Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default MPG Eau des Îles

I'm wearing Eau des Îles today as my SotD, and I looked up my review of it when I posted to the SotD thread. I think that it, along with Santal Noble, Route du Vétiver (all right, this one is a little strange), Parfum d'Habit, and Ambre Précieux are among Laporte's true masterpieces.

Any other guys have favorites in the MPG line? Any further opinions on the ones I've named?

Here's my review of Eau des Îles:

A leather-chypre slant with a strange, evocative set of notes. Labdanum serves for the leather note in this, with curious companions in the heart note of coffee, frankincense and the surprising floral ylang-ylang. Myrrh in the top (it's usually a base note) with a green, but slightly anise-like tarragon for support. Galbanum in the base (usually a top note) echoes the tarragon, and patchouli and vetiver are just typical of Jean Laporte. The effect is marvelous, even enrapturing (to me, at least); it is rich, with a green undernote that both delights and astonishes, so deftly tucked into a dry woody-oriental-leather scent. Laporte at his best, it is on a par with Santal Noble and Parfum d'Habit for masculine elegance.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

— Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: MPG Eau des Îles

Few fragrances have this effect on me, and that is the more I wear this one the more my respect grows.
    Myrtle, taragon;open this fragrance with an accord that grabs your attention right now. In a short while this calms down a bit, and coffee, and ylang ylang begin to take center stage, and don't quite overpower the Myrtle, and taragon, but rather compliment them, and blend most beautifully. When the fragrance begins to
    drydown which takes quite a while, and well worth the wait, you can start to detect a faint hint of Vetiver, and Patchouli. By far one of my favorite fragrances from this great house. Perhaps a bold statement, but if one were to see the perfumer behind this fragrance named Jean Kerleo, rather than Jean Laporte it would not have surprised me in the least, it is that good. Watch this one be the next to leave us. IMHO
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Default Re: MPG Eau des Îles

Wonderful, deep and rich. My favorite from this house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only Maitre I didn't like muc was Fraiche Badiane. Besides the five you listed, I would add Iris Bleu Gris and Secret Melange to the list of true masterpieces.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Every time I hear about this scent, I'm intrigued. I think just hearing you all describe the coffee note and how it's interwoven into the structure of the scent, get's me excited to smell it.

MPG scents are like avant garde literature. You know, those books that one of these days, I will take the time to read. I approach all of them this way. Maybe they'll be a little too much (Baime), maybe they'll offend (Jardin du Nil), maybe they'll get us to take a look at a note in an entirely different way (Route du Vetiver). But they will always get my attention and hold me fascinated while I'm experiencing them.

Funny to say...I think I don't test them more recently, because I can't give them the attention they deserve when sampling. I must make some time for Eau de Iles, it seems.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th December 2008 at 02:26 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

My favorites of the MPG line are Eau des Iles, Santal Noble and Amber Precieux. These three are impeccable fragrances that are probably the best of their type. Parfum d' Habit is an amazing scent too, but it is difficult for me to recomend because it is so out of the lines and into the wild.

Eau des Iles is a true masterpiece of fragrance for Maitre Parfumer. A rich smokey scent that is so complex that it almost defies description from me. It is woody, but gourmand, and smokey. I get dazzled by it and then seduced every time I wear it. A lot has been made about reformulations of MPG scents that occurred when they changed bottle designs and possibly bottlers, but I don't think Eau des Iles has been diminished at all - possibly it was improved!

Santal Noble has changed dramatically in the new bottle design as it no longer has the deep coffee scent in the opening like the old formula had. If the coffee is there I can not find it and it is definitely much lighter. The spices, patchouli and oak moss are also much lighter in the mix. It lost some of its dirtyness and charm. But it may have gained a nobility and purity that it didn't have before. Santal Noble is still a very very good fragrance, but it is just a different fragrance - more a true, light sandalwood scent than the dark rich almost dirty sandalwood that was in the 90ml bottle. But Eau des Iles may have actually been deepened in the new formulation - they got this one absolutely spot on! Ambre Precieux smells the same in the new as the old to me. But I never used it much before the new bottle came out.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 18th December 2008 at 01:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The more I wear Eau des Iles the more I realize how much of a masterpiece it is. At first I thought this one doesn't stand a chance against Parfum d'Habit, my favorite MPG, but now after many wearings and after my nose developed a bit, I realize they're in the same league. I wear this one very rarely now, because, like Mike said, it needs full attention, and it's not just something you reach for at an ordinary day.

Reading through Jaime's and others reviews, I realize there aren't many notes that I'm familiar with, but I know that the final result is truly fantastic. I get spices, I get vetiver, and I get just a slight hint of coffee, but that's not at all what MPG Eau des Iles is about.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Post Thanks / Like

If I could keep only one of my MPGs (god forbid) this one would be it. Consistently in my top 5. I love Jean Laporte and nobody on basenotes seems to know what has become of him since he sold MPG.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 16th December 2008 at 11:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: MPG Eau des Îles

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I'm wearing Eau des Îles today as my SotD, and I looked up my review of it when I posted to the SotD thread. I think that it, along with Santal Noble, Route du Vétiver (all right, this one is a little strange), Parfum d'Habit, and Ambre Précieux are among Laporte's true masterpieces.

Any other guys have favorites in the MPG line? Any further opinions on the ones I've named?

Here's my review of Eau des Îles:

A leather-chypre slant with a strange, evocative set of notes. Labdanum serves for the leather note in this, with curious companions in the heart note of coffee, frankincense and the surprising floral ylang-ylang. Myrrh in the top (it's usually a base note) with a green, but slightly anise-like tarragon for support. Galbanum in the base (usually a top note) echoes the tarragon, and patchouli and vetiver are just typical of Jean Laporte. The effect is marvelous, even enrapturing (to me, at least); it is rich, with a green undernote that both delights and astonishes, so deftly tucked into a dry woody-oriental-leather scent. Laporte at his best, it is on a par with Santal Noble and Parfum d'Habit for masculine elegance.
    Absolutely in agreement with all JaimeB has said above.
    My favourites from MPG are PARFUM D'HABIT and EAU DES ILES, which i always buy the 500 ml recharge.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

I got inspired and am happily wearing Eau des Iles today. It is magnificent, and it has great longevity on me. I think it is a great cool-weather scent, it generates a lovely quiet heat.
    I also like Grain de Plaisir, but then I love herbal-green scents.
    I have a sample of Santal Noble and I agree that is another excellent scent. I find it to be rich but not heavy. Excellent cedar and sandalwood notes.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

I am out of my decant and I might need to re-try it, but I found it difficult to love. I detected a hint of green when first applied, but there was too much smoke, and very little florals and coffee (the note I believe is bitter coffee) notes .. interesting notes but the balance seemed a bit off.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

I like Ambre Precieux, but for me it ranks below Profumum's Fiori d'Ambra and Parfumerie Generale's L'Ombre Fauve among my favorite Ambers. I like it more than Ambre Russe, though.

The only other MPG i've tested and didn't like was Fraiche Badiane. I thought it smelled too much like a Cinthol soap we used to have here. Too realistically soapy for me, sorry... no go.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather