Code of Conduct

Default Dark berries/fruit

Alright, I know I just posted a similar thread on dry resins and vanilla, but I'm a fickle thing, ok?

Now I'm in the mood to sample sumptuous, rich, dark, tangy, syrupy berry-flavoured fragrances. I'm thinking of fragrances similar to Crystal Noir, Paco Rabanne XS Black, Diesel Fuel for Life, BBW Blackcurrant Vanilla* even... only a more refined rendition of those. All three mentioned have the tendency of getting very cloying and outstaying their welcome - but they also have in common that they don't just focus on the sweetness of the fruit they use. No artificial flavouring lollipop candies, here; they keep some tanginess to counter the syrup. They also have proper, wintery, dark foundations rich in woods, musk and vanilla.
    Of course, I've run blackcurrant, cranberry and even passion fruit through the Directory, but the results I get veer into the way sweet (Ralph Lauren Hot, anything Escada) or watery tropical fruit punch (something Green Tea was among the results).

Things I have tried: Byredo Pulp - Woah. Sweet. Unwearable to me. Tom Ford Black Orchid- Very heady. May need to retry and suffer through the opening stages.
    Things in this category (I think) I should l try: SL Arabie, Jo Malone PomNoir (have a sample coming to me)

Anyone willing to give me a push in the right direction?

*Keep in mind that I have no access to BBW generally. I took some Blackcurrant Vanilla lotion from the US last time I was there.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 14th December 2008 at 07:10 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dark berries/fruit

Trish McAvoy Sexy 9 ~ "Infused with Amazon lilies, the intoxicating scent of patchouli and the added warmth of amber, the #9 fragrance becomes sensually rich and sweet. A sexier, more sultry way to wear #9 Blackberry and Vanilla Musk."

Yves Rocher Iris Noir ~ Ignore the official notes and feel the vibe. Dark, sweet, but veering clear of cloying. I could be made to believe blackberry lurks, although that's not in the notes: bergamot, coriander; iris, rosy notes, floral notes; patchouli, tonka bean, ambrette seed.

Serge Lutens Bois et Fruits ~ Cedarwood, plum, fig, peach, apricot.

And, to some extent, SL Bois de Violette, because it still has that "purple" quality. I find it sweet. Some call it dry.

Indult Isvaraya ~ Patchouli, Indian plum tree, jasmine.

:bounce: Of all of the above, my fave is the Yves Rocher, which makes my head spin with delight, because it happens to be the least expensive!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

P.S.
    Black Orchid almost won me over. I like to smell the vial, but I don't want to wear that scent all day.

The Pom Noir is really neat, but DH disliked it. It has a prominent spice presence.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hermessence Ambre Narguile is rich and fruity for me...also Badgley Mischka.

Sur la Plage

Maybe Lalique Amethyst
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

:bounce: Of all of the above, my fave is the Yves Rocher, which makes my head spin with delight, because it happens to be the least expensive!
    Lucky you! I confess, I *did* try Iris Noir at some point - just can't recall for the life of me what it smelled like. I'll have to rediscover now.

Thanks all! Any other ideas?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

The Body Shop has cranberry scent around for christmas, it's a very warm fruity scent, it reminds me a lot of XS Black but TBS has some spices in there I think because of the season. Ofcourse you can wear it when it's not in the season
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Badgley Mischka

Elle YSL has a dark fruit note on me that is quite dry, combined with the cedar.

DelRae Bois de Paradis has a blackberry note that is somewhat sweet but very rich and beautiful. It might be worth a try.

I'm also thirding Badgley Mischka. While I didn't like the fruit in this as much as in the other two, it's still very nice.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I don't normally go in for berry/syrup scents.
    But the following is a dry, brooding, Byronesque take on dark fruit.
    Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone. I like it. The incense notes give it a heady, other-worldly aura.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

DKNY Delicious Night
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

L'Artisan - Mure Et Musc Extreme
    Try it ASAP

I must be a sucker for punishment in asking for berry recs, since many fruit-heavy frragrances give me an instant headache. YSL Elle and Delicious Night are examples. (For that matter, so is Black XS and Crystal Noir is definitely toeing the line)

Mûre et Musc: D'oh. I should have come up with that myself. Will try.
    Badgley Mishka: Never heard of, will pursue now.
    I tried TBS Cranberry products, but wasn't blown away. Nice enough, but no instant love.

