Code of Conduct

Default Art of Shaving Frags - all natural?

So, I just tried my first AOS frag, their Lemon EDT, and it is marvelous so far. It smells quite natural, and on their website (http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6...p=19&trk=group) it says in small print "100% pure essential oils" but I'm wondering if they are using that in the same way many juices at the store say "Made with 100% juice" which really means "One of the ingredients is 100% juice, but there is also extra water, sugar, and perhaps flavorings."

I find it especially suspect since they mention lily and cyclamen in the notes, both of which can not be found in essential oil or absolute form. That being said, I know that different accords can be replicated with only all natural oils - one of my creations has a 'spiced apple' note, and that is without the use of synthetics (and there are no apple oils or absolutes available to a natural perfumer.)

Anyone know, definitively, the answer? Are they all natural, or do they utilize "100% pure essential oils" alongside synthetics?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 15th December 2008 at 08:57 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Art of Shaving Frags - all natural?

Depends. How's the longevity?

I smelled and loved Lemon too but I haven't tried it on my skin yet. I assume if the longevity is crappy then it's definitely more natural than synthetic. As for 100% natural - I doubt anything is 100% natural.

Well, I don't know about the longevity yet .I just applied it for the first time 30 minutes ago and have to get to bed soon (third shift schedule, ).

I'll give it a full and proper wearing sometime this week. I'm guessing by the way they word things and never out and out say that the fragrance is composed only of natural oils and absolutes that it is in fact not all natural.

Heck, the new glade candles say "made with essential oils" in the commercial, but contain NO real oils whatsoever. People have called and asked them about it and they said, in so many words, that " The phrase 'essential oils' has no clearly defined meaning, and the oils we use [synthetic] are essential to the scent, so they are in fact essential oils." Grrr!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Hahaha, essential to the scent? Really? That's quite a spin. I'm impressed (and disgusted at the same time.)

Basenotes Institution

I doubt that their fragrances are 100% natural.

The Lemon, which coincidentally I tried for the 1st time this weekend (when I was buying a gift certificate for a friend) is very nice. Reminds me of Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma. Longevity was average.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have only tried Sandalwood. Fine quality eucalyptus and fir needle notes...can't say for sure whether they are 100% natural, but I detect nothing synthetic. Oh, but the sandalwood note..minimal, tinny, and probably synthetic.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    Depends. How's the longevity?

I smelled and loved Lemon too but I haven't tried it on my skin yet. I assume if the longevity is crappy then it's definitely more natural than synthetic. As for 100% natural - I doubt anything is 100% natural.
    I put AOS Lemon on before going to work. At lunch time I was surprised it was still there strongly, and I thought it was marvellous. Same thing when I had my afternoon coffee. But it was still there nearly as strongly when I went to catch my train on the way home, and I was getting tired of it.

An hour after I got home I was sick of this scent, and haven't worn it since.

It has longevity.

The AOS Sandalwood wasn't quite as potent, but had decent longevity on me too.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 16th December 2008 at 08:30 AM.