Code of Conduct

Default Fahrenheit 32: Initial Impressions

I must admit that, for whatever reason, I suddenly found myself smitten with this scent. I must also admit that I was smitten despite never having smelled it. Y'know how it goes - for some reason you latch onto a scent: the notes sound right, the bottle is nice, the ad copy clicks with you.. whatever the case.

And so I arranged to get a sample from a fellow basenoter. While awaiting the sample's arrival I almost caved and blind bought the scent during an online one day sale of 20% off, but I decided to be responsible as I don't realistically have the money to splurge on more than one scent before christmas with everything else (namely musical instrument related things) I want/need to get.

"Enough about you already! How does it smell?!" Fair enough, onto the scent!

Fahrenheit 32 opens quite sweet and fruity. Yes, like some others I pick up a hint of a watermelon note but it is smooth and well integrated alongside a strong dose of "vanilla" and a subtle orange blossom note. I put vanilla in quotes because it's not warm and smooth like vanilla absolute but instead a colder interpretation of it that smells more like the odor profile of tonka bean or perhaps pure coumarin, but still has the 'thickness' of vanilla.

At first it seems too sweet, but this settles down within 10 minutes. The orange blossom note becomes a bit more noticeable, but it's been scrubbed clean of any dirty or woody qualities, which is rather unlike the orange blossom note in Fleur du Male which is not particularly dirty but quite woody and with hints of the earth present. Yes, it's been scrubbed clean, scrubbed until the poor note's skin began to chafe and it stopped whining and reluctantly accepted its minor role in this composition. Bummer. And yet, I'm not sure if it is the chemicals responsible for this note or - more likely the chemicals responsible for the "clean vanilla" note in the base - but despite being sweet and thick there is somehow a very sharp edge to the aroma. It's all rather offputting to me, it brings to mind images of a child snuggling a newly acquired teddy bear only to find that it's not been filled with stuffing but instead with razor blades. Graphic? Well, yes, but this sharpness is extremely.. well, sharp! and it's grating to the nostrils and most of all it just causes cognitive dissonance as you ponder how such a thick and sweet accord can be so painfully sharp.

The orange blossom becomes a bit more detectable in the heartnotes as the watermelon fades and the sharpness dies down a bit. Yet, it's presence is all too short as it is soon swallowed up by an ultra "clean" fresh laundry/generic fabric softener note. Perhaps that is the "solar note" that is listed in the base in some pyramids. Well, I don't know about solar.. perhaps someone in marketing was assigned the task of coming up with a charming name for this detergent like note, stumbled across this picture
    , and had the witty idea to call it a solar note.

The scent does strike me as being cold. Cold and sharp like a scalpel. Cold, like a distant future where everything is mechanical and all traces of organic things have been relegated to piles and piles of bits and bytes on a harddrive somewhere. The ideal scent for Patrick Bateman, the main character in "American Psycho," as a cursory sniff - and perhaps the sillage that would reach others' noses - appears to be warm and clean and even comforting, while getting close enough to examine the scent for what it truly is reveals its cold and calculated inorganic precision.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 16th December 2008 at 05:00 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Fahrenheit 32: Initial Impressions

i actually like this scent quite a bit...it's a unique combination of florals, earthy notes and Vanilla....kinda shape shifting in its approach....

I do intend to give this one another wearing but I don't foresee my opinion changing much. Perhaps it's just a certain portion of the population who is sensitive to one of the aroma chemicals present as I've seen others describe it as quite synthetic and sharp as well, and someone even said it reminded them of some kind of industrial strength cleaner.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

well, we all know wht FdM is being often compared to? (vomit)..... i wudnt care much about wht others have to say before i sample it myself and wht my opinion is....and yes...everyones tastes vary...and i totally respect yours... thnx for the review buddy!