Douglas Adams

Hmmm...Le Parfum de Therese? Or Fleur de Cassie? (I think both are made by Frederick Malle.) Samples or decants first though...these are not beloved by everybody!
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    DelRae Bois de Paradis has a blackberry note that is somewhat sweet but very rich and beautiful. It might be worth a try.
    BlackCat beat me to it, but I still have to second this choice. It's the one fragrance I though of when I saw the title of the thread. It's intoxicating, one of the nicest fragrances I've smelled in the past 3 months of testing. The fruit notes in it are just beautifully done, especially the blackberry and fig. I gave it a try at Barneys only when the SA told me it was done by Michel Roudnitska, since I loved Noir Epices so much. He's a genius, and Bois de Paradis is yet more proof. As a man, I certainly wouldn't wear this to a tractor pull, but women can wear it anywhere.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    As a man, I certainly wouldn't wear this to a tractor pull ...
    Best visual of the day, A!

Alright, time for a recap

Badgley Mishka
    ByRedo Pulp
    DelRae Bois de Paradis
    Hermessènce Ambre Narguilé (anyone else always think of Nazgul when reading that..?)
    Indult Isvaraya
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Malle Fleur de Cassie
    Malle Parfum de Thérèse
    Lalique Amethyste
    L'Artisan Mûre et Musc (Extr)
    SL Bois et Fruits
    SL Bois Violette
    SL Arabie
    Trish McAvoy Sexy 9
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Yves Rocher Iris Noir

Douglas Adams

How about Poison?

Fleur de Cassie? I found that very-powdery-floral with indoles, some lily-vanilla and even a little plastic. Not a bit berried or even fruity. Do other people smell berries?

Bois de Paradis, yes. Berries and woods.

Blog Entries

I get Blackberries, fresh green ivy, & wet garden soil in Diptyque's L'Ombre dans L'Eau.

And my favorite dark fruit is the animalic/boozy orange liqueur I get from Mona di Orio's Nuit Noir.

Rumba?

Bois de Paradis is lovely, and very cedary on me; it's one of the more refined fruity frags.

Guerlain Insolence - raspberries
    CK Euphoria - pomegranate
    Dior Cherie - strawberries

are examples I can think of.
    Last edited by dimples; 15th December 2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added Dior
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

How about Femenite du Bois and Dolce Vita?

By Killian Liaisons Dangereuses has notes of : coconut flesh, prune absolute, plum, blackcurrant buds absolute, crystallized peach, cinnamon bark oil, ambrette seed absolute, rose Damascus, geranium bourbon, sandalwood Australian oil, oakmoss extract, vetiver java oil, clear woods, vanilla extract, white musks.
    I've never tried this one and I'm curious about it. Are the fruit/berries predominant or is it the rose?

I don't know of any non-sweet berry fragrances other than Pomegranate Noir, which I fell in love with over the Thanksgiving holiday. Just adding my recommendation for that one to the others. I think you'll really like it.

Givenchy Hot Couture, Chopard Mira-bai, Hugo Boss Deep Red,

The Different Company - Sublime Balkiss

Notes - Patchouli, Violet, Blueberries, Blackberries, Blackcurrants, Damascus Rose from Bulgaria, Clusters of Lilac...

Madenss by Chopard

Poison and all its spawn give me awful headaches, sadly.
    Feminité du Bois is lovely, but not quite what I mean. On me, it's quite "thin" and mostly cedarwood - I get very little berries at all and definitely not the lush darkness I'm after. In fact, my SotD today (Secret Obsession) is very clearly related to FdB, but lusher.
    Sublime Balkiss I have tried, and in my (albeit foggy) memory that was much brighter, again, than what I'm looking for now. Admittedly, that was a long time ago and I probably need to retry.

Others I have not heard of and will be added to the list! Thanks all.

Douglas Adams

Blog Entries

I see you are considering SL Arabie. To me, it is all leather, very male. You might try SL Ambre Sultan. It is lush golden spices, fruit & amber & a smidgen of incense. It reminds me of a Christmas rum punch - the kind you light on fire and then drink. Another spice - cider type with more of a fermented plum note is Frapin 1270. Very gourmand. (LuckyScent and Aedes have it).

