Code of Conduct

Default Bath and Body Works Cologne

Thoughts on the Bath and Body Works line of cologne? They seem pretty interesting.

Default Re: Bath and Body Works Cologne

Their colognes smell terrible. The initial 2 minutes is alright, but the dry down is hilariously bad.

I don't even like walking by this store.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The Oak scent is the only one the tad bit interesting..
    I had a few and sold them..
    Very poor quality

They are vague, crappy copies of popular designer fragrances.

I like their coconut lime verbena

Basenotes Member

I concur that almost everything from own brands should be avoided. Their Ocean EDT for men is one of the few exceptions; it's actually a darned good aquatic. On the other hand, they carry a lot of C.O. Bigelow items, and they are much better and a pretty good value. This includes the shave cream in the green tube for those that like to lather up with a brush, and an great unisex Lemon EDT and body wash, all of which I own and use regularly.
    Last edited by RandolphCanuck; 16th January 2014 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandolphCanuck View Post
    I concur that almost everything from own brands should be avoided. Their Ocean EDT for men is one of the few exceptions; it's actually a darned good aquatic. On the other hand, they carry a lot of C.O. Bigelow items, and they are much better and a pretty good value. This includes the shave cream in the green tube for those that like to lather up with a brush, and an great unisex Lemon EDT and body wash, all of which I own and use regularly.
    I would have to agree on the Bigelow! My friend has Elixir Blue and a lot of my girl friends compliment him on it! Otherwise it is pretty safe to assume that most of them are bad

The Elixir Black is a dead ringer for John Varvatos Original. That's the best one by far in my opinion.

I don't shop there. The stores appear garish from the outside and inspire sensory overload.

I shall forever mourn the loss of their Woodland (think 80's Obsession for Men), Cool Spring (Coolwater?), Mountain Frost (Irish Spring?) Canyon, and Pacific Bluff colognes. Sure, they were "inspired" by other colognes -- but they were quite well done with matching shower gels that were also terrific.

I used to always go in and try to stock up when they had sales, but would turn around and use the stuff up religiously. I am down to one bottle of each now and use them sparingly.

I wish I had bought more...

The stuff they have now. Ugh. Every so often I go in and try some and immediately try to get out of the store as soon as I can. Chemical stink bombs. The scents are *almost* bearable as shower gels and since I like the consistency of the gel, I do on occasion use those. The shower gel/body wash combos work well for me, but it has nothing to do with the scent...
    Last edited by atrac; 17th January 2014 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by notacologneexpert View Post
    Otherwise it is pretty safe to assume that most of them are bad
    They're worse than bad Honestly, I'm not sure how they accomplish it, but they somehow manage to make their scents smell even worse than you could possibly imagine they would.

I like it when I get their soap for free in hotels.

I recently tried C.O. Bigelow Barber, I was surprised to find that I actually liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I recently tried C.O. Bigelow Barber, I was surprised to find that I actually liked it.
    The C.O. Bigelow Elixir White is quite good, although a bit boring. But their new French Lavender and Honey, marketed toward women, is surprisingly good. But as almost all B&BW frags, longevity is short.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Forgot to mention their Dark Amber for Men is a joke: smells decent enough when sprayed on, and then I dare anybody to be able to smell it after 5 (FIVE) minutes.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Basenotes Junkie

For most of them, you're better off with dollar store/drug store imitations AFAIAC. Some have a nice initial burst, but none do anything for me after 5 minutes or so.

rick

I hate their Paris EDT

I would like to try their coconut/lime fragrance that gets compared to VIW. The Bigelow line (which I think is an off brand from them) looks interesting too, and has expanded quite a bit since I last checked.

I have tried Midnight, which came in a kind of cool blue bottle. It was an average citrus scent, the citrus came off as cheap, supposed to have a caramel note in it, but I don't remember picking up on it. Then there was Indian Vetiver.. This one a pretty good vetiver in all honesty, I wish I could have had a bottle, citrus, lots of nutmeg, reminded me of a light version of Agua Verde, with a citrusy vetiver note added to it. Most vetivers seem to follow the same path, this one was pretty unique, considering vetiver was a main note. Then at the end of last year I tried one of their citrus fragrances, it was called White Citrus. Didn't care for this at all, too similar to Curve Connect, a fragrance I can't stand. It smelled like citrus poured onto wet paper, with a heavy dose of tea and musk.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I'm a fan of the Bigelow scents as well. Elixir White is definitely bottle worthy. And I also enjoy Bigelow's Mentha line of bodywash & lotion.

As far as the regular B&BW fragrances. They're usually kinda generic. I do use their Fresh Cotton wallflowers throughout my house though & love that scent. Also, I have a friend that often wears Moonlight Path, & I swear everytime she does, I think it smells just like Le Male or Cuba Gold, lol. (it's got that lavender/vanilla/sandalwood vibe). I actually kind of like that one.
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 8th May 2014 at 12:26 AM.

I thought they were Axe-like.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I have Ocean and while it does smell nice, it's gone in 4 minutes so I never bother wearing it. I do use the hand lotion though.

I haven't purchased any of the BBW colognes - they seem a little pricey for what I consider to be a "mall" brand. Based on the observations here, it sounds like I'm not missing anything. I do use the body washes though. They match up well with some of the colognes I use. For example, Dark Amber is a dead ringer for Nautica Sunset Voyage, and Midnight matches up well with Nautica Aqua Rush. I realize that it doesn't matter all that much since the body wash fragrance pretty much washes away in the shower, but it does provide symmetry to my morning routine.

I do like the recently discontinued Oak body wash. I think that if you like a BBW fragrance, you might be well served to use the body wash, skip the EDT and slather some of the lotion on your arms or neck or something. They absorb into the skin well and probably last a lot longer than the EDT anyway. I have not actually tried doing this yet but I did pick up a bottle of the lotion with the intent of doing so.

I used to receive the body sprays as gifts all the time from members of my family (my mother was a Bath and Body works fanatic). I actually still have a tiny amount of Pacific Bluff remaining. It's practically unusable now, because it smells of pure alcohol when sprayed on skin, but to smell the bottle brings me back to 1999-2000 when I was using this fragrance heavily (when I graduated high school and started college).

Is there anything similar to Pacific Bluff? I wasn't aware that it was a knockoff of another fragrance. (Cool Spring on the other hand smelled very similar to Cool Water to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    Their colognes smell terrible.
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.