own--Theo Fennel Scent. It is relatively new to the shelves, but has a very classic oriental quality to it. I have not quite fully embraced it yet, but I think it is worth a try.

I keep thinking of new things...so more editing to add: Miller Harris Fleur Oriental and Kenzo Amour (or its flankers)
    Last edited by Asha; 13th December 2008 at 03:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What about a cool light chypre? The new Givenchy III, Lubin; Nuit de Longchamps, or Molinard de Molinard are all easy to wear.
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th December 2008 at 06:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought of Rochas Byzance. I bought it around the same time I bought Samsara, long time ago!

Post Thanks / Like

I second Badgley Mischka, Le Baiser du Dragon, Divine L'Inspiratrice and Feminite du Bois - all great suggestions!

Nu EDP is the more "hardcore" spicy / incensey one of the two, but I picked up the EDT in T K Maxx for a song, and it is very wearable for daytime.

There's also Le Feu d'Issey, if that hasn't been discontinued, I would have said Theorama but I know that has gone,

What about Bois des Iles, which has a little spicy kick to it? Or Black Cashmere, which is back in town. Or Iris Taizo by Parfumerie Generale, or Jo Malone Kohdo Night Dark Amber and Ginger Lily - which you can find on Ebay still.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Samsara, as well. Someone recommended Le Baiser du Dragon and I have that and like it a lot too, as well as Shalimar.

Post Thanks / Like

Adding Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez and Pheromone by Marilyn Miglin.

Post Thanks / Like

How could I have forgotten Dior's Addict...if you need a sample, I'd gladly oblige!

So many thanks, everyone. Your ideas are greatly appreciated.

So much so, in fact, that I have compiled a list of your suggestions for my friend and plan to invite her for a supper-and-sample-sniffing party. She is very excited at the prospect!

I'll report back, if anyone's recommendation hits the spot!

I was offline for a while and just saw this. The first lush scents that came to mind were
    Carnal Flower, Nirmala and Sacrebleu.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

The great and powerful Angel.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You should try Michael Storer's Winter Star. I just got my bottle in the mail yesterday and can't wait to try it out.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

If you can find a bottle of Balenciaga's Rumba, it might fit the bill. A warm, spicy, very womanly scent. Not too long ago, there were bottles on almost all the discount sites going for a song.