I really wanted to love this one. One thing I can say is that it is interesting and although I fear I'll just be disappointed all over again, I do look forward to giving it a second chance.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I got some sort of sweet, slightly floral, vanilla sun-tan lotion vibe from it. It is very synthetic though, and I think it would be irritating in summer. I actually enjoyed it the two times I've sampled it, however I think the appeal would wear off long before finishing even 1/3 of a 50ml bottle of the stuff. I still have a love-hate affair with Fleurd du Male, and can't bring myself to buy a bottle, yet.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I'm still mighty pissed of about the staining of the classic "Fahrenheit" name with this underwhelming lolly water :|

I really enjoy Fahrenheit 32. Not a fan of the original Fahrenheit. Don't really see the connection other than the shape of the bottle- While we're on it...Shouldn't the lettering on the bottle be blue instead of red? I digress. I hate to distill my interpretation down to this but, this frag very pleasantly reminds me of Creamsicle. It is certainly more complex and interesting than an orange milkshake on a stick. I agree that there is an American Psycho quality to it but I think it is softened by the simple, smooth and comforting dreaminess of nostalgia.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I think I'll re-wear this and give it a full proper wearing (fans of F32 how many sprays do you recommend?)

I just put a small dab on my arm and am resniffing and finding it to be more enjoyable than before, with the orange blossom more noticeable. The sharpness doesn't seem to be as present but I don't have any on my upper chest or neck like I did before. When I get really close and sniff it's still quite sharp and seems to "clog the nostrils" with its scent, but from a distance it's pleasant. I've got a drop of real orange blossom absolute on the other arm , something I haven't sniffed in isolation on my skin in some time (haven't been working on any frags that utilize it as of late) and am shocked to realize how similar they smell (about 5 minutes after application) to be honest. Come to think of it, the sharp notes are quite possibly the indoles from the orange blossom coming through. Yes, the orange blossom in F32 is still cleaner, sweeter, 'colder', and less woody than the actual absolute, but it's much more noticeable to me now that I'm not honing on the vanilla aspect.

I definitely think that I had some of it too close to my nose on the inital wearing which can cause nose fatigue but also - at least with me - can lead to a situation where a certain chemical just bombards my nose and becomes extremely unpleasant and ruins the rest of the scent for me. For instance, I would never imagine spraying Terre d'Hermes on my neck as the iso e super becomes piercing when I get a constant whiff of it and it just ruins my ability to appreciate the scent whatsoever.

Anyways, this is why I never base my buying decisions off of initial impressions! I'll post further thoughts as soon as I test it again.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I like my F-32 though I rarely find the right day to wear it. To be clear - it has nothing to do with the original at all. I love vanilla, and F-32 is a combo of vanilla, orange blossom and mint. It's a touch sweet and you don't need many sprays at all.

However, it's nowhere near as bold and classic as the original Fahrenheit, which I enjoy immensely.

I like this scent, but would have a hard time finding an occasion to wear it...

Didn't Luca Turin describe this one as 'the scent of a gloomy day somewhere really hot'? Does anyone agree with this?

Basenotes Institution

This is one of the few scents, I almost got nauseous wearing. I found the opening very cold, almost like frozen noxious chemicals, mixed with an extremely strong orange flower note and then a watery/aquatic note (which is the one that started the nausea).

I can't imagine being courageous enought to sample it again.

On the other hand, I love the original Fahrenheit and I love orange blossom scents. But F32 just smelled like a combo of disparate things, that I don't want to smell together in one scent.

As SoS's story proves, this is NOT a safe blind buy.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th December 2008 at 08:02 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Didn't Luca Turin describe this one as 'the scent of a gloomy day somewhere really hot'? Does anyone agree with this?
    I'd be interested in hearing his review of this one. It doesn't seem like something he'd like or appreciate.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Morning Star

With the possible exception of Eau Sauvage, I consider Fahrenheit 32 to be one of the best male fragrances to come out of the house of Christian Dior. I don't even think Dior Homme (which I like very much) can equal it. I don't usually like vanilla that much, but this scent's chilly, synthetic bitterness is absolutely intoxicating.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I don't usually like vanilla that much, but this scent's chilly, synthetic bitterness is absolutely intoxicating.
    It's a very accurate description of this scent - just I don't like scents whith so opposite sides mixed in one - say bitter and sweet. Perhaps that's why I don't like chinese food - sweet-sour soup and the likes.