I found TDC Sublime Balkiss dry and fairly subtle for a berry scent, but everything depends on your own tastes and perspective, of course.

Lulu Guinness - Cast a Spell

Notes: Dark Berries, Frosted Blackberry Pulp, Mulberry, Red Currant, Iced Lavender, Lilac Petals, Davana Blossoms, Black Velvet Fig, Amber, Bourbon, White Patchouli
    Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    L'Artisan - Mure Et Musc Extreme
    Try it ASAP
    Seconded.

Or Ava Luxe Blackberry Musk.
    Last edited by Kotori; 31st December 2008 at 05:58 AM. Reason: add
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Basenotes Institution

I agree with the Bois de Paradis by Parfums Del Rae recommendation. However, you have to also like rose and cinnamon. But this one is also, very berry/fruity.

Also try Bahiana by MPG.

Ambre Sultan doesn't go fruity at all on me! Funny. I love it, but I would never have put it in the berry/fruit category from how it performs on my skin. 1270 had already ended up on my to test list for some reason, thanks!
    Another Ava Luxe to try, then

Mûre et Musc is a must, I see. I'll probably make time to go to some brick & mortar stores next week, I'll be sure to take the list of results from this thread!

Douglas Adams

I would say Poison, but the vintage version, the one from the 80's. A nice plum smell, very sensual and quite deep.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I can maybe cross a berry frag off your list - Keiko Mecheri Wild Berries. It fits what you want initially, smells of dark purple berries (soft, not sharp, which I liked) but it dries down (quickly, imo) to nothingy sweetness. I find this with a lot of the KM frags actually.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Divine L'Homme Sage had a delicious lychee fruit note.
    Now, before you go thinking, "But that's not berries," please note that I also love Crystal Noir and I also registered "deep-fruity" with Black Orchid. And, I require woodiness with my fruits. So, there ya go.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 1st January 2009 at 09:48 PM.

Another berries perfume is Donna Karan's Delicious Night

Let me add Parfums de Nicolai's Sacrebleu with its candied fruit opening that is anchored by a dark incense base.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    Let me add Parfums de Nicolai's Sacrebleu with its candied fruit opening that is anchored by a dark incense base.
    Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    Good! A sample of that one is making its way across the ocean as we speak.

Purplebird, I love how you defended L'Homme Sage - on the list it goes. Great name, by the way.

Too bad about the KM, Led. I've only tried 2 of hers: Loukhoum and Patchoulissime, neither of which fully sit right with me. Loukhoum is just too sweet and I suspect I'm anosmic to parts of Patchoulissime. It's there for 5 minutes and then *poof* gone - only white noise. Smells rather like a sour Molecule 01, actually. KM's frags are wildly expensive on this side of the ocean anyway, so it's all good.

Douglas Adams

We await your verdict.
    Please return with advice for the rest of us who would like to try more dark berry fragrances.

Definately you should try DK Delicious Night.
    It completely surprised me. Highly underrated scent, i find.
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Alright, after having tried a few of your recs, I have something constructive to add again.
    The full list of recs, including the ones I initially mentioned:

Ava Luxe Blackberry Musk
    Badgley Mischka (2 votes)
    Balenciaga Rumba
    By Kilian Liaisons Dangereuses
    Byredo Pulp
    CK Euphoria
    Chopard Mira-Baï
    Chopard Madness
    DelRae Bois de Paradis (5 votes)
    Dior Poison (2 votes)
    Dior Chèrie
    Dior Dolce Vita
    Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau
    Divine L'Homme Sage
    DKNY Delicious Night (3 votes)
    Indult Isvaraya
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir (5 votes)
    Frapin 1270
    Frédéric Malle Fleur de Cassie
    Frédéric Malle Parfum de Thérèse
    Givenchy Hot Couture
    Guerlain Insolence
    Hermes Ambre Narguilé
    Hugo Boss Deep Red
    Lalique Amethyst
    L'Artisan Mûre et Musc Extreme (2 votes)
    Lulu Guiness Cast a Spell
    MPG Bahiana
    Mona di Orio Nuit Noire
    Parfums de Nicolai Sacrebleu (2 votes)
    Serge Lutens Arabie
    Serge Lutens Bois et Fruits
    Serge Lutens Bois Violette
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Shiseiso Feminité du Bois
    The Different Company Supreme Balkiss
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Trish McAvoy Sexy No 9
    Yves Rocher Iris Noir
    YSL Elle

