Code of Conduct

Default some of the best designer scents in your wardrobe

Most of us around here have a major part of each's collection growing towards Nichedom..if not already, then in time, will be... you may swear by your Creeds, Parfumerie Generales, Profumums, L'artisans or what have you....but still, there would be some out here, who still can't let go of some of the so called- designers scents in your wardrobe...would anyone care to share which are these irreplaceble ones? and please, strictly from ones wardrobes...

mine would be
    Gucci Ph
    ST Dupont Ph
    Rochas Lui
    Boss Selections
    Paco XS
    Baldessarini
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Chanel PM and PMC (if this comes under designer)
    YSL Opium
    Lagerfeld Photo, KL Homme
    Lalique Encre Noir
    Narcisco Rodriguez for him

(i wouldnt add Ungaros I, II, III as their rates have shooted up like anything)
    Last edited by jenson; 15th December 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: some of the best designer scents in your wardrobe

Kiton Black is an unbelievable scent. I would give it the highest ratings possible, as it may be one of the only designer scents close to 'perfection'....at least since Cuiron was discontinued.

Varvatos Vintage and Porsche Design Essence are two really well made, balanced, and unique fragrances which occupy a certain space in my collection. These are wearable, easy to use, and easy to find scents which work on an everyday level. I really think scents like these two define the fact for me that NOT ALL designer fragrances are rubbish.

Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir is another remarkable scent, although it's a designer limited edition---so it doesn't really qualify under the 'easy to find' category. it offers a beautiful overtone of leather on an already fantastic citrus base of Eau Sauvage. This stuff exudes class and dignity.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is a classic in every sense of the word. I'm out of stock for this at the moment, but will be buying another bottle soon!
    Last edited by everso; 15th December 2008 at 01:49 PM.

I have many that I love dearly... now, I'm not getting into the whole 'how to define niche and designer'. I personally consider Guerlain, Hermessence, Chanel Exclusifs, Dior Homme exculsives, etc. to be in the 'niche' category. You may define it differently.

Helmut Lang EdC/EdP/Cuiron

Hermes Eau d'Hermes, Eau d'Orange Vert, Equipage, and Bel Ami

Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere, Cristalle EdT, Pour Monsieur

Dior Homme, Fahrenheit Diorella, Diorama, Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir

D&G By

Ralph Lauren Polo and Polo Modern Reserve

I'm pretty happy with my designer selection

Guerlain(some of), Hermessence, Chanel Exclusifs, Armani Prives etc. would come in the niche category.

The distinction between niche and designer concerns scale of production and distribution (and is, thus, IMO not as meaningful a marker of quality as it is sometimes taken to be). My favorite designer scents in my wardrobe include:

Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge EdC
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Lalique Encre Noir
    Azzaro PH
    Chanel PM
    Caron Yatagan and 3me Homme

Current Irreplacables:
    Gucci PH I
    Gucci PH II
    Burberry London
    M7 Fresh
    Geir Ness
    Lalique PH Equus
    Rochas Man
    LL au Masculin
    L'eau d'Issey (there will always be a place in my heart for LdI)

On the Fence:
    A*Men
    Gaultier2
    Terre d'Hermes
    KenzoAir
    L'eau par Kenzo PH

Soon to be Relegated:
    Mat; Very Male
    V&R Antidote
    Chic
    Cool Water

Upcoming Buys in Wishlist:
    L'occitane Eau des Baux
    DK Fuel for Men
    Dior Homme
    Dior Homme Intense
    Eau Sauvage (Fraichuer Cuir!)
    Helmut Lang Cuiron
    Yohji Homme
    Shalimar

Havana
    Havana Reserva
    Rive Gauche Intense
    Kenzo Power
    Tiffany For Men

actual designer:
    Dunhill for Men - d(iscontinued)
    Burberry Britt
    L'Eau bleue d'Issey
    Cacharel pour l'homme
    Eau d'Hermes
    Jil Sander Man Pure - d
    Maxim's pour homme (Cardin) -d
    Patou pour homme - d
    R de Capucci - d
    Signoricci vintage - d
    Zino Davidoff
    Valentino Vendetta - d
    Dominguez Vetive hombre

non-niche:
    Guerlain AA Pamplelune
    Guerlain Eau du Coq
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EdC
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    d'Orsay Arome 3
    Jacques Bogart
    R&G Farina
    Caron 3rd Man
    Desprez Versailles p.h. - d
    Crown Perfumery, Spiced Limes - d
    Trumper - Extract of West Indian Limes
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'm enjoying the Prada Infusion d'Homme today. Very nice for work on a Monday.