I put a few dabs on as I went to lay down this afternoon. Once again this sharp note dominated and truly seemed to "clog my nostrils" in such a way that I knew there was much more to the scent that I simply wasn't able to detect because of it. If you grab your nose between thumb and forefinger and squeeze, the sensation was something similar to that.

This was irritating, but I lay there, still trying to analyze the scent, occasionally bringing a wrist which I also dabbed to my nose and getting brief traces of the rest of the scent. What I could smell was enjoyable, but that piercing sensation was ruining it, just as it had done the first time. Then, the oddest thing happened. It was 30, maybe 40 minutes after I had applied it, and I was contemplating getting up and showering since the smell was, while not giving me a headache, aggravating all the same. But then, just like that, the piercing sensation was gone and replaced with an almost euphoric sensation. I don't know if the euphoria was my bodies response to the sudden disappearance of this aggravator, if it was just exhaustion induced, or what, but it was nice and what I could now smell clearly was also quite nice.

After that I quickly fell asleep so I didn't get to analyze the scent as much as I wanted. So, in a little bit here I'm going to try it on again, being careful to keep it far from my nose to hopefully avoid that piercing sensation.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I'm going to update this with some more comprehensive thoughts in a bit, but I must say that giving it a full and proper wearing (1 light misted spray to each forearm, two sprays to the lower chest) has given me a different impression of it. Most noticeably is that 2 hours after application I keep getting whiffs of Fahrenheit.. the original Fahrenheit. Yes, there is definitely a strong connection between this and the original, but it's not apparent for the first few hours at all. Granted, this is a lighter interpretation of Fahrenheit, and comparatively 'colder', but it definitely shares the 'Fahrenheit DNA'.

Do others that own the scent or have tested it multiple times also find the similarities to the original in the drydown? I don't notice it so much when sniffing up close but i'm getting such strong whiffs of Fahrenheit in the sillage.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 17th December 2008 at 07:37 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing his review of this one. It doesn't seem like something he'd like or appreciate.
    He liked it, he gave it 4 stars.

* * * * milky vanilla
    This fragrance is at once wholly unpretentious and completely successful, striking a wonderful equilibrium between tropical warmth and minty coolness. It has the muted, cozy feeling of a gloomy day somewhere really hot, with that strange, cheerfully doom-laden TV-documentary look you get by using a gradient filter that makes the sky look darker that in should. LT
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th December 2008 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks for posting that Mike. I'm surprised he rated it 4 stars when he gave the original only 2 stars, although I'm guessing that low score is because of the reformulation?

Well, despite giving it a full wearing I still don't know what ot think of this scent. I wanted to write more, and I will, but I think I'll wait until after my next wearing. There are moments where I felt the scent was ingenious and then others where I felt the composition to just be too schizophrenic.

I think my nose/body is getting acquainted with the aldehyde or whatever it is that is giving that piercing sensation, with each wearing it's gotten more tolerable, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm trying too hard to 'get' this. It feels like it shouldn't be this hard. And yet, many things, be it movies, perfume, or music that I now love I originally didn't like or struggled to enjoy, and so I perservere. And especially in perfume, many that I immediately loved I later grew apathetic towards.

Can someone who owns the scent and might be willing to part with a small quantity please PM me? We'll work something out. Thanks!

edit: Another question. Do those who own and enjoy the scent find it to be more of a winter or summer scent? Normally that's a pretty clear division in my mind, but here it's not. It's not so warm and comforting like most winter oriented scents, and yet it's heavy and thick enough that I wonder if it would fare well in the summer. When do you feel it shines the most?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 17th December 2008 at 01:48 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I agree with Mike on this one. I've tried it twice, neither time what I'd consider a proper full wearing, though, and just didn't like it.

To me the original elements and the new elements simply did not get along.

noggs