Here are the ones I've (re)tried on skin since, and my thoughts on them. I'll try to locate most of the above recs, only Miss Dior Chèrie I refuse to try on skin. That one gives me a headache just being in the same room where it's being sprayed, let alone taking that piercingly sweet cotton candy with me.
    Pulp - Sweetness overload. Yes, there's berries in there, but the whole gives the impression of bathing in the most potent fruity, syrupy jam imagineable. Not bearable for me.
    Delicious Night - Initial blast of grape juice followed by something sharp; I suppose that's the berry part. I get why this gets a better rep than the original Delicious, but it gives me a headache. Piercing sweet-sour is the impression it gave me before scrubbing it off.
    Pomegranate Noir - Opens on something interesting, a bit sweet but not too much - could well be pomegranate. There's a weird urinous note running through it, though. The fruit is soon replaced by something bitter-herbal-mentholated. Not very pleasant to my nose.
    Ambre Narguilé - wonderful, but I get no berries. Cinnamon-apple pie-liquor-raisins, yes, berries or darkness, no.
    Mûre et Musc Extrême - Very nice! Tangy, medium sweet, but I would not have pegged the fruit as berries if I had sampled blind. Something citrusy, perhaps. Further in the drydown it goes a bit cinnamon-apple pie, like Ambre Nrguilé, only brighter, less dense and syrupy. Very refreshing, not dark.
    Mona di Orio Nuit Noire - On the blotter, barnyard. On the skin, it opens on decaying flower and progresses into live flower with a hint of indolics. Jasmine, maybe. I get no berries, and little noir after the opening.
    Sacrebleu - reminds me of Parfum Sacré a lot: roses but done in a way I can tolerate. Tinged with soap, expertly blended. Well-behaved and very much not me. Overall impression: old-fashioned classiness, tea parties, pink doilies.
    Arabie - Yikes. Extremely dense, way too much so. Like a sauce that has been over-reduced; thick, tarry, strongly scented but not positively so. Definitely dark, though. It calms down a bit later, but starts smelling of Indian restaurant. Not wearable to me.
    Bois Violette
    Feminité du Bois
    YSL Elle -
    I should just write one comment for the last three, because they seem very much related. They all are heavy on the cedar, and give a thin, tinny impression to me. I get very little fruit or berries, just a sweetish tinge to the woods. They're easy to wear and I can see why they're popular, but they don't sit right on me, nor are they dark. In addition, Elle gives me a headache.

Douglas Adams

Now that I think about it, Cast a Spell may be a little too jammy-sweet as well. Sorry you're not having much luck so far (but, oh, won't it be delicious when you find one that hits all the right notes?).
    Sniff and let sniff.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

You knew this mission was going to be grueling when you took it on, but see it through. Your fellow perfumistas are depending on you. Carry on, lieutenant!

Ma'am, thank you Ma'am!
    That comment made my day.

I was a bit hasty on Mûre et Musc and Sacrebleu, by the way: I'm not as fond of the drydown on MeM as I was of the opening, and Sacrebleu is getting prettier and prettier. Less doilies, soap and powder, more hard-to-describe warm doughy vanillic residue. Still, not sure if I would deal with the opening for that reward.

Douglas Adams

I love Quarry's comment...
    I'll add my thanks for doing this, and I'm referencing this thread next time I make the Sniffing trek into San Francisco.
    ^_^

Another one you could try is Gucci II EDP. Pink square bottle. Not very dark, but good berries.

Or Falling in Love by Philosophy. Also more on the refreshing side, though.

On the cheap side, BBW Midnight Pomegranate is very nice. However, if Delicious Night gives you a headache (it does me), then the Midnight Pomegranate might, as well. (I get a headache from it sometimes.)

L'Artisan also has a Parfum Extrait version of the Mure et Musc. Very pricey, but my favorite of the bunch. Very juicy.
    Last edited by Kotori; 10th January 2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: add
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay