Code of Conduct

Default Tiffany's for Men: Have I missed something?

I look around here on BN, on eBay, and other places and I read "hard to find", "exclusive", "discontinued". Yet, at Tiffany's website, they have both sizes available. I even called the store and they also confirmed full availability. Have I missed something? Why does everyone seem to think this is so hard to find when they can buy it for the real price of $50 instead of $120, fresh off the shelf?

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 11th December 2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Typos
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Default Re: Tiffany's for Men: Have I missed something?

I never understood it either. It's in stock here in Chicago too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I look around here on BN, on eBay, and other places and I read "hard to find", "exclusive", "discountinued". Yet, either at the Tiffany's website, they have both available. I even called the store and they also confirmed full availability. Have I missed something? Why does everyone seem to think this is so hard to find when they can buy it for the real price of $50 instead of $120, fresh off the shelf?

TNMA
    sounds like yet another case of simple overhype!

When I first discovered the existence of this fragrance a year ago, I almost succumbed to the false advertising on eBay that Tiffany for Men was "discontinued" and "hard-to-find."

Luckily, my fellow bn'ers alerted me of these lies and I, too, found it readily available from the Tiffany website and in the stores.

People on eBay just trying to make a quick buck!

Once you start looking around for less than mainstream designer bottles on ebay one thing you'll notice right away is that damn near everything you like is either rare as rare can be or flat out discontinued. I see Yatagan as rare all the time, 3rd Man is down to a few bottles in some guy's basement in New Jersey, Ungaro II salvaged from a UFO crash, hurry, last one left!!

When I'm bored enough I email these sellers and send as many examples of their rare or discontinued items as I can turn up. Bored with spare time and I'll put the seller on some mailing lists just to make sure they can keep up with what's going on out here in the real world.

LOL, awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    Once you start looking around for less than mainstream designer bottles on ebay one thing you'll notice right away is that damn near everything you like is either rare as rare can be or flat out discontinued. I see Yatagan as rare all the time, 3rd Man is down to a few bottles in some guy's basement in New Jersey, Ungaro II salvaged from a UFO crash, hurry, last one left!!

When I'm bored enough I email these sellers and send as many examples of their rare or discontinued items as I can turn up. Bored with spare time and I'll put the seller on some mailing lists just to make sure they can keep up with what's going on out here in the real world.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 11th December 2008 at 05:34 AM.

Don't bother with Tiffany for Men EDT - I own it and have never had one positive comment on it.

But I also own Tiffany for Men Aftershave Balm. It is one of the most pleasant balms I've ever put on, and came in a glass bottle almost the same as the EDTs with a pump attachment. And, for reasons unknown to me - I've had heaps of positive comments whenever I've solely put it on - of the "Hmmmm - what's that you're wearing" variety.

I don't understand it.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 11th December 2008 at 09:44 AM.

i tested it on my hand once and found it not special at all, it tried to like it but could not

It's a classic and definitely one of Jacque Polge's best - and at $50/$75 for the 1.7/3.4 a pretty good deal.

I agree this is the case of some online merchants wanting to take advantage of the fact that it's not as widely available (but still easy to obtain) as it once was.

Sur la Plage

I think it is fantastic and I get many positive comments on it. I guess it all depends on who is wearing it.....

I got mine from a gracious BNer. So keep an eye out on the Sales Board.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th December 2008 at 03:51 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Mr. Nagle said it in The Strategy and Tactics of Pricing. It is called "inventory effect", rare merchandise is more valued than ready available ones. Thus "discontinued" would be the juju word that makes uninformed customers pay overprices.

Regarding Tiffany: Classic, yes. Prefered, no. Would buy again, no.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think it is fantastic and I get many positive comments on it. I guess it all depends on who is wearing it.....

Maybe it is an age factor I am 34 years old I felt I was too young to wear it

it just did not feel right I don't know

Would someone please post a link to the Tiffany website?? Thanks much.
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

Quote Originally Posted by mi-hooked? View Post
    Would someone please post a link to the Tiffany website?? Thanks much.
    here you go

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item...+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Don't bother with Tiffany for Men EDT - I own it and have never had one positive comment on it.
    I don't understand it.
    Renato
    Please try Tiffany for yourself.... I would say that this quote is the minority opinion. TFM is one of the greatest men's classics ever made. It took me a couple wears to appreciate it's genius, and now that I have I'd put it in my top-5. Also, more than almost any other fragrance the top/heart/base are bold, distinct stages with subtle transitions connecting them. It's pretty amazing to have a strong citrus oil opening that becomes such a rich sandalwood. It lasts forever with some great sillage. It's by Polge, so it's definitely got a Chanel feel to it.

And I've seen that eBay auction with the bogus 'discontinued' claims. Only the bath products are no longer available (except the after shave, which is part of a gift set). I actually got a bottle of TFM SPF8 moisturizer on eBay a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Please try Tiffany for yourself.... I would say that this quote is the minority opinion. TFM is one of the greatest men's classics ever made. It took me a couple wears to appreciate it's genius, and now that I have I'd put it in my top-5. Also, more than almost any other fragrance the top/heart/base are bold, distinct stages with subtle transitions connecting them. It's pretty amazing to have a strong citrus oil opening that becomes such a rich sandalwood. It lasts forever with some great sillage. It's by Polge, so it's definitely got a Chanel feel to it.

And I've seen that eBay auction with the bogus 'discontinued' claims. Only the bath products are no longer available (except the after shave, which is part of a gift set). I actually got a bottle of TFM SPF8 moisturizer on eBay a while back.
    It is pretty pointless quoting me, and then editing the quote such that it appears I said something which I plainly did not say - namely, that I did not understand Tiffany for Men, whereas what I had actually stated was that I did not understand why the Aftershave balm version should be such a bigger hit than the EDT.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 11th December 2008 at 03:33 PM.

It is pretty pointless quoting me, and then editing the quote such that it appears I said something which I plainly did not say - namely, that I did not understand Tiffany for Men, whereas what I had actually stated was that I did not understand why the Aftershave balm version should be such a bigger hit than the EDT.
    Renato
    Hey Renato - if you actually read what I wrote, you'd see my response had nothing to do with what you did and did not understand.

I was quoting for the purpose of brevity and only intended to quote the first paragraph of your first post, which was the language I actually responded to.

Please, try to look at things in perspective and in their entirety. Specifically, I was describing my view of TFM and not your opinion on it. Therefore your thoughts on the after shave balm - or whatever - were not relevant to what I said.

Furthermore, it's pretty 'pointless' of you to tell someone you don't know to "not bother" trying something because you don't get complements on it. Maybe you don't get complements for reasons having nothing to do with wearing TFM. Relax.

The concentree version has not been made in years.
    Very elegant and classy fragrance.

Agree 100%

I prefer it to any of Chanel's offerings. As a matter of fact, it's my favorite Polge scent... (although I haven't tried Ungaro 1)

Post Re: Tiffany's for Men: Have I missed something?

Perhaps you are missing something, or perhaps your not. Personally if they took the name Tiffany off the bottle, and put Chanels name on it everybody would be singing it's praises. Personally I find it to be one of the top 10 fragrances ever created. It's never wrong, and it's never out of place. I kind of like the fact you have to search a little to find it. For me it was worth the search. You have to decide that for yourself.IMHO
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Does Tiffany give out samples?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    When I went to Tiffanys they did not give out any

I just sprayed some on my hand

Isn't this very close to Chanel PM?

Hey Renato - if you actually read what I wrote, you'd see my response had nothing to do with what you did and did not understand.

I was quoting for the purpose of brevity and only intended to quote the first paragraph of your first post, which was the language I actually responded to.

Please, try to look at things in perspective and in their entirety. Specifically, I was describing my view of TFM and not your opinion on it. Therefore your thoughts on the after shave balm - or whatever - were not relevant to what I said.

Furthermore, it's pretty 'pointless' of you to tell someone you don't know to "not bother" trying something because you don't get complements on it. Maybe you don't get complements for reasons having nothing to do with wearing TFM. Relax.
    Again - I was plainly and unambiguously misrepresented by what was quoted. Had I wanted to express that view, I would have done so - but I didn't, because that is not my view. My reading of your subsequent opinions on Tiffany for Men - which did not address the modified quotation - does nothing to change that.

And again - in your response above, you state that I specifically told someone not to try something - which again is something I did not do. If anything, what I wrote could be viewed as an implication to try before buying.

I recollect that one of my former work colleagues owned three bottles of Tiffany aftershave balm, but didn't own the EDT - yet he owned dozens of other EDTs. My observation with respect to the efficacy of the two versions is just that - an observation that I found remarkable - so I remarked on it.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by richard d View Post
    Isn't this very close to Chanel PM?

My thoughts, exactly. I can't recall if it was Ungaro II or III that was also remarkably similar to CPM. I swapped them all off and kept the Chanel and raised a toast to Mr Polges for pulling a fast one not once, but twice.

Contrary to popular belief, the perfumer behind Ungaro Pour L'Homme I is not Jacques Polge; it is François Demachy, who is also the creator of Ungaro Pour L'Homme III and more than likely collaborated with Polge on Ungaro Pour L'Homme II.

For over two decades he has been
    Polge's protégé, and they have collaborated on many fragrances. In fact, during the Ungaro Pour L'Homme years, 1991-1993, they collaborated on the reorchestration of Bourjois' Soir de Paris (1992), originally created by legendary Chanel perfumer Ernest Beaux in 1928.

If you're ready for a shock, a number of French websites and other sources list him as the creator of Antaeus, Égoïste, and Coco. At the very least, it seems that Demachy is as much responsible for these fragrances as is Polge.

See the following mini bio:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...ted_quote.html

French websites that list his creations:

http://www.auparfum.com/?+-Francois-Demachy-+

http://www.museudelperfum.net/?q=en/...rence&id=90181

It seems that Demachy has been content to stay in the background while the attributions and accolades for Chanel's creations have gone Polge's way, and probably in most cases, though not all, deservedly so.

Of course, now that he is the "super artistic director" for olfactory development at LVMH, his profile is much more salient. He is the perfumer behind Dior Homme Cologne, which is, in its own way, as good as Dior Homme EDT, if not better, and infinitely superior to the tawdry EDP version. He is also the perfumer behind Farenheit 32 and Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir, and most recently (2009) Fahrenheit Absolute. He trained with legendary perfumer Henri Robert (creator of Chanel Pour Monsieur, Chanel No. 19, and Chanel Cristalle) and is my current perfumer of interest. I am currently sampling his creations for Bourjois (owned by Chanel). Bourjois Masculin Equateur created 1993 is clearly a variation on the theme of Ungaro Pour L'Homme III; it's more transparent, more citrusy and more geranium rosey than Ungaro Pour L'Homme III and a superb fragrance in its own right. He is a master perfumer if there ever was one.

Back on topic, I agree totally with Ron199 that Tiffany for Men is one of the ten most perfect fragrances created, and, at least in my mind, Polge's most perfect creation. Incidentally, Demachy is the perfumer behind Tiffany for Women. Tiffany for Men was up until recently widely available in all Tiffany retail establishments. I believe it can only be ordered on line these days and might only be available in a
    few select Tiffany stores. If someone knows more, perhaps they could help us out here. It has recently been reorchestrated, probably with the IFRA recommendations in mind. I find the reorchestration very close to the original with the citrusy opening a little less elegant than the original formulation but with little difference otherwise. The chypre base seems to have survived intact.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 6th December 2009 at 03:13 AM.

exactly the kind of posts that was missing for a long time now! Thanx for the mind bending insight Scentemental. and yes, i did notice your sotd posts and was intrigued by it (Bourjois) too. i must admit, i ran a bit of search on who stocks them as well .
    now that i know it's creator is none other than the nose behind such classics as UI, II and III...i'm even more fascinated!

I like and admire your boundless interest and curiosity Jenson.

I have found that following the "perfumer" trail yields some interesting discoveries.

scentemental

Interesting statement from Monsieur Demachy:

"The idea at Dior for instance is to elevate the perfume house to the level of luxury that it reached in couture. Currently certain juices on the market do not amount to more than 5 % of the factory price. Nothing of the sort with us! If one of our female customers is to buy a 70 Euros perfume, she should get a fair value out of it. But Dior is only the visible part of the iceberg."

I disagree that Dior Homme Cologne is superior to the EdT. Dior should've stopped at the EdT and left it alone.

Back to the main point, I seem to recall walking into Tiffany past that godawful line of sad males waiting to buy their gfs/wives some overpriced jewelry and spritzing some TfM on. I recall it to be citrusy and mossy. Again, I need to score a sample of this to make a proper judgement.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Thanks to Scentemental for the perfumer's opinion.

Renato, I'm not sure how you can claim you someone wouldn't think you told the thread author not to try TFM when you said the following: "Don't bother with Tiffany for Men EDT - I own it and have never had one positive comment on it. "

If you were trying to say "you only need to try the after shave", then it was a tortured use of the English language as the normal interpretation of "don't bother with" is "don't bother trying". You could have clarified by saying "the after shave is so good you don't need to try the EdT". Don't jump on me for responding to the clear and obvious interpretation of your language. You could write more clearly instead of expecting people to know what you meant.

Also, as I point out again, I didn't even respond to what you wrote, but rather used it as a jumping off point for me to discuss TFM. The fact you'd even bother responding that I misinterpreted your (completely difficult to understand) post when I wasn't actually responding to is indicative of.... well, I don't need to say it. Maybe a dingo ate one of your family members so you're having a bad day, I don't know, but just try to relax and don't get your panties all in a bunch because you were misquoted in a meaningless context.

Tiffany a few years back pulled the fragrance from all upscale department stores to make only exclusive to Tiffany stores. This allowed tighter controls on the fragrances distribution therefore not making it fall into the hands of the gray markets.

I must admit it is a good job for it is hard to find at discount - leads to the prestige of the fragrance line. Cartier also does a good job of this with their fragrances - also

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Tiffany a few years back pulled the fragrance from all upscale department stores to make only exclusive to Tiffany stores. This allowed tighter controls on the fragrances distribution therefore not making it fall into the hands of the gray markets.

I must admit it is a good job for it is hard to find at discount - leads to the prestige of the fragrance line. Cartier also does a good job of this with their fragrances - also
    Tiffany fragrances are owned by the Wertheimer family who also own Chanel. They do keep an iron fist and a sharp eye on their range.
    Cartier, on the other hand, is widely available discounted.
    PS: Does Tiffany for Men really make any money? I think it should be rolled out, at least to Sephora.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th December 2008 at 03:04 AM.

Blog Entries

I was in a new Tiffany store that opened up recently in the midwestern US. They had 4 fragrances available: Tiffany for Men, Tiffany for Men Sport Cologne, Tiffany (women's), and Pure Tiffany (a more modern women's). They also had samples, which one lady asked for and received. I asked for some, but the sales associate forgot to put them in our bag. But it doesn't matter. My sampling was all I needed.

I'll cut to the chase. My Christmas list has two things on it. An Hermessence sampler and Tiffany for Men. TFM is certainly one of the most impressive things I've smelled so far in my short journey into perfume.

I have a languishing blog draft of my visit with some luscious bottle pics and the forever beautiful Audrey Hepburn. I think I'll put it up tonight!

PS - Thanks for the fascinating history, scentemental. I'm even more impressed by this scent now.

On the topic of discount availability - the only place I know with any left is beautyencounter, which had 7.5ml minis as of last week. Although not available outside Tiffanys stores and website, $50 for a fragrance of this quality is quite the deal. If you threw the juice in a niche bottle it would fetch much, much more.

This is a wonderful, rich and complex scent; it's formal and masculine. One of my favorites.

Yes, one of the best "gentlemen" scents ever. The price is right and the blue packaging is ace.

Renato ...
    Seeing you don't like TFM , I am willing to buy it should you ever wish to part with it .
    cheers

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

With regard to the close connection with Chanel PM.... they are definitely closely related. While PM is a work of art in its own right, its wearability suffers because of its pour longevity - 3 hours on me - and by the time it progresses to the base it's almost undetectable. TFM corrects this by being much longer lasting and stronger throughout its development. The sandalwood TFM base is my favorite sandalwood of all time.

I've told this story before, but I'll repeat it here. I was wearing TFM when I checked into a hotel, and the clerk starting crying and had to excuse herself. Apparently her late grandfather wore TFM and the smell triggered the association. That's a pretty intense emotional connection! (and I got a comp upgrade to a suite at the W hotel because of it)

The fact you'd even bother responding that I misinterpreted your (completely difficult to understand) post when I wasn't actually responding to is indicative of.... well, I don't need to say it. Maybe a dingo ate one of your family members so you're having a bad day, I don't know, but just try to relax and don't get your panties all in a bunch because you were misquoted in a meaningless context.
    Whether you misinterpreted my post is irrelevant. Whether you didn't actually respond to the modified post is irrelevant.

My point of strong objection - which I have posted twice - is that you changed my post such that it meant something totally different from that which I originally I wrote.

And twice you have responded with red herrings that don't address that issue, whereas a simple - "I've now rectified it" or a "I'll endeavour not to do it again" would have sufficed.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Renato ...
    Seeing you don't like TFM , I am willing to buy it should you ever wish to part with it .
    cheers
    I didn't say that I didn't like it, just that no one else seems particularly taken with it - ranging from zilch reaction to being told that it wasn't very good.