Dunhill for Men
    Versace l'Homme
    Paco XS (the Himalaya for this poor man)
    Maxims pour Homme
    Montana Parfum d'Homme (Red)
    R de Capucci
    Signoricci
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Lalique: Pour Homme (Lion)
    Lalique: Pour Homme (Equus)
    Carven: Homme
    Agent Provocateur: Strip
    Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme
    YSL: Opium (femme)
    Norell: Parfum
    Chanel: Cristalle (EdT)
    Etro: Vetiver
    Etro: Messe de Minuit
    Christian Dior: Dune (femme)
    Gres: Cabaret
    Hermes: Eau d'Hermes

Polo Modern Reserve
    TdH
    Burberry London
    Bulgari Aqua
    Armani Mania
    Versace PH
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

It's hard to resist the temptation to take a swing at such a big fat pinata'. Very hard. But I will and just answer the silly question.

Ungaro 1
    Nemo
    Moschino Pour Homme
    Opium EDP
    Tuscany
    New West
    M7
    Nicole Miller
    Jules
    Trussardi
    Habit Rouge
    Carven Homme
    Mugler Cologne
    Third Man
    Roccabar
    Yatagan
    Sud Est
    Cristobal
    Aramis 900
    Burberry Man - 1st & 2nd versions
    Hanae Mori
    Declaration in it's many forms
    Kiton
    Boucheron
    Fendi Life Essence

noirwest...i must say, you have one of the best designer based wardrobes in basenotes...

Truthfully I've been so partial to Creed for the past couple of years, amassing as many of them as I can and constantly adding more Creeds to my collection. I'm also a big fan of Serge Lutens and Lorenzo Villoresi. However, there are still several designer scents in my wardrobe that I will always have in my collection, and when I run out, I will replace them indefinitely, because they are some of the great classics:

Antaeus
    Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Gucci pour Homme
    Heritage-Guerlain (well a lot of people consider Guerlain niche, so maybe it is niche)
    Pour Lui-Oscar de la Renta
    Rocabar-Hermes

In my wardrobe:
    • Dior Homme & DH Intense
    • YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    • Chanel Pour Monsieur 1955
    • YSL Kouros
    • Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
    • YSL Opium EdP
    Honorable Mentions in my wardrobe:
    • Prada Infusion d'Irir
    • YSL Opium
    • Antaeus
    • Aramis Tuscany
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Blog Entries

There are a few of us who would probably rate designer scents much higher than most of the niche, and I am one of them- despite owning my fair share of "niche". Answering this question about niche would have been much easier for me as there are only 2-3 that would pop right away. There are several designer scents that are comign to mind, though. But here it goes:

Aramis Bermuda Tonic
    Aramis JHL
    Chanel Antaeus
    Caron Yatagan
    Christian Dior Jules
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Nina Ricci Signoricci
    YSL Kouros
    Zino Davidoff
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    The distinction between niche and designer concerns scale of production and distribution (and is, thus, IMO not as meaningful a marker of quality as it is sometimes taken to be). My favorite designer scents in my wardrobe include:

Lalique Encre Noir
    This has come up before, but I really don't understand why people keep placing Encre Noire in the category of "designer". If we are solely going off of distribution alone, then it is niche because it can't be found anywhere. It isn't carried in Macys, Sephora, etc. and even my Saks, said you could only find it in larger cities not at most Saks. The only place I know that carries it is Aedes. So this distinction of it being designer is really hard for me to understand.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 15th December 2008 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    This has come up before, but I really don't understand why people keep placing Encre Noire in the category of "designer". If we are solely going off of distribution alone, then it is niche because it can't be found anywhere. It isn't carried in Macys, Sephora, etc. and even my Saks, said you could only find it in larger cities not at most Saks. The only place I know that carries it is Aedes. So this distinction of it being designer is really hard for me to understand.
    it'd be better if we do not get into a debate on whats niche and whats not......we cannot be perfect in nailin down every aspect.

All my Givenchy stuff, my Hermès stuff, Antaeus, and a few Diors I think. Those would be tops. Lots of other great ones too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I love all of them. I think the only real niche I own is Creed.

Without question:
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    Caron Yatagan
    Versace PH (it's my go to frag, always makes me smile.. can't beat that)
    Grey Flannel
    Prada Amber
    Ungaro II

The "I'd probably replace, but I'll have to see how I feel when I finish my current bottle/decant" scents:

Burberry London
    V&R Antidote
    Santana
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Davidoff Adventure
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 16th December 2008 at 06:00 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Gucci Envy
    Nautica Voyage
    Azzaro Chrome
    Givenchi Pi
    YSL M7
    Hermes Terre d' Hermes, Equipage & Bel Ami
    Guerlain Heritage, Habit Rouge, Derby, & L'heure Bleue
    Richard James Savile Row
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Zino Davidoff
    Shiseido Balsala
    Burberry Brit
    Last edited by silverbullet; 15th December 2008 at 06:46 PM.

I'd place Encre Noir in the designer category because Lalique is a design house that is, if anything, better known for jewelry and glassware than perfume. Yes it's very difficult to find their fragrances in brick-and-mortar stores. On the other hand, plenty of fragrances that are clearly designer fragrances are close to impossible to locate (e.g. Chanel PM (not Concentree) in the U.S.). And where I live in Oklahoma, everything is difficult to find.

To my mind a niche brand is a company that specializes much more narrowly in fragrances and is selling to a smaller market of perfumistas. Andy Tauer would be a very clear-cut case. Brands like Diptyque, L'Artisan, Creed, Montale, etc. are also pretty clear.

I suppose Serge Lutens--which I think of as niche--is almost a challenge to my model, as the line is produced by Shiseido, which is a much more general-purpose cosmetics company (like Guerlain). But, especially in Europe, SLs are also very widely available in department stores.

Ultimately I'm more interested in whether or not something smells good.

chanel pour monsieur
    eau sauvage
    guerlain vetiver
    burberry london
    rive gauche pour homme
    polo (green)

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    it'd be better if we do not get into a debate on whats niche and whats not......we cannot be perfect in nailin down every aspect.
    I agree completely, I rarely partake in the numerous threads pertaining to the above issue, because there is no answer. Everyone is going to have a different opinion, but I have seen the frag in question constantly referred to as designer and I just had to get that opinion off my chest. I really did not intend on instigating another niche vs. designer war.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    I'd place Encre Noir in the designer category because Lalique is a design house that is, if anything, better known for jewelry and glassware than perfume. Yes it's very difficult to find their fragrances in brick-and-mortar stores. On the other hand, plenty of fragrances that are clearly designer fragrances are close to impossible to locate (e.g. Chanel PM (not Concentree) in the U.S.). And where I live in Oklahoma, everything is difficult to find.

To my mind a niche brand is a company that specializes much more narrowly in fragrances and is selling to a smaller market of perfumistas. Andy Tauer would be a very clear-cut case. Brands like Diptyque, L'Artisan, Creed, Montale, etc. are also pretty clear.

I suppose Serge Lutens--which I think of as niche--is almost a challenge to my model, as the line is produced by Shiseido, which is a much more general-purpose cosmetics company (like Guerlain). But, especially in Europe, SLs are also very widely available in department stores.

Ultimately I'm more interested in whether or not something smells good.

Fair enough. I agree with the Andy Tauer, Diptyque, etc. I think most would agree as well, I think where people have more difficulty is the things that lie on the line (i.e Lalique), but as to not continue off topic and instigate another, unnecessarily heated debate, I won't go any further.

I agree completely, I rarely partake in the numerous threads pertaining to the above issue, because there is no answer. Everyone is going to have a different opinion, but I have seen the frag in question constantly referred to as designer and I just had to get that opinion off my chest. I really did not intend on instigating another niche vs. designer war.
    mtgprox05!! you have my utmost respect!

CHANEL Pour Monsieur
    CHANEL Egoiste
    Boucheron Jaipur

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    mtgprox05!! you have my utmost respect!
    And you mine Jenson!

Prada Amber pour Homme
    Prada Infusion d' Homme
    Terre d' Hermes
    Caron 3rd Man
    Dior Homme
    Mugler Cologne
    Burberry Brit

I wasn't even aware of "niche" frags prior to joining BN a couple of months ago and I do observe that many posters DO seem to consider that niche = higher quality than designer, despite the oft-assertions that the term simply refers to the distribution aspect.

As a newbie, I do wonder (with no offense to anyone intended, truly) if the leaning towards niche has more than a little to do with snobbery? After all, I have read somewhere on BN that one of the Creeds is a dead-ringer for the very mainstream Cool Water!
    Last edited by egrorian; 15th December 2008 at 09:57 PM.

Aramis - 900, JHL
    Chanel - Antaues, Egoiste, PM, PMC
    Dior- Eau Sauvage
    Dunhill for Men (1934)
    Givenchy - Vetiver, Monsieur
    Guerlain - Derby, Habit Rouge (edc), Vetiver
    Hermes - Equipage, Bel Ami
    Tiffany for Men
    Polo Modern Reserve
    YSL - L'Homme, Rive Gauche, YSL HC

First of all: IT'S ALL GOOD!

I saw it at Holt Renfrew in Vancouver and at Nieman Marcus in Dallas. Otherwise, I agree with you that EN is more niche than designer.

Quote Originally Posted by egrorian View Post
    ...As a newbie, I do wonder (with no offense to anyone intended, truly) if the leaning towards niche has more than a little to do with snobbery?
    I'm an equal opportunity fragrance snob, but I tend to prefer designer scents for everyday wear (although from a fragrance enthusiast's perspective, niche are often more intruiging).
    Last edited by Snafoo; 15th December 2008 at 10:17 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Terre d'Hermes
    Burberry London
    B*Men

just to name few I own if ull bottles:
    Paco Rabanne PH
    Givenchy Insensé
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    Guerlain Jicky edp
    Guerlain Coriolan
    Ungaro III

For me it's :

Baldessarini Classic
    John Varvatos
    Burberry London
    Cool Water ( )
    Last edited by Amit; 16th December 2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

If I could get some, Patou pour Homme.

A couple that haven't been mentioned yet:
    Gucci pour Homme
    Aramis Aramis
    Halston Z-14, if you ask me.
    Hermes, Dior, Guerlain, Givenchy, Caron and Chanel each have several wonderful things, and each is worth considering as a full line.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 16th December 2008 at 10:39 PM.

prada amber
    prada idh
    he wood
    z zegna extreme
    l'eau par kenzo ice

Armani Mania
    Burberry London
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Rochas Man

Are my favorites and the only frags I own. I quite like AdG actually too, but don't own (blah to that :P). And Farenheit, and Varv Vintage, are both great IMO!

I have tried MANY MANY samples of various niche but never found any that clicked... Shrug.

Dior Homme
    Eau Sauvage
    Chanel Pour Monsieur

• Aramis JHL
    • Azzaro Pour Homme
    • Boucheron Pour Homme
    • Boucheron Jaipur Homme
    • Bulgari Black
    • Caron Pour Un Homme
    • Caron The Third Man
    • Caron Parfum Sacre
    • Chanel Antaeus
    • Chanel Egoiste
    • Chanel Bois des Iles
    • Chanel Cuir de Russie
    • Dior Jules
    • Dior Fahrenheit
    • Dior Homme
    • Hermes Terre D'Hermes
    • Nino Cerruti Pour Homme

Patou - Pour Homme Privé
    Yves Saint Laurent - Kouros
    Yves Saint Laurent - Body Kouros
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    Yves Saint Laurent - Opium
    Hermès - Terre d'Hermès
    Hermès - Un Jardin sur le Nil
    Hermès - Un Jardin en Méditerranée
    Givenchy - Insensé
    Givenchy - Greenergy
    Givenchy - Xeryus
    Chanel - Pour Monsieur Concentrée
    Fendi - Uomo
    Lolita Lempicka - Au Masculin
    Gucci - Pour Homme
    Bulgari - Black
    Versace - Black Jeans
    Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    Guerlain - L'Heure Bleue
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 17th December 2008 at 07:05 AM.

YSL M7
    Dior Homme
    Guerlain Heritage
    Chanel Antaeus
    Chanel Egoiste

encre noire and helmut lang edc. they are also my only designer scents in my wardrobe.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Prada Infusion D'Homme is definitely my favorite.

Morning Star

Just naming the ones I value the most:

Ermenegildo Zegna Z Zegna Extreme
    Yves Saint Laurent Kouros
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme
    Gucci Envy For Men
    Ralph Lauren Polo Blue
    Ralph Lauren Polo Sport
    Armani Attitude
    Bulgari Blu Notte
    Bulgari Black