Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Histoires de Parfums

Yesterday, on the must-read blog NowSmellThis, the owner of Miomia's (Katie, who describes her business as a one-woman shop) offered the first 50 respondents four unspecified samples of Histoires de Parfums fragrances. Clickety-click! I was one of the lucky ones and now have another excuse to run to the mailbox.

I noticed this SotD post by the lovely ComDiva this a.m. and figured I'd launch a thread about this house:

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Testing a sample of Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade with heartfelt thanks to the wonderful Chaya!

Wow. Dark, indolent, and jammy. I agree with Perfumesmellinthings that there are at least leather, patchouli and prune notes in here. Also something slightly powdery, which I found unexpected, given the name. Still, I really like this one, especially in the current cold and dark...
    Gerald Ghislain's creations:
    (for women)
    1804 "George Sand" • Tahitian gardenia, Corsica peach, Hawaiian Pineapple; clