Code of Conduct

Default Besides cologne, what do you use in your routine?

Ok, so now that im learning how big of a freakin world this whole fragrance thing is, i thought to myself that you must all be pretty picky about what soaps and conditioners you use aswell? Do you worry about clashing scents when picking a soap for instance? So cut and paste this list with your answers.

what do you use as-

Laundry detergent:

Fabric softener:

Deodorant:

Shampoo, conditioner:

Body wash:

Hand soap:

Shaving items:

are you picky when it comes to thous?

In the paste the only thing iv worried about was deodorant and body wash.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Besides cologne, what do you use in your routine?

i have a bunch of good body washes......

Rive Gauche
    Helmut Lang Cuiron
    Helmut Lang
    Sabon Patchouli

for shampoo though, i've noticed that more important than the smell is the quality.....so i stay away from gimmicky ones with too many harsh chemicals.

deodorant, Anthony For Men, which is absolutely fantastic. lightly scented and works beautifully!

i don't care much about detergents and all that....

The short lived pleasure of a nice smelling body wash is, IMO, not worth ruining or negatively impacting in any way my scent of the day, which I will be enjoying for many many hours. So, I go out of my way to making myself "neutral" except for my scent of the day - to me anything else is like trying to listen to an audiophile stereo setup with a TV blasting away in a nearby room.

Laundry detergent: All Clear Unscented

Fabric softener: None. Lots of controversy over the health impact of the musks used in these and they're just not worth it, IMO.

Deodorant: Kiss My Face Unscented Roll on. I've got a few of these, and pop out the ball and put in about 10 sprays of a scent and then have a matching deodorant to my fave scents for a mere $3.

Shampoo, conditioner: These I'm not too picky on. Right now I'm using Abaya? Rosemary Mint shampoo and Pantene Ice Shine conditioner. No lasting scent to speak of.

Body wash: Unscented dove bar soap. I noticed a significant increase in longevity and clarity of my scents after switching to this.

Hand soap: Unscented dove bar soap.

Shaving items: Shave Secret shave oil ($3 at Walmart) with a light amount of Trumpers Coral food face conditioner. The former has a clovey scent and the latter a light rose scent, but used in small quantities the scent dissapears 10 minutes after shaving. I use a lightly scented all natural anti-wrinkle cream by Avalon organics to moisturize my face afterwards.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Deodorant: Clinique for Men

Shampoo, conditioner: I shave my head, so whatever by body wash is

Body wash: many different ones, but my 'go-to' is Prada Amber. I love that the fragrance smells like soap, which gives the body wash the richest soap smell.

Hand soap: varies, but right now I'm using Prada Infustion d'Homme soap bars. They're great.

Shaving items: I switch between a vintage double edge razor and a Quattro Titanium depending on how much time I have in the morning. Although I switch up my products, right now I'm using Matis Homme pre-shave scrub.

I use Dior Homme Dermo System moisturizer/after shave (not Dior Homme the fragrance line but Dior Homme Dermo the skin-care line, which is totally different and unscented. This line had been Europe-only, and until recently you could only get it gray market for double retail. You can now get it via Sephora online (only).

For shaving cream I switch between Trueffet & Hill, DR Harris, and St. James of London shaving creams..

I leave the laundry to my wife (duh), so I'm not sure what she uses.
    Last edited by bbBD; 14th December 2008 at 04:38 PM.

Like SOS, most of everything is unscented, I don't like mixing scents...

Laundry detergent: Unscented, Tide

Fabric softener: None. Ruins clothes over time and the musk issue makes me paranoid.

Deodorant: Unscented (salt) crystal or Tom's of Maine Unscented Deodorant

Shampoo, conditioner: Head and shoulders (the icy mint one)

Body wash: Dr. Bronners all natural organic peppermint body wash

Hand soap: Unscented Dove

Shaving items: Cromwell and Cruthers natural shaving oil (smells a little like sandalwood) + Mach 16 or wtv amount of razors they're at now.

Moisturizer/conditioner: Pure Coconut Oil

Laundry detergent: I used to use Rose and Violet Tide, but I think they've stopped making it.

Fabric softener: None.

