Code of Conduct

Thread: Woody Violets

Default Woody Violets

It's a much-needed lazy Saturday morning for me. I slept in late, and I'm still in my flannel nightshirt and having a breakfast of good black coffee, roasted almonds, and dark chocolate.

I decided this would be the perfect opportunity to do a comparison of four samples of fragrances that feature woody violets. I love violets, but I'm picky (aren't we all?!). Perhaps these observations will be of interest to some of you...

Here are the four:

WOOD VIOLET, by Sonoma Scent Studio
    Notes: Violet, Plum, Cedar, Cinnamon. Clove, Sandalwood, Violet Leaf, Musk
    This is a beauty! The plum adds lushness and depth to the violet aspect. This core has just enough sweetness to perfectly balance the sharpness of the leaf and take the edge off the woods. Not that the woods have much edge -- they are lovely and soft. Perhaps the spices have this effect? I have now been wearing this for over an hour, and I still smell the violets. This fragrance matches my ideal of a woody violet -- it's just what I was looking for!

MIDNIGHT VIOLET, by Ava Luxe
    Notes: Violet, Blue Iris, Orris, Earth, Black Hemlock, Galbanum, Pink Pepper, Cinnamon, Cedar, Sandalwood, Incense, Wood Balsam, Moss, Civet, Cashmere Musk
    This is not your simple woody violet. Just look at the list of ingredients! Imagine a nest of spicy-fragrant, resinous wood chips lined with a spongy layer of sharp and heady green moss and topped with a cluster of deep purple violet blossoms. I also get a bit of booziness (?) in the introduction. This one would be perfect for a stylishly dressed patron at an evening art show, or for a high-powered politician schmoozing with the crowd at a gala fundraiser. I think this is an amazing fragrance, but I'd hesitate to buy it for myself for the same reason I have put off buying the gorgeous Ormonde Woman: My style is pretty much the opposite of sophisticated.

GENIE DES BOIS, by Keiko Mecheri
    Notes: Violet, Nutmeg, Violet Leaves, Birman Benzoin Balm. Sandalwood, Cedarwood
    Nutmeg is my favorite spice, and I think it's an inspired partner for the lovely violet flower. Of the four fragrances, I think this one "hangs together" best. It is also the sweetest, with a tiny whiff of candied violet, but it's nowhere near too sweet to my nose. The woods meld beautifully and are very soft around the edges. Like the Ava Luxe, this one is more than just "woody violet' -- it is a glorious, natural-smelling, feminine fragrance. My favorite of the four!

BOIS DE VIOLETTE, by Serge Lutens
    Notes: Cedar, Violet Leaf, Violet Flower
    This one is the least sweet of the four, and I find it the least feminine. At the opening, it just about bowled me over with its rough-hewn cedar. I didn't like it at all. My initial thought was, "Hey! Where are the violets?!." After about 30 minutes, though, the wood settled down and I had to admire the un-shy, plump and juicy violet that emerged. Final verdict: A slightly heavy-handed, simple composition that smells nice enough if you survive the first few minutes. (Full disclosure: the Lutens style rarely seems to jibe with my taste.)

Wood Violet and Genie des Bois are going on my "to buy" list.

Would you like to share your impressions of any of these fragrances? Are there any other woody violets out there that you recommend?
    Last edited by Haunani; 19th April 2009 at 09:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Woody Violets

This sounds lovely and is going on my to-try list. I've always been slightly skittish about violet frags and thinking about it more, I think this might be due to some bad experiences with very synthetic, very foul violet frags/products (I am thinking specifically of some Yardley Violet dusting powder - URGH!) in my childhood and teens. I've also read it's an extremely hard note to pull off. But, I *do* want to give some violets a try. The Penhaligon's frag is on the to-try list as is the Violetta di Parma.

Thanks for the post, Haunani, and yay for lazy weekend days (I am sitting here sipping hot chocolate in my PJs).
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 13th December 2008 at 07:31 PM.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Don't forget the classic Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene. It may technically be a "male" frag, but . . .

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooo, Haunani! You've just inspired me to try the first three on your list. I've tried Bois de Violette (sampling it again today, in fact).

Have you tried Tom Ford Black Violet? It's on the sweeter side, but does have woody/mossy accents.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to try Genie Des Bois! I love all the listed notes and I also love Midnight Violet, so it sounds like it could be right up my alley...

