Code of Conduct

Default Egoiste renamed as Python for women's market?

I sampled Python for women by Trussardi today, and the experience recalled reviews I remembered from BN on Egoiste. I found this review of Python: "This is a sweet, gourmand fragrance, with notes of Bergamot, Chocolate, Plum, Nutmeg, Jasmine, Rose, Cardamom, Vanilla, and Sandalwood. The juice is a dark pink color that will permanently stain your clothes. The opening note of plum is very strong, and then it settles into a sweet caramel nutmeg, with a hint of chocolate... I find it sickly sweet and artificial, and after about 15 minutes it smells like medicine."

I don't agree that this is sickly sweet, but I'm used to sweet frags anyway. I would say that the sandalwood is quite strong, and it does havr a "medicinal" quality (like Robitussen cough medicine in the top notes). Anyone try both of these frags (I haven't sampled Egoiste so I don't know for sure)?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 15th December 2008 at 12:56 AM.

Default Re: Egoiste renamed as Python for women's market?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    (I haven't sampled Egoiste so I don't know for sure)?
    I could tell that you hadn't sampled it by your question. I have not tried Python, but I can tell you that Egoiste is NOT a gourmand fragrance.

Égoïste's pyramid:
    Top notes: Sicilian Tangerine, Brazilian Rosewood
    Middle notes: Coriander, Damask Rose
    Base notes: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Ambrette seed
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 15th December 2008 at 01:50 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

^ What TwoRoads said, plus I'm assuming Chanel has iron-clad control (literally and legally) over its formulas.

Well, that was taken from the best review of Python I could find. I like gourmands, and I don't think Python is a gourmand because the sandalwood note is so strong. There's nothing about it that reminds me of food, in the way something like Amour de Cacao does. From the notes you listed for Egoiste I have a feeling that Python was an attempt to make a feminine version of Egoiste.

From the notes you listed for Egoiste I have a feeling that Python was an attempt to make a feminine version of Egoiste.
    Egoiste is pretty much as masculine as a fragrance can be - there's nothing unequivocal about it. I'm not sure one can make a 'feminine version' of Egoiste. That said I happen to like gourmands and Python sounds like something I'd like to sample. I rarely purchase bottles of feminine-marketed gourmands because I usually find them too sweet.

Well, that was taken from the best review of Python I could find. I like gourmands, and I don't think Python is a gourmand because the sandalwood note is so strong. There's nothing about it that reminds me of food, in the way something like Amour de Cacao does. From the notes you listed for Egoiste I have a feeling that Python was an attempt to make a feminine version of Egoiste.
    Why Egoiste and not another fragrance with a prominent sandalwood note? Santal Noble, for instance, has a wonderful coffee and spice thing going on with the sandalwood.

Besides, Chanel already has a feminine version of Egoiste: Bois des Iles.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 15th December 2008 at 04:42 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I sampled Python for women by Trussardi today, and the experience recalled reviews I remembered from BN on Egoiste. I found this review of Python: "This is a sweet, gourmand fragrance, with notes of Bergamot, Chocolate, Plum, Nutmeg, Jasmine, Rose, Cardamom, Vanilla, and Sandalwood. The juice is a dark pink color that will permanently stain your clothes. The opening note of plum is very strong, and then it settles into a sweet caramel nutmeg, with a hint of chocolate... I find it sickly sweet and artificial, and after about 15 minutes it smells like medicine."
    My experience with Chanel Égoïste is nothing like this description of Python. Égoïste has no bergamot, no chocolate, no plum, no nutmeg, no jasmine, no cardamon, and no sweet caramel.

Well, if you go to the BN directory and read the neutral and negative reviews of Egoiste, you will see what I mean. If you were to make a composite of those reviews, it would sound like the Python review, and is also consistent with my sampling of Python. It looks like I'm going to swap a sample of Python for a sample of Egoiste with a fellow BNer, so I'll report back in a week or so, and he will likely do the same.

Well, if you go to the BN directory and read the neutral and negative reviews of Egoiste, you will see what I mean. If you were to make a composite of those reviews, it would sound like the Python review, and is also consistent with my sampling of Python. It looks like I'm going to swap a sample of Python for a sample of Egoiste with a fellow BNer, so I'll report back in a week or so, and he will likely do the same.
    it's probably just a coincidence, but I guess you'll see for yourself soon!

With all due respect, I think lots of the reviews (mine included I guess) are swayed by associations. What is "caramel"? There are hundreds of varieties and not one word can describe the nuances. Also, sandalwood is a nuanced note in itself encompassing milky, sweet, woody and bitter notes all in itself. If you smell the essence you will know what I mean.

Another factor is that very often and inadvertedly, I'm sure, there is confusion over the concentration tested before writing a review or even some confusion over particular fragrances themselves (that goes for lines with especially confusing names such as Ferre or Gucci, who repeat the designer name in every fragrance's name in the line like Eau de Gucci, Gucci eau de parfum, Gucci by Gucci eau de parfum etc.) I am not saying this concerning the reviews on *these* two fragrances you ask about, but it's worth bearing in mind when reading reviews that do not specify EXACTLY what they are reviewing (including info on concentration and bottle look). It can get confusing!

That said, I don't find those two similar. Egoiste is quite manly, very well made and with a woody sweetness to it as opposed to a fruity/foody sweetness to it.
    Python has the medicinal quality, but all rolled into the fruity-bubllegum note in it which somehow makes you think you're taking a spoonful of cough suryp chased with a red lollipop to cut the weirdo factor.

But I wanted to point out something: it's not conclusive that if something has a high ratio of sandalwood it can't be a gourmand or because it's bitter/medicinal. A gourmand fragrance is one subdivision of orientals and orientals use sandalwood to good ratio for decades ~and even centuries, one could argue.
    Gourmands usually highlight some aspect that recalls some kind of food, be it beverage (coffee etc.) or candy (caramel etc.) or other edible (chocolate, cupcake, biscotti, macaroons etc).
    Hypnotic Poison on the other hand is a perfect example of a bitter gourmand: it's medicinal, but it's a gourmand, because it focuses on bitter almond; the link is unmistakeable.
    Last edited by helg; 15th December 2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add

I think all that one can say is that a frag is not a gourmand to you, but it might be to someone else. The sandalwood in Python is too strong for me to regard it as a gourmand frag, and the medicinal quality (especially in the top notes) also has that effect, but for all I know someone else might smell it and think of food.

bigsly, i´d be really interested in your perception of egoiste on the scent strip and on your skin.
    Last edited by kitz; 15th December 2008 at 08:34 PM.

Well, if you are addressing that to me, I'll admit that I don't understand smelling strips at all. Either I don't smell much of anything or it doesn't smell like it does on skin. However, I have been thinking about spraying on a strip and putting it a breast pocket, rather than spraying on the chest. This is on my frag "to do" list. LOL.

i sure do
    personally i see scent strips as the equivalent to a first impression of a person. you get a picture, you may even pass a judgement, but you might be absolutely wrong. sounds encouraging, no?
    i like scent strips to get an idea what the perfume is like in general. if i like that and find nothing i like better that day, my two favorites from the strips will make it to my skin. most often i do not keep the strips. if i do, i place them in the pocket with my hankerchiefs, so i accidentally smell them again and again. otherwise i forget about them.
    so .. try egoiste on your skin then!

Okay, I tried one spray nearly 5 hours ago. It's quite natural and not medicinal, unlike Python, which is very medicinal to start. It's a very pleasant "fruit leather" and mild rosewood type of thing, with little development, and mediocre/decent longevity (with that one spray though). Python has a strong sandalwood note that Egoiste definitely does not have. Egoiste is quite smooth by comparison, and is not too sweet either. I'm surprised that it's not more complex, as is Python. Egoiste is quite nice, but only sample worthy for me, so thanks go out to bbBD for supplying that sample!