Deodorant: Nancy Boy, Tom's of Maine Woodspice, and sometimes I use Mitchum Solid if it's important that I don't sweat.

Shampoo, conditioner: Nancy Boy

Body wash: Korres Fennel, Booth's Breathe Easy

Hand soap: Various

Shaving items: Merker or Feather blades in Merker safety razor and a large super badger brush. Shaving creams with the brush: Trumper's Violet and various ones from Taylor's of Old Bond Street. Brushless shaving creams: Nancy Boy Signature, Korres Absinthe.

Things you didn't ask about:
    Moisterizers: Nancy Boy Ultramarine, Zirh Correct & Rejuvenate, Korres Eyebright, Sharps Lotion.
    Face Wash: Zirh Clean, Kiehl's Facial Fuel
    Face Scrub: Sharps

Like you, L'aventurier, I've taken to using unscented lotions and soaps (Dove unscented, like yourself). I used to use a lot of vanilla-based lotions, but I'm finding that they interfere with my sampling experiences!

what do you use as-

Laundry detergent: mom does this

Fabric softener: again, mother is responsible

Deodorant: gilette fusion triple action

Shampoo, conditioner: herbal essences for both

Body wash: original source, lemon or lime flavour

Hand soap: antibacterial gel from walmart

Shaving items: gilette fusion stealth razor, nuage pre shave oil, gillete fusion shave gel, gilette after shave balm or an aftershave splash if im using the same edt that day.

I read on the Estee Lauder site that anti-bacterial soaps/body washes also break down aroma chemicals.

I like to have nice aromatic soaps in the bathroom--lavender or tea tree or something--but other than that I don't worry about it. Perfumes are pretty hardy characters and seem to overpower the dozen other scented products I use.

Since developing this fragrance hobby, wherever possible i.e. soaps, antiperspirants etc. I wear unscented.

Sears Ultra Plus HE powder detergent, does a wonderful job, economical, leaves no scent
    No fabric softener
    Tom's of Maine deodorant, usually calendula if I can find it
    No shampoo preference, keep hair clipped very close to head, so doesn't really matter
    Alternate among green tea, lemon verbena, and sandlewood bath bars, different brands
    No hand soap preference
    Edge Extra Protection shave gel, Schick ST disposables, Everyman Jack unscented face lotion
    One other: hand lotion, currently use Lubriderm but would like to try something else, maybe Aveeno

Laundry detergent:

Surf or Duo - these have the highest scores in consumer tests. Where I used to get my shirts pressed I had two different assistants ask me: "Your shirts are cleaner than anyone elses, what do you use?" and "I always know when your shirts are in because they smell better than anyone elses; what do you use?"

Fabric softener:

I've stopped using fabric softener.

Deodorant:

(currently) Mugler Cologne Mineral

Shampoo, conditioner:

Redken for Men (or, ahem, Redken Colour Extend)

Body wash:

Sanex (but now almost impossible to find)

Hand soap:

Palmolive Anti-bacterial Liquid Soap

Shaving items:

L'oreal Men Expert Shaving Foam (I gave up gel for this)
    Gillette Mach 3
    L'oreal Men Expert Vita Lift or Hydrating Balm

Garnier Ambre Solair Men SPF 25

Natio For Men Hydrating Eye Cream

Facial cleanser - Redwin Sorbolene; (currently) Clinique Skin Supplies for Men Face Scrub

Deodorant: J.A.S.O.N. Naturally Fresh/Tom's of maine lemongrass
    Shampoo: J.A.S.O.N. Natural Biotin
    Soap: Chandrika
    Toothpaste: Xlear Spry Xylitol
    Gum: Xlear Spry Mint, also chew Frankincense tears.
    Shaving: Electric clipper, after: own essential oil mix

Laundry: IDK, probly should.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 15th December 2008 at 04:23 AM.

Loreal mens expert! I swear by it! Vita lift at night and when I want something non greasy Hydra Power! Rhis tuff works amazing and smells awesome. Keeps me looking beautiful! But really black don't crack! Hahahahahahahah

Deodorant: Mitchum's Unscented for Men. Smells slightly musky but it never clashes, ever.

