Code of Conduct

Default Los Angles BNers at Scent Bar Sunday 14 Dec

I think people aren't reading the social group pages, and it is a bit of a pain that we don't get notified of new messages...

Anyway, we've been talking about this on the group for a couple weeks now, so hopefully some can attend. I was thinking around noon-ish to capitalize on better parking.

Morning Star

Default Re: Los Angeles BNers at Scent Bar Sunday 14 Dec

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I think people aren't reading the social group pages, and it is a bit of a pain that we don't get notified of new messages...

Anyway, we've been talking about this on the group for a couple weeks now, so hopefully some can attend. I was thinking around noon-ish to capitalize on better parking.
    Sounds good to me. I'm also thinking of wandering down to Le Labo to try out Musc 25, since I haven't tried it yet.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 13th December 2008 at 09:08 AM.

Default Re: Los Angles BNers at Scent Bar Sunday 14 Dec

I'll be attending a holiday luncheon with another group of perfume buffs. We'll be going to Le Labo after lunch too.

Ooops, I have not been good at checking the group messages. Starting now, I'm making it a point to check it daily.

I'll have to bow out out of Scent Bar this time. I'm tired of doing the drive alone and I can't get my bf to pick a car ride with me, over golf.
    My gfs aren't interested enough in perfumes for me to subject them to several (joyful) hours of sniffing.

I hope you all have fun! Sniff the new PGs for me, 'kay? Felanilla and Drama Nuui?

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    .....I hope you all have fun! Sniff the new PGs for me, 'kay? Felanilla and Drama Nuui?
    Ooh, you lucky SoCal bunch! Some weekend I'm going to have to fly down and join you. I too would like to hear more about Felanilla. I don't own a primarily vanilla fragrance, and it would be nice to have one. Have fun!

I don't know if I can make it this time, and if I can it may be a last minute decision.
    If I don't see you there, have a wonderful time!

Thanks for posting it over here (it is hard to remember to check the groups).

I've got an event down here in SD today. Hope everyone is having fun, and I look forward to hearing your impressions of the frags!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Cant do it; have a Christmas Party. Enjoy!

Astaroth and I were the only ones who made it today. But, we managed to meet up with some MUA fragrance fans, and had a nice tea at the Chado Tea Room on 3rd Street. First we started at Scent Bar right at noon, and stayed a little over an hour. Then, we met the MUA folks at Chado, had tea for a couple hours, and walked over to Le Labo.

What I sprayed today:

Le Labo Musk 25--Aldehydic white musk, very soapy, reminiscent of Chanel No.5 without any florals. When the aldehydes fade, the remaining musk is a clean soapy musk, either a China Musk or a White Musk. It is pleasant overall, but really doesn't seem good enough to command such a high price tag. I'm sure I can get something really cheap at Whole Foods or The Body Shop and come close enough. Only thing is that most of the inexpensive musks don't have aldehydes.

Le Labo Rose 31--Dark, spicy, woody, smoky, incense rose. Astaroth said it reminded him of Montale Black Oud, so when we left Le Labo, we went back to scent bar so I could smell it. Indeed, Black Oud is quite similar, and actually better in my opinion. Rose 31 was also reminiscent of Czech & Speake No. 88 and Domenico Caracini 1913. Again, I can't see that this is bottle worthy with so many other more intricate fragrances out there.

L de Lubin--my 3rd wearing, and I still love it. Citrus, ripe fruits (melons and/or stone fruits), and some light florals. Still reminds me of Diorella and Eau Sauvage. However, its longevity does not seem to be very good.

Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve--my 2nd wearing, this time from the full size spray tester. This time, I think it is love. I remember the last time I wore it, it seemed like a weak and non-descript amber. Today, it is far more complex--amber, incense, spices. I almost bought it.

biehl parfumkunstwerke gs01--green, light floral, salty and nutty (from the basmati rice note), one of the most unusual fragrances I have ever smelled. Unfortunately, it was short lived, and the top and mid notes were the most interesting. The drydown was a rather run-of-the-mill clean floral and green musk. I got a sample so I can try it again to be sure.

I smelled lots of other things, including the new Parfumerie Generale fragrances:

Drama Nuui--a beautiful jasmine based fragrance, which is unfortunately very linear. I think it smells like the jasmine absolute I have in my natural oils collection. However, the fact that it stays so linear for a long time tells me it is probably synthetic. The lack of development got a little tiresome.

Falanilla--indolic floral with the smell of wet carboard to start, but developed into a pretty, soft and powdery floral. The vanilla was very subtle, so that was a relief (some vanillas really pound me over the head). I think it is worth sampling again as it had a very nice development.

Morning Star

I posted a description of the afternoon over in the Male Fragrance Discussion forum here.
    But with the possible exception of my usual obsessive focus on the oceanic scents, Asha has more completely described the fragrances we tried.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

It makes my heart happy to imagine your wanderings and closed-eyes, molecular explorations.
    Thanks for posting, Asha, Astaroth.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I think you can now subscibe to the groups, its under 'group tools' on the main page for each group

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I think you can now subscribe to the groups, its under 'group tools' on the main page for each group
    Cool. I'll check that out. If so, that's a big improvement.