Code of Conduct

Default Los Angles BNers at Scent Bar Sunday 14 Dec

I think people aren't reading the social group pages, and it is a bit of a pain that we don't get notified of new messages...

Anyway, we've been talking about this on the group for a couple weeks now, so hopefully some can attend. I was thinking around noon-ish to capitalize on better parking.

Morning Star

Default Re: Los Angles BNers at Scent Bar Sunday 14 Dec

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I think people aren't reading the social group pages, and it is a bit of a pain that we don't get notified of new messages...

Anyway, we've been talking about this on the group for a couple weeks now, so hopefully some can attend. I was thinking around noon-ish to capitalize on better parking.
    Sounds good to me. I'm also thinking of wandering down to Le Labo to try out Musc 25, since I haven't tried it yet.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 13th December 2008 at 10:08 AM.

Morning Star

Asha and I got to The Scent Bar even before it was opened up by Ashley the Sunday SA (who was apparently shockingly unaware that we on BN all discuss the SAs, often by name ). We went through a solid 30 or 40 scent strips while there. She tried nearly the full line of biehl parfumkunstwerke fragrances, and interestingly appeared to like most the two that I like the most (al02 and gs01). I'm a little curious if other BNers feel the same way about this line. I decided while there to do a closer side-by-side comparison of Profumum Acqua di Sale and Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Hyle. The Acqua di Sale has a sharper, more citrus-like bite to it than the Hyle. I think this, and its longevity, explains why I like it a bit more. But I still consider Hyle to be a great, lower-cost alternative to Acqua di Sale. In other news, Asha appears to be joining the Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve Fanclub. So now javagreen has company.

Then we went to meet some MUA folks for lunch down on 3rd St, followed by a mass exodus to Le Labo across the street to test drive Musc 25. There was a new SA there (not Heather), but I don't remember his name currently. I was really enjoying the Musc 25, right up until Asha pulled all the wind out of my sails by saying, "It smells really soapy." At that point, I realized, "Dammit, it's the soapiness that I'm liking, not the musk!" That scuttled the ship for me, but I don't blame Asha for it. "Friends don't let friends spend $260 on a 50ml bottle of soap." But I haven't completely written off Musc 25 yet. I'll give it another shot, but I'm going to hold the bar pretty high for this juice because of the high price. I could walk around sporting a steady intravenous drip of Kiehl's Original Musk Oil for a lot less money. I will say that I was more impressed with the Le Labo line on this trip than during my last trip there. I seem to be appreciating their work a bit more.

We ended up walking back to The Scent Bar for more sampling, until Ashley closed the store down. I think Asha scored a total of about 6 or 8 samples today. Not too bad. I ended up not taking any samples away, since I have a backlog to plow through currently. I did come close to springing for both biehl parfumkunstwerke gs01 and Comme des Garçons Series 1 Leaves: Calamus (both of which I love), but I resisted temptation for another day.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I was really enjoying the Musc 25, right up until Asha pulled all the wind out of my sails by saying, "It smells really soapy." At that point, I realized, "Dammit, it's the soapiness that I'm liking, not the musk!" That scuttled the ship for me, but I don't blame Asha for it. "Friends don't let friends spend $260 on a 50ml bottle of soap." But I haven't completely written off Musc 25 yet. I'll give it another shot, but I'm going to hold the bar pretty high for this juice because of the high price.
    Great recap Astaroth.

Doesn't Asha have an amazing nose? Really...she can detect notes and name them faster and her nose has much more stamina than mine. I'm jealous.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thank you mike...you would've been laughing because at Le Labo, I said that the Labdanum smelled more like Vetiver than the Vetiver fragrance. Then the SA put a bottle under my nose and said "This is Vetiver, see? It is in Vetiver and also in [one of the others which name escapes me]." So I said, "No, the drydown of vetiver does not smell like what is in the bottle. What I smell in Labdanum is a hint of dried-down vetiver." Then I described to him how it smells. I think he thought I was out to lunch Maybe he doesn't know of a fragrance called Nahema that smells like rose but has no rose oil....
    Last edited by Asha; 16th December 2008 at 05:24 AM.