TVLampBoy, Grey Flannel keeps popping up on my radar and I've resisted sampling it because of its name. Thank you for the reminder. I'm gonna try it!

LedByMyNose, Penhaligon's is rather nice, I think (tried it just recently), but it's not woody at all.

TurquoiseWater, what do you think of Bois Violette? Of the four I sampled today, the Wood Violet is closest to it, but better IMO.

GalambBorong, I've noticed from many of your postings that we share some similar tastes. Do try Genie des Bois! I'm curious about what you'll think.
    Last edited by Haunani; 14th December 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Genie des Bois is lovely; I forget how well this wears on me.

I find Ormonde Jayne Woman to have a close relationship to this, insofar as cedary violets go. The OJ is far more complex and has a soil note the GdB does not, while GdB is airier.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post

I find Ormonde Jayne Woman to have a close relationship to this, insofar as cedary violets go. The OJ is far more complex and has a soil note the GdB does not, while GdB is airier.
    Orion, I love the soil note in OJ WOMAN. I'm crazy about the fresh dirt in Frederic Malle's DANS TES BRAS, too. What IS it about dirt?! Come to think of it, there are violet and wood elements in DTB also.

Late-breaking news: The MIDNIGHT VIOLET has a remarkably beautiful drydown on me. I'm catching a small whiff of licorice, of all things. A very complex and interesting fragrance indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting your impressions, Haunani! I'm planning to try some violet fragrances in 2009. I associate violet with that sweet purple candied violet (which I quite like), or else a powdery Miss Marple's hankie sort of violet. I want to expand my knowledge of violet fragrances this year coming up.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very curious about Genie des Bois now. I am crazy about KM's new bottles and have never tried any of this line.

I don't like Bois de Violette. I find it extremely boring -- obviously well blended, of good quality but, as Haunani felt, too simple. In all, I can't say I really get most of the SL's.

Violet is not one of my go-to notes -- it's taking me a while to get comfortable with it. The only violet perfume I really adore so far is Le Parfum de Therese. Of course, it has lots of other notes mixed in -- melon, jasmine, leather -- but to me it is strong in violet and woods. Would you include it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut View Post
    ...Violet is not one of my go-to notes -- it's taking me a while to get comfortable with it. The only violet perfume I really adore so far is Le Parfum de Therese. Of course, it has lots of other notes mixed in -- melon, jasmine, leather -- but to me it is strong in violet and woods. Would you include it?
    Interesting, Chestnut. I'm going to have to get out my little sample of Le Parfum de Therese again. My notes (from a while back) indicate that I liked the melon and mandarin, that it was very subtle on my skin, and that I needed to try it again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post

Spot on! Same here. However, OJ is my preference of the two.

Thanks for this thread, Miss H.!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Bois de Violette (and all the SL Bois scents) because I love Feminite du Bois. After trying all of them, I still think FdB is the best. It too has violet, but it is more subdued than in BdV. FdB is so much more balanced, that I wasn't getting the "click" I needed from the other Bois scents. In fact, BdV was my least favorite, and I really only liked the drydown (which is pretty much the same as FdB).

And what about La Violette de Caron which is a green one, not overwhelming at all ?
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    It's a much-needed lazy Saturday morning for me. I slept in late, and I'm still in my flannel nightshirt and having a breakfast of good black coffee, roasted almonds, and dark chocolate.

I decided this would be the perfect opportunity to do a comparison of four samples of fragrances that feature woody violets. I love violets, but I'm picky (aren't we all?!). Perhaps these observations will be of interest to some of you...

Here are the four:

Notes: Violet, Plum, Cedar, Cinnamon. Clove, Sandalwood, Violet Leaf, Musk
    This is a beauty! The plum adds lushness and depth to the violet aspect. This core has just enough sweetness to perfectly balance the sharpness of the leaf and take the edge off the woods. Not that the woods have much edge -- they are lovely and soft. Perhaps the spices have this effect? I have now been wearing this for over an hour, and I still smell the violets. This fragrance matches my ideal of a woody violet -- it's just what I was looking for!

MIDNIGHT VIOLET, by Ava Luxe
    Notes: Violet, Blue Iris, Orris, Earth, Black Hemlock, Galbanum, Pink Pepper, Cinnamon, Cedar, Sandalwood, Incense, Wood Balsam, Moss, Civet, Cashmere Musk
    This is not your simple woody violet. Just look at the list of ingredients! Imagine a nest of spicy-fragrant, resinous wood chips lined with a spongy layer of sharp and heady green moss and topped with a cluster of deep purple violet blossoms. I also get a bit of booziness (?) in the introduction. This one would be perfect for a stylishly dressed patron at an evening art show, or for a high-powered politician schmoozing with the crowd at a gala fundraiser. I think this is an amazing fragrance, but I'd hesitate to buy it for myself for the same reason I have put off buying the gorgeous Ormonde Woman: My style is pretty much the opposite of sophisticated.

GENIE DES BOIS, by Keiko Mecheri
    Notes: Violet, Nutmeg, Violet Leaves, Birman Benzoin Balm. Sandalwood, Cedarwood
    Nutmeg is my favorite spice, and I think it's an inspired partner for the lovely violet flower. Of the four fragrances, I think this one "hangs together" best. It is also the sweetest, with a tiny whiff of candied violet, but it's nowhere near too sweet to my nose. The woods meld beautifully and are very soft around the edges. Like the Ava Luxe, this one is more than just "woody violet' -- it is a glorious, natural-smelling, feminine fragrance. My favorite of the four!

BOIS DE VIOLETTE, by Serge Lutens
    Notes: Cedar, Violet Leaf, Violet Flower
    This one is the least sweet of the four, and I find it the least feminine. At the opening, it just about bowled me over with its rough-hewn cedar. I didn't like it at all. My initial thought was, "Hey! Where are the violets?!." After about 30 minutes, though, the wood settled down and I had to admire the un-shy, plump and juicy violet that emerged. Final verdict: A slightly heavy-handed, simple composition that smells nice enough if you survive the first few minutes. (Full disclosure: the Lutens style rarely seems to jive with my taste.)

Wood Violet and Genie des Bois are going on my "to buy" list.

Would you like to share your impressions of any of these fragrances? Are there any other woody violets out there that you recommend?
    Thanks for sharing Haunani ! My fav note is violet !

Fabulous- I will try Wood Violet out- I've been meaning too. I also LOVE the KM Genie De Bois and I adore Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe - I love the aprfum extrait best. Midnight Violet is really a very well blended fragrance .
    Bois De Violette was one I have been lemming for the longest time but I'm having second thoughts now.

I'm also after Penhaligon's Violetta, Berdous Violettes des Toulouse ( spelling ? ) , Tom Ford Black Violet and OJ Woman. I didn't like Violetta di Parma - it reminds me of green bananas !
    I got some Ultraviolet Paco Rabanne ( basically because it was fairly cheap ! ) - I get violets from it though i am not sure there is an actual violet note in it. .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th December 2008 at 12:00 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

Haunani, that was excellent.
    I haven't smelled any of those except Ava Luxe Midnight Violet, and I loved that one.
    My epiphany occurred during the Note Identification Project when I smelled the aromachemical called Ionone Alpha for the first time.
    I was so impressed. It was gorgeous: full, deep, boozy, fruity, woody (very woody) and sweet at the same time. Any violet perfume I buy must capture that scent/ must include a high proportion of that chemical.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mysticknot--

BeautyCafe.com (10% discount if you type "Basenotes" in the coupon field) carries Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse in the EdP and EdT version. Go for the EdP. The EdT is much weaker and fades quickly, although it is nice for spraying bedsheets. This is a lovely scent to fall asleep by.

Marshall's recently carried the EdT in a pump spray-- 125ml for $5.99. I also saw the fancy bottle with the bulb atomizer at T J Maxx last month for $14.99 but it, too, was the EdT.

If you purchase the bottle with the bulb atomizer, don't store it with the bulb sprayer attached, to avoid evaporation/deterioration of the scent (thanks to Twolf for that tip.)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 14th December 2008 at 04:33 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 30 Roses ! I will do that ! Berdouses VDT is the one I am most likely to get for now too. I will get the EDP .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

Today I just received my sample of Stephen Jones from Lucky Scent. Had forgotten what it was supposed to be, dabbed some on, and VIOLETS. So I had to rush back here to report. It's somehow a funky, oddball violet scent There are some woods, though that's secondary, I think, to aldehydes. Not sure if I'd wear it much, but I think a violet lover needs to try this. I do think it's kind of sexy in a totally weird, gothic way.