I paid A$80 for a big bottle of it because I actually liked it, but had already bought two bottles of the aftershave balm very cheaply at Myers when they were getting rid of them. I did notice at the time that the EDT was a bit sharper and not quite the same as the balm. But subsequent reactions and non reactions to the two when worn separately did surprise me (because I have two bottles of balm, I tended to use it more often by itself than I would my other balms).

Have you tested it yet? I last saw it in Melbourne at the Collins St and at the Casino's Tiffany stores.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 12th December 2008 at 11:16 AM.

Just picked up a bottle (100ml) at Tiffany's. It's as great as I remember it being (probably about 10 years since I owned a bottle.) I received a sample a year ago and the liquid was off. The color was a dark amber/gold color. The color should be a very light yellow - as seen on their website. Since this hasn't been available in normal channels for awhile - the samples are old. If you are planning on testing this make sure you get a fresh sample or better yet get to a Tiffany's to use a tester.

Smile Re: Tiffany's for Men: Have I missed something?

I've told this story before, but I'll repeat it here. I was wearing TFM when I checked into a hotel, and the clerk starting crying and had to excuse herself. Apparently her late grandfather wore TFM and the smell triggered the association. That's a pretty intense emotional connection! (and I got a comp upgrade to a suite at the W hotel because of it)
    That is an intense situation and connection. First time I heard you mention this incident and nice to read. Hope the clerk was Ok after. I can definetley understand why she would be emotional.

TFM is almost impossible to find here in the normal retail stores in Singapore. And I don't want to step into a Tiffany store- there is one here.

I did manage to see a bottle of TFM sports cologne in one of the shops. Is this almost as good as TFM? Should I get it? The box of the cologne is without the plastic wrapper and I'm sure this bottle has been taken out and tested before. It's kinda cheap though.

As far as I know Tiffany isn't available in any retail stores other then Tiffany Stores or their website. I have no experience with the Sport, but TFM is worth checking out. At the the Tiffany store I went to they had both testers just sitting out.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

It has recently been reorchestrated, probably with the IFRA recommendations in mind. I find the reorchestration very close to the original with the citrusy opening a little less elegant than the original formulation but with little difference otherwise. The chypre base seems to have survived intact.

scentemental
    I'm glad to hear that the juice has survived mostly intact. Out of curiosity, would there be any telltale signs on the bottle or packaging that would alert us as to whether the juice is vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    This past summer i e-mailed Tiffanys, asking for a sample of TFM. I stated i liked to try before i buy. About a month later i not only received a sample of TFM, but one of TFM Sport as well. Both were 4 ml (pour) glass vials with a screw cap.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I'm glad to hear that the juice has survived mostly intact. Out of curiosity, would there be any telltale signs on the bottle or packaging that would alert us as to whether the juice is vintage?

You can be sure that if the box has a list of IFRA restricted aromachemicals on it, you've got the reformulation. I would like to stress again that there really isn't that much difference between the original and the reformulated juice.

scentemental

Well, it seems that my suspicions of false advertising was correct. I also need to get a sample of this the next time I'm near there as well!

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I noticed on the website that Tiffany for Men is listed as a "cologne." Did there used to be an EDT? Or is the current version in fact an EDT?

EDIT: Nevermind, answer is in the thread
    Last edited by Aaron01; 16th December 2008 at 06:25 AM.

My point of strong objection - which I have posted twice - is that you changed my post such that it meant something totally different from that which I originally I wrote.

And twice you have responded with red herrings that don't address that issue, whereas a simple - "I've now rectified it" or a "I'll endeavour not to do it again" would have sufficed.
    Renato
    How is this for responding directly. I edited your post for brevity, and owe you no apology. I did not change the meaning of what you wrote because what you wrote was unclear. In fact, my edited version of your post is one interpretation of your unedited language. I have described why I interpreted your language as such. Furthermore, if you continue to write in the unclear and confused manner of your first post it will probably happen again.

And I have not responding to 'red herrings', you have chosen to not understand what I wrote. I will be more clear:

Even if I had 'changed the meaning' of your post (I did not), it is totally irrelevant because I never actually responded to this alleged 'new meaning' in any way. Only if I misquoted you as though you said something you didn't (I did not) and then used this 'new meaning' in some sort of discussion (I did not) would you have a basis for being upset. Of course the fact you'd bother caring that someone on a message board might think you told someone not to try a fragrance when in fact you told them to try the after shave is bizarre.

I dont know why but I have the feeling that in this thread we are in an urgent need of some lavender.
    Last edited by Pollux; 16th December 2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo