Code of Conduct

Thread: Scarfs

Question Scarfs

It's really freezing here in The Netherlands, it's absolutely ridiculous, and makes no sense at all, since it's not even winter yet.
    So we are forced to wear scarfs. I bought a really nice scarf yesterday You probably see this one coming. Like most of us I don't really have a signature. There are 3 fragrances I wear a lot, but still i wear like 10+ different fragrances in a month...Now yesterday I was wearing Moschino Uomo? and my scarf already smells like this stuff. Quite nice, but what's going to happen when it's mixed with 10 other fragrances? Not spraying in my neck is not an option.
    All I can do is wait like 10 minutes after spraying before I put on the scarf, but this ain't much of a solution either, it just prevents that all of scent is being left on the scarf, and none on my skin. Also the scarf "blocks" our fragrance from projecting, but that's not such a big issue.

What are your experiences with this?
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Default Re: Scarfs

I have three solutions of dubious practicality:

1) Multiple Scarfs. I know it's ridiculous to have too many scarves (10+?), but I have 3 or so and each of mine generally has a different scent "attached" to it. This generally works quite well since i associate different fragrances with different outfits of mine.

2) Spray your hair instead. I know you said you don't want to give up spraying your neck... but... This can also cause a symmetric problem with hats. I don't like this solution.

3) Go without the scarf sometimes. This can risk freezing. I don't like this option.

This applies to gloves too - staying with a friend of mine who picked up my leather gloves the following day and went "Oooohh - these gloves smell of Eau Sauvage!" (her favourite).

I was going to suggest spraying wrists instead but yeah....

2) Spray your hair instead. I know you said you don't want to give up spraying your neck... but... This can also cause a symmetric problem with hats. I don't like this solution.

3) Go without the scarf sometimes. This can risk freezing. I don't like this option.
    I was doing option 3 the last weeks, but it's just getting to cold in here. I have a question about option 2, as a matter of fact I did this yesterday (spraying my hair). I have short hair, spikey, so it actually goes to my head skin too. Isn't this bad for your hair?

Buy moar scarves! Or wash them more often.
    And alcohol isn't the best for your hair, no - but when has that stopped anyone?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Buy moar scarves! Or wash them more often.
    And alcohol isn't the best for your hair, no - but when has that stopped anyone?
    Buying more scarfs only works when having 1 scarf for each fragrance. No way.
    And I don't want to become bald at young age will his happen if I spray EdT / EdP on my hair?
    Last edited by brianroy; 13th December 2008 at 10:43 AM.

Nah spraying your hair won't cause any permanent damage, it might dry your hairs out a bit, but it certainly won't make you go bald. I have pretty short hair too and I don't have any problems.

The amount of alcohol you spray on your scalp/hair is fairly insignificant IMHO. I mean, if you don't find applying it to your skin dries out your skin, then you're probably fine applying it to your hair/scalp.

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    Not entirely. You might consider one scarf for each fragrance family.
    Washing them is an option you conveniently ignored.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Well, washing scarves can be kinda troublesome if they're wool. You don't really want to have to hit the dry cleaners so often you know....

Not entirely. You might consider one scarf for each fragrance family.
    Washing them is an option you conveniently ignored.
    Hahahah off course I'll wash it. But if i wear 3 different fragrances on 3 days, I'm not going to wash it every 3 days. And Lightbringer is right.

The suggestion about the families is ok, but still I bought a kind of expensive scarf so I'm planning it on wearing it often
    Last edited by brianroy; 13th December 2008 at 11:28 AM.

My solution for you is to stop wearing scarves.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    And I don't want to become bald at young age will his happen if I spray EdT / EdP on my hair?
    It won't make you go bald by spraying fragrance on your head but it may make you become nose fatigued quicker and that is the main reason I don't like spraying my hair with fragrance, I want to be able to smell it for more than 10 minutes.
    Last edited by surreality; 13th December 2008 at 03:19 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

Just try it with only one scarf for a while and see how it goes. I find that the drydowns of all the fragrances I wear regularly mix quite nicely with each other on my scarf, so it smells absolutely fantastic no matter what fragrance I've been wearing.

Dude, your gonna hate me for this, because you already stated it isn't an option, but seriously...stop spraying your neck! I used to spray my neck and couldn't imaging doing it any other way, but then I tried spraying to the inner elbows and chest, under my clothes, and you smell it more that way, and other smell it more too( less evaporation). I'm telling you man, your gonna be aprehensive to switch up what you have been using, but I promise you this works better. Give it a try one day instead of your normal routine and see if it works.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 13th December 2008 at 03:49 PM.

I have the exact same dilemma... I would suggest spraying your biceps/elbows and your chest instead of your neck... when summer comes around, go back to the wrist and elbows

Had the same problem, came up with this solution: I don't spray my frag when I leave home in the morning but instead carry a few small pocket atomizers in my backpack and spray my SOTD when I get to work and remove the scarf... This way, by the end of the day when it's time to go home and wear your scarf again, the frag is worn out or reduced to subtle base notes so it doesn't really cling to my scarf.

The other option, of course, is to just spray your SOTD to the chest under your shirt.

I now spray only on my chest, both to avoid overbroad project (I'm a teacher and my wife is hypersensitive to smells) and to avoid conflicts between perfume and the smell of my watch, my scarf, etc.

great suggestions, I'm doing a mix of the suggestions. I only spray my chest and inside elbows before leaving home, and when I get to work I'll spray my neck once

Some folks can't stand them, but I wear turtlenecks all the time in winter. I too live in a VERY cold area, always windy, so, scarf and/or t-necks are a necessity.
    I also have multiple scarves, however, even a loos fitting (neck) turtlerneck will keep you warm and smelling great all day long.
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!