Code of Conduct

Question Recommend me a (niche) christmas gift for my mother

Hello all, I have a question for the ladies.
    I want to buy my mom a niche for Christmas. She likes fragrances for "mature ladies", not for young ladies. Her favorites are Samsara and Angel by Thierry Mugler.
    She is completely crazy about Angel, she thinks it's a scent for mature women. She likes sweet fragrances, but hates cloying sweet. (I know some of you see Angel as very cloying, she doesn't)
    She get's a headache quite easy from some strong fragrances. She hates Chanel no 5 and bubblegum sweetness like in Ange ou Démon Givenchy. She didn't like Musc Ravageur.

So it has to be something longlasting, sweet, not cloying, and for mature women. It should absolutely not be a "weird" fragrance (like some niches tend to be) and also not "fresh".

I'm thinking warm feminine orientals and nice gourmands. She appears to love vanilla and tonka. I wanted to give her Spiriteuse Double Vanilla but it's too hard to find. Is there a Creed that matches the discription? Or any other niche. Are there Angel+Samsara lovers here, and what do they think? (off course I m open to recommendations from any Basenoter)
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Default Re: Recommend me a (niche) christmas gift for my mother

I wonder whether she would like Thierry Mugler's Alien, it's heavy on the jasmine (like Samsara), and uber potent. It's sweet but not foody sweet. It's unusual. I really love it. But it's one of those love/hate fragrances. Sounds like your mom can handle it, though.

Oops, sorry, I just realize you are looking for "niche". I suppose Alien wouldn't fall into that category.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 15th December 2008 at 01:37 PM.

Hi Brianroy,
    what about Nicolai Vanille tonka and Caron Parfum sacré? The first is sweet but not cloying (at least to me), vanilla, cinnamon, incense and lemon peel. The second is a very peppery and "dense" rose, very sexy in an adult way. Hope this helps.

I am looking for niche, but off course I don't mind you mentioning Alien I'll give it a try

Well, not really niche but classy, rich, and seemingly in order:

COCO by Chanel

How about Chanel Coromandel? It's soft oriental and it's "Les Exclusifs de Chanel ". My mother-in-law who loves Angel loves it.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Rather than getting her one bottle, may I suggest you get a boatload of samples? Can you imagine all the fun she'll have?

Fragrances that come to mind: Amouage Jubilation XXV, Indult Tihota, L'Artisan Dzing!

Set up a couple dozen scents in a lovely bowl, or some such. I swiped these pix from this thread by 30Roses:

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

The sampler pictures are lovely! Please think about introducing your mother to the trinity of great Guerlains: L'Heure Bleu, Mitsouko, and Jicky. If she loves Samsara....

She may like Bond No 9 Nuits de Noho. It's available in their incredibly luxurious and rich body cream or EDP. If you decide to get the cream or the EDP, it's best to call Bond directly to order at 877.273.3369. If you mention MUA, there is a permanent 15% discount and the shipping is free. They wrap things up very nicely and include six free samples too.

Quarry's idea is very nice - and depending on where you are, why not go to Skins for some hands-on (nose-on) advice? It's the only store here I know of with such a range of niche lines, and the SA's tend to be reasonably informed. They're very willing to set you up with some samples, too.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Very nice and great recommendations...Today I received a sample of Spiriteuse Double Vanille, and she disliked it. Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by brianroy; 15th December 2008 at 11:00 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Have you thought about Shalimar? I know it's not technically a niche perfume but it sounds like something your mother would like. If you wanted to spend quite a bit of money you could get her the parfum, it's fantastic.
    Last edited by Candy Perfume Boy; 16th December 2008 at 11:51 AM.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Smile Re: Recommend me a (niche) christmas gift for my mother

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Rather than getting her one bottle, may I suggest you get a boatload of samples? Can you imagine all the fun she'll have?

Fragrances that come to mind: Amouage Jubilation XXV, Indult Tihota, L'Artisan Dzing!

Set up a couple dozen scents in a lovely bowl, or some such. I swiped these pix from this thread by 30Roses:

What a great idea! Whether you go for samples or a full bottle of something, I second Indult's Tihota (vanilla and musk--samples at luckyscent), also their Isvaraya (lychee and rose), and Manakara (plum and patchouli). I also love Profumum's Dulcis in Fundo. Now I've given you recommendations from two of the SPENDIEST houses out there!!
    I'm near 50 and I love Serendipitous, L'Artisan Bois Farine, Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax, Bond's Nuits de Noho and New Haarlem, and Sinfonia di Note's Coeur de Noisette (a hazelnut dream!). Another less expensive possibility is Love's True Bluish Light by Ava Luxe, which is very popular here..a musky vanilla. All of those recommendations I find sweet but not cloying, and interesting but not super weird. Good Luck!

Consider Parfums de Nicolai Sacrebleu -- a moderately sweet and spicy scent with just a breath of floral notes. Perfumes: The Guide calls it a "Dusky Oriental." The scent is different but not "look at me!" different.

Blog Entries

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan is just gorgeous. The first time I tried it I thought I'd died & gone to heaven. Or she might like, Bois Oriental, Vetiver Oriental, Bois de Violette, etc. A great frag that's just an all around lovely womanly floral is Patou 1000. A little known gem that is not hard to find or wear!
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th December 2008 at 07:47 PM.

Great idea Quarry!
    A few that I think she might like (from your description), some are mainstream, some more difficult to get:

1. L de Lolita Lempecka (beautiful bottle) - vanilla and cinnamon
    2. Shiseido's Feminite du Bois (gorgeous femininely curvy bottle) - woody, dried fruits, a Christopher Sheldrake creation before his stint at Lutens, I think it's available in Europe
    3. Shalimar (mentioned before) - lemony vanilla, fabulous drydown
    4. Gucci Eau de Parfum (brown juice not the pink one) - always classic, almost niche-like
    5. Chanel Bois des Iles - always a classic
    6. Hermes Ambre Narguile - gourmand
    7. Guerlain Iris Ganache - gourmand (white chocolate) with a hint of cool iris, yet not too cloying.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Wow, I have a lot of sampling to do. Thanks again for the suggestions. I forgot to mention her other favorite, which is Silver Rain from La Prairie. I was rather shocked that she disliked Spiriteuse Double Vanille.

Was thinking of this last night after I signed off...

Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream -- gourmand plus oriental in one, and very niche!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Blog Entries

What do any of you think of my Winter Star or Yvette as a niche for this woman?
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

edited
    Last edited by Sloan; 19th December 2008 at 08:42 PM.

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834. It's my current favorite with a usage rate of about 15ml/month. Borneo 1834 is a camphorous bittersweet patchouli/chocolate swirl that smells like sweet earth on me. As Turin said, "Borneo 1834 is like Angel in reverse: instead of jumping out at you, it sucks you into its shadowy space."

Bond No. 9 H.O.T. Always is also another you should investigate for its rich, camphorous, earthy patchouli feel. Chinatown might be a stretch but it has widespread appeal and it smells incredible.

Chanel Cormandel is an outstanding recommendation as j_mysscent mentions.
    Last edited by Sloan; 19th December 2008 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer View Post
    What do any of you think of my Winter Star or Yvette as a niche for this woman?
    Yvette sounds delicious