Code of Conduct

Question Your favorite Neil Morris fragrance, and why?

I have a hot mess of samples of Neil Morris fragrances, and I really like most, love several. I'm having a difficult time deciding which to purchase..to go off in a new direction with notes I don't usually pursue, or stick with my favorite, tried and true combinations...??
    I'd love to hear if anyone out there has a particular Neil Morris fragrance that they love, and why...??

Default Re: Your favorite Neil Morris fragrance, and why?

No comment from me because I have yet to sample even a single frag from NM, but I am very curious to hear what others have to say - I'll be ordering some samples, soon, especially of the holiday frag everyone is talking about!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    No comment from me because I have yet to sample even a single frag from NM, but I am very curious to hear what others have to say - I'll be ordering some samples, soon, especially of the holiday frag everyone is talking about!
    I think you're confusing Neil Morris with Michael Storer. Michael Storer has the fragrance Winter Star which has been generating the chatter, I think.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    I have a hot mess of samples of Neil Morris fragrances, and I really like most, love several. I'm having a difficult time deciding which to purchase..to go off in a new direction with notes I don't usually pursue, or stick with my favorite, tried and true combinations...??
    I'd love to hear if anyone out there has a particular Neil Morris fragrance that they love, and why...??
    I am a big, big fan.
    My favorite one is Gotham.
    Gotham starts with an incrediblr floral top which finally is taken over by a mix of rose and narcissus in the heart. Then the base is this incredible leather and wood that just grounds this beautifully.
    My second favorite is Gandhara.
    This is a take on a himalayan bazaar. You can smell the incense and spices and sweat all through this one. The heart also has narcissus in it but this time paired with lotus.
    My third favorite is his newest creation Neil Morris for Takashimaya New York
    This is a a japanese cherry blossom festival in a bottle. The top fizzes with aldehydes before the fruit in the heart comes riding in and then a mix of cedar and other woods bring this home in the base.
    The next two that I will probably buy bottles of are Burnt Amber and Cathedral as amber and incense are two of my favorite notes and Neil's take on each is quite special on me.
    I'm glad you've enjoyed the samples you've tried so far and I can't wait to hear which one you like best.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I haven't tried any but Gotham sounds DEE-LISH!

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    No comment from me because I have yet to sample even a single frag from NM
    Seriously?? I will send you some candied pecans with a sample of one of my favorites.

I keep saying that I really like Woodland Strawberries, but I ended up purchasing a bottle of Prowl. And I am not really quite sure why I did that, except that Prowl is probably the first scent that has patchouli that I just really really liked for some reason. It probably has to do with the vanilla in it. But anyway, those are my two favorite scents of his, both of which are a little on the foody side.

And surprisingly, neither of them did I anticipate I would like. But I can say that about *ALL* of my current favorite scents. In fact, my current favorite scents, I was pretty much poised to hate when I first tried them. Maybe that's why I like them so much, because they rearranged the way I thought.

Woodland Strawberries I thought would be a fruity floral or something. It's not. I think I read in older forum posts that Woodland Strawberries has several different versions, some fruitier than others. The earlier versions were named "Gala." I'm not sure which version I have. I'm guessing it's the latest version, which isn't really fruity to me, so much as sandalwoody. And I love sandalwood, almost as much as I love vanilla. Woodland Strawberries has much woods, including cedar as well as the sandalwood. It does have some strawberry, but it's not particularly Jolly Rancher strawberry or anything. At least not this version. I'm guessing earlier versions may be more fruity, from what I read in older posts about Gala.

Prowl. Vanilla, patchouli, and flowers. Some say there's tea in here. I guess I can smell some tea. But I mostly get flowers, like jasmine. I think both Nukapai and SMM mentioned in another thread that there is some similarity to Rumba, which I have a sample of and *STILL* haven't compared with it. I should do that tomorrow, eh?
    Last edited by Aiona; 16th December 2008 at 02:54 AM. Reason: getting back on topic and removing some of the run-on sentences but not all because there are just too many

Blog Entries

I only really loved Taj well enough to buy it, but it faded on me too fast. It only lasted about an hour. I love the spicey/boozey quality. It almost feels like fermented cider. Swoon was good but also just too weak. And it felt as if I had smelled those notes together before. Not very unique and too sweet for me. I think Frapin 1270 does it better and it has more sillage.
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th December 2008 at 02:57 AM.

Morning Star

I've tried about 10 of Neil's fragrances.
    My favorite is probably Dark Season, followed by Midnight Sea.

I think you're confusing Neil Morris with Michael Storer. Michael Storer has the fragrance Winter Star which has been generating the chatter, I think.
    The numbers man is correct. I was confused. It happens a lot.

Seriously?? I will send you some candied pecans with a sample of one of my favorites.
    I haven't tried any NM OR any MS frags. Will happily and gratefully accept samples and candies, but let me get your samples to you first!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

From my perfume.txt file:

1st class:
    Neil Morris - Drifting - Smells like strawberries too (or maybe lilies) and I love it.
    Neil Morris - Zephyr - reminds me of strawberries, but maybe I'm confounding it with lilies. I really enjoy it and great sillage.

2nd class:
    Neil Morris - Clear - like it as much as Intimate Lily and great when worn on the neck. Makes me feel confident about it in public too despite being flowery.
    Neil Morris - Flowers for Men - Gardenia - Similar to Clear & Intimate Lily, fresh and feminine.
    Neil Morris - Intimate Lily - Love the lily smell, very flowery and feminine but I would still wear it anywhere.

4th (not 3rd) class
    Neil Morris - Intimate Vanilla - I don't love this vanilla, but it lasts long and is still pleasant overall.
    Neil Morris - Rainflower - smells like wet lilacs. It's really good and I love it on myself, but not as fresh in public as intimate lily and clear. Average duration.

Love all of the suggestions and lists of favorites. Now I need to go back and re-sniff & re-evaluate--Fun!! (I see a purchase in the not too distant future!! ^_^)