Code of Conduct

Thread: Apres L'ondee

Blog Entries

Question Apres L'ondee

I have a chance to aquire a bottle of Apres L'ondee on the 15th of Dec. but, after reading the reviews I am still wondering if a male can pull off wearing this frag. Given the price and I haven't tested it the purchase would be a blind buy without all of you so, please chime in with your opinions as they will be very appreciated.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 15th December 2008 at 02:00 AM.

Default Re: Apres L'ondee

The short answer is, yes, a man can absolutely pull it off. I have a decant (from the Posh Peasant) and it's stunning. Definitely wearable and bottle worthy (though I've yet to spring for a bottle). FWIW, it's also on Luca Turin's list of best feminines for men to wear.

I'm not sure I'd blind buy it, however. I've never smelled anything else quite like it. Though I'm a Guerlain Zombie®, AL'O seems to be the classic Guerlain most liked by people who don't otherwise like Guerlains.

On the other hand, if you pick up a bottle you should have no trouble unloading it around here. Lots of Basenoters (myself included) have Apres L'Ondee high on our to-buy lists!

I have it and find it quite beautiful. That said, I don't reach for it too often. I find L'Heure Bleu much more wearable.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th December 2008 at 03:00 AM.

I own it and wear it - it's stunningly gorgeous.

It's a little bit on the sweet side, but no more so than the typical Guerlinade base.
    Last edited by bbBD; 15th December 2008 at 03:05 AM.

Agree - yes! First cool on anise, then powdery on iris and vanilla. A bit sweet, but much less so than L'Heure Bleue. And not more than Mouchoir de Monsieur.

Apres L'Ondee is high on people's wishlists, so I gather it's not a too wild blind buy ;-)

I find it a rather quiet fragrance with a sweetish air that is not immediately thought of as feminine (none of the fruity floral vibe that so many current feminines exhibit!), with lots of heliotropin to stand for cassie which is the predominent element (and not violets, like you might have read; they're all too fleeting in this one....). The slightly anisic note is also a very nice addition (created through the use of benzylaldehyde, it would be recreated more forcibly in L'heure bleue some years later).
    It's also rather less known than L'Heure Bleue so even Guerlain wearers on the street might not identify it right off which is always a good thing in my books (and would obliterate your qualms about it ebing perceived as feminine).

If you like that quiet feel of Apres L'Ondee, I suggest sampling Chant d'Aromes next which I had reviewed on the blog some time ago: it's another one (different in smell however) which although very tender and floral-chyprish could be pulled off by a man and exude a "je ne sais quoi" quality about it that would make people pause and ask. ;-)

Basenotes Institution

Yes this man loves it.

I have to say, when I first sampled it, I instantly disliked it. I thought it smelled too powdery, too...spinster-ish. Thereafter, I got a gift of a very expensive bubble bath (some niche Italian line) and the main scent was mimosa. I loved it - the floral element...straight out of the bottle it smelled like gasoline, it had such a unique floral/petroleum/honey vibe to it, I was fascinated by it and emptied the bottle quickly. It was about that time, that I re-tested Apres L'Ondee. This time, the heliotrope (which is I guess, just like mimosa...right?) greeted my nose and I relaxed and enjoyed it. More recently, I retested Eau de Hiver by Frederic Malle, and that scent is like a Apres L'Ondee remixed, it's really taking the original idea and moving it along and modernizing it. But still, Apres L'Ondee is a classic. I would kill to be able to smell the parfum.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th December 2008 at 03:12 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I`d say - you`d better buy it...

So, N_Tesla - I wonder, did you buy it?
    I`d like to know your opinion too
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Apres l'ondé is a wonderful scent. My only complain is about its longevity: I wish they made it in edp strength indeed!

"Ça se porte léger", like they say chez Guerlain in Paris. When I asked for an EdP of Vetiver when I was at the Place Vendôme store in 2005, the strict SA looked hard at me like I had very bad taste. "Ça se porte léger, Vetiver!", she said. Same goes for Après L'Ondée...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Apres l'ondé is a wonderful scent. My only complain is about its longevity: I wish they made it in edp strength indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes this man loves it.

But still, Apres L'Ondee is a classic. I would kill to be able to smell the parfum.
    I found someone with the parfum and have a small sample on the way... I will report back.

I wore Apres as my SOTD yesterday and it was wonderful - a great combination of warm heliotrope and cool anise - just sweet enough without getting into cloying territory. I do wish it lasted longer, but otherwise it's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    "Ça se porte léger, Vetiver!", she said. Same goes for Après L'Ondée...
    I would have replied her "Ça se porte léger, c'est vrai, en effet il faut que Monsieur Guerlain as bien pensé de créer la version extrême!"
    it's intended, I understand what's your point and I agree that's the kind of scent that stays on the delicate side and it's indeed part of its beauty.
    I wouldn't pretend Apres l'ondé to become an overpowering monster but I would at least be able to faintly smell it on the back of my hand after 4 hours while it just pouff.. vanishes out in almost a couple of hours and I cannot afford to trip around reapplying it 4-5 times a day.

So many Guerlain classics in their EdT formulas have such short durations that they come off more like colognes.Pity.

Although the Apres didn't last as long as some other EdTs, when I applied generously I did find it lasting 5-6 hours. Plus, since I can't smell my neck/chest directly, I assume they still smelled of it for a while after the 6 hour mark. Yes, some classics are not super-concentrated, but that's like complaining that a vintage Ferrari is no good because you don't like the color.

And remember Jean-Paul Guerlain's motto: "Luxury is something pretty and discreet. Luxury must not be something brash".

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Yes, some classics are not super-concentrated, but that's like complaining that a vintage Ferrari is no good because you don't like the color.

And remember Jean-Paul Guerlain's motto: "Luxury is something pretty and discreet. Luxury must not be something brash".
    He must hate Insolence, then.

Presumably. Neither am I sure he's too fond of L'Instant pour Homme. Oh well, he's the old generation anyway. Things have changed. But luckily, Après L'Ondée hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    LOL. So true.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I agree with the remarks about being disappointed with the longevity but it's a frag that completely deserves the word 'charming'. Such a pleasure to wear, esp for the first hour. A great casual, weekend masculine, in my opinion.