Code of Conduct

Default Scents/Fragrances that deeply affected your psyche/soul...

OK, so I've been thinking about primal instincts and pheromones and the use of musks like ambergris, oud, civet, hyraceum and castoreum throughout history for both spiritual and sensual use.. These compounds obviously affect people in a very profound way - they seem to tap into the deeply rooted instincts of the human psyche. Can they go as far as changing one's state of mind, re-awakening those primal feelings of truly being alive and feeling re-connected to the world (and even the spiritual domain)?

I know some fragrances have me feel this way, such as Ayala Moriel's Razala. Others have mentioned Musk Ghazelle, pure authentic oud from oriscents, etc.

Please feel free to share any experiences you've had with scents that have triggered something deep in your psyche...

nota bene: Of interest is this article on a certain species of mushroom that can trigger female orgasms simply from the scent of it! Even if we attribute this to the placebo affect, we have to admit this is interesting...
    http://www.edata-center.com/journals...21c9f3802.html
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 13th December 2008 at 07:01 PM.
    Sales thread here

Default Re: Scents/Fragrances that deeply affected your psyche/soul...

#1. Anyone have a sample of that mushroom scent?

#2. Re: the actual point of the post! One frag that I can think of, that was in oil form, was called 'Maya' and I bought it in a shop called Verde on the Northcote Rd. in south London. Something about that one, which at the time was the only frag I ever wore (and put in the bathwater) always, always made me feel like Botticelli's Venus. I don't mean that in a shallow, oooh, this makes me hawt Paris-Hilton kind of way. It just made the teenaged me feel womanly and powerful and beautiful, which was quite something given the ball of insecurities I was at that age (plus ca change!). I almost want to have a nostalgic cry about it just writing this.

Hmmmm...Googling has revealed: https://vault2.secured-url.com/verde...?idProduct=117 - I'm going to call and ask if they have the oil, and if it's been reformulated. If not, it's going to be some bath salts and some memories, for me.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

It's hard to explain, but mostly it's not the fragrance itself, it's what it reminds me of. Particularly if it recalls a moment in my childhood, a fragrance can effect me strongly.

Though I wear it less frequently than might be expected given my small wardrobe, Bois Blond has this effect on me. It takes me right back to the Okanagan valley, where I spent a lot of my childhood.

aspen and polo green always take me back to when i was about 7, it was the only thing i dad used and everytime i smell those two i remember that time in my life.

I have to say nothing on the manufactured front has affected my psyche. However, there have been triggers. I find that on primal level I'm affected by jasmine. Manufactured things are not really part of the subconscious.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th December 2008 at 06:34 AM.

Tuscany/Aramis

Reminds me of the first time I visited Israel, the wonderous sites and smells of the Ein Gedi resort, and of a beautiful girl I met there who told me I smelled "handsome."
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    nota bene: Of interest is this article on a certain species of mushroom that can trigger female orgasms simply from the scent of it! Even if we attribute this to the placebo affect, we have to admit this is interesting...
    http://www.edata-center.com/journals...21c9f3802.html
    I've noticed that I can accomplish the same thing by telling my girlfriend I'm going to clean out the cat's litter box. Any fragrance giving an authentic sense of the ocean or beach is a primal mover for me. They remind me of many happy years spent as a child at Hampton Beach and the South Coast of Maine.

Giorgio for Men was love at first spray some twenty years ago.

I have found many wonderful fragrances since joining Basenotes. Some that deeply affected me are 'Vintage' Tabarome, Tabacco Toscano, Czech & Speake No.88, Kolnisch Juchten and Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955).
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

Had a very strong emotional reaction (and got slightly teary eyed) the first time I smelled Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I have been emotional with L'Heure Bleue, I don't know why because I don't know anybody who wears it, nor it brings any childhood memory.

Avignon pushes the fantasy button in my brain. I don't wear it outside my housen because I tend to daydream when I wear it.