Shampoo, conditioner: Naturals Shampoo and Naturals conditioner (with the Koalas on the front.) Kind of smells like fruit, but doesn't last that long.

Body wash: Irish Spring Body Wash. I've got to change this. It leaves a greenish musk on my skin all day and I think it crushes some lighter scents.

Hand soap: Whatever they use at work

Shaving items: Electric Razor.

Bodywash- Aveda Mint--
    Green Irish Tweed-Awesome product

Deodorant-Dove Powder- does not affect frags.

Shampoo- Aveda Mint-

Shave- Fusion Razor-King of Shaves gel.

Laundry detergent: Unscented All "Clear"

Fabric softener: Unscented Target brand dryer sheets, but I'm not convinced they really do anything, so after the box is used up, I'm not using 'em again.

Deodorant: Either the one matching my SOTD, or an Adidas deodorant, which I've hoarded since apparently they've stopped selling it in my area. The scents are light enough and have very poor sillage so they don't clash.

Shampoo, conditioner: L'Oreal Vive for Men in the gray bottle for thinning hair - shampoo and conditioner in one. I do use some kind of organic tea tree conditioner for my mustache/beard - it's white but I'm not sure of the brand.

Body wash: I'm a total convert to Nancy Boy soap - the Signature scent. Minty and zingy, but the scent doesn't linger.

Hand soap: Method green stuff - cucumber scented? I bought about 6 jugs of it when it was on sale, and now they don't sell it at Target regularly.

Shaving items: Right now, Crabtree & Evelyn's Sienna scent shaving cream, applied with a badger brush. I put a thin coat of Noxzema on first, then the shaving cream. I shave with a double-edge old-fashioned razor. Finish up with Nivea moisturizer, but as I use things up, I'm switching everythign to Nancy Boy products. I don't want to sound like a shill for them, but they're great.

Im still trying to find an unscented deodorant that I like, I use Old Spice - but dont like the added fragrance.

As for shaving, I use Truefitt & Hill 1805 foam - it is amazing, very nice light scent that doesnt stay on the skin at all. I use Baxter of California aftershave that I really like as well.

I highly recommend both of those for any wet shavers out there.

Laundry detergent: Tide Powder Detergent (it's cheapest. I'd get the unscented if it's the same price)

Fabric softener: Some random sheets.

Deodorant: Uhm. Don't use? I'm not a fan of the antiperspirants due to aluminum, and then if there's no scent and no antiperspirant... there's not much point....

Shampoo, conditioner: Head and shoulders.

Body wash: Dove Unscented.

Hand soap: Method Sweet Water Liquid Hand Soap

Shaving items: Gilette shaving gel and a mach 3 razor.

I'm not terribly picky about these items. What I'm really picky about isn't on this list but...
    1) I use Cetaphil cleanser to clean my face.
    2) I always wear some form of UVA-protecting sunscreen when I step outdoors. I am a nazi against wrinkles. Clinique makes some good ones, but I'm not tied to them by any means. But I always use this.

I make some general effort to use unscented items, so it doesn't clash with my fragrance for the day, but don't go hugely out of the way other than for the bodywash, which I always try to keep unscented.

I agree on the aluminum, that's why I use what I do. However...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    Deodorant: Uhm. Don't use? I'm not a fan of the antiperspirants due to aluminum, and then if there's no scent and no antiperspirant... there's not much point....
    ...my armpits could not disagree with you more.

Is it that much of a problem? I don't really sweat there much to begin with unless I am exercising or outside my climate controlled environs (which I do my best to never leave)... Sorry, the whole "everyone must use deodorant" thing is a little American and hard for me to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    Is it that much of a problem? I don't really sweat there much to begin with unless I am exercising or outside my climate controlled environs (which I do my best to never leave)... Sorry, the whole "everyone must use deodorant" thing is a little American and hard for me to understand.
    Hahah, weird. So people don't mind smelling you?

Also, the whole "anti-persperants are bad because of aluminum" is one big fat lie, completely disproved by the FDA.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2005/405_sweat.html

It's many thanks to the internet that jokes like these get passed around. Same goes for eating 9 spiders a year in your sleep, and many other facts you thought were rules of thumb.