Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default L'Edition Imperiale by Courvoisier is a user-friendly M7

Disclaimer: This thread is not intended to bash M7 or those who love it. If you love M7 and are easily offended by someone talking negatively about it, please feel free to skip this thread - thanks!

I got my first bottle of M7 way before I joined Basnotes - as a gift. A co-worker and I started talking about fragrances and she mentioned that she loved the way it smelled. I told her I'd never heard of it, and she told me the whole story behind it (Tom Ford, the ads in Paris that featured the model in the nude, etc) and said that she loved it so much she bought her boyfriend a bottle and he hated it. She told me she'd give me the bottle, if I wanted it, for free. Of course, I took it.

I will never forget that first time I sprayed it on: It smelled like something had burnt (plastic? something oily and metallic?) and then whatever it was that had burnt was grinded down into a fine powder. And then that powder was distilled into liquid form and bottled as M7.

I told her I 'kind of liked it' to not hurt her feelings, but I dreaded wearing it. I wore it at different times of the day, hoping it'd grow on me. It didn't. Shockingly, I received many compliments when I wore it. TON'S of compliments. It ticked me off. Noone complimented me on my other scents. WTF?

I tried other woody scents and loved them. I tried oud (the oil) - love. I even tried other YSL scents - fell in love with RGPH, and many others. But M7, well, is just not for me.

Today, testing L'Edition Imperiale by Courvoisier for the second time (thank you very much Quarry) I came to a conclusion that this scent smells of the best parts of M7 (the dark peat-like and yeasty character of wood) woven into a fantastic cognac accord. It has that same insanely dry texture that M7 has also, but no agarwood (oud) to muck it up and, best of all, NO POWDERY dry down. An easier to wear Fumidus or Yatagan, you might call it. Extremely masculine stuff too.

If you wanted to like M7 but found it rather uncomfortable to wear after sampling it, please try this scent. It needs more hype here on Basenotes! YSL can keep their naked male models - gimme L'Edition Imperiale instead
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th December 2008 at 08:05 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: L'Edition Imperiale by Courvoisier is a user-friendly M7

Considering that I have come to like M7 (though I do not own a bottle) after a little more experience with oud weirdness while I thoroughly disliked Courvoisier, I suppose my conclusion would be the opposite . I've rarely been as irritated by synthetic-induced off-notes (onion rubbed on metal) as in the case of Impériale, a potentially promising composition that smells like it was put together with the cheapest materials on the market for 20 cents a bottle.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

L'Edition Imperiale is a quality fragrance. To my nose it is a nuttier and boozy version of Divine L'Homme Sage.
    Last edited by acjigga; 12th December 2008 at 09:32 PM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

FAVORITES - Richard James Savile Row, Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Lattafa Ameer Al-Oudh, Acqua di Parma Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke

jock with scents had reviewed thsi favorably... and i count his opinion blind...heres his thread

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ht=Courvoisier

as for M7...it'd rate it right up there amongst the profumum's and other niche stuff that i have...
    Last edited by jenson; 12th December 2008 at 09:32 PM.

Sur la Plage

I'll take M7 and the naked model - or just the naked model would be fine.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Considering that I have come to like M7 (though I do not own a bottle) after a little more experience with oud weirdness while I thoroughly disliked Courvoisier, I suppose my conclusion would be the opposite . I've rarely been as irritated by synthetic-induced off-notes (onion rubbed on metal) as in the case of Impériale, a potentially promising composition that smells like it was put together with the cheapest materials on the market for 20 cents a bottle.
    'Onion rubbed on metal' - ouch. I'm so glad I get none of the synthetic notes you do. It smells rich and lovely on me.

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    L'Edition Imperiale is a quality fragrance. To my nose it is a nuttier and boozy version of Divine L'Homme Sage.
    Interesting comparison. I couldn't wear L'Homme Sage (and believe me, I tried it atleast 5 times), it was the middle and base notes that made me uncomfortable, whereas the LEI just felt wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    jock with scents had reviewed thsi favorably... and i count his opinion blind...heres his thread

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ht=Courvoisier

as for M7...it'd rate it right up there amongst the profumum's and other niche stuff that i have...
    Yes, I remember Barry liking it also. I thought it would be hard for me to wear it here in Miami, but today was nice and cool and it worked perfectly. It's dry character makes it non-cloying even in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I'll take M7 and the naked model - or just the naked model would be fine.
    Duly noted Joe.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Hi Mikey
    I must disagree in your comparison .
    Earlier in the year I tried both of these & ended up with a good quantity of both .
    Courvosier to me is more in the Versace Black Jeans or Macassar field , odd pungent spices rather than the Oud types .
    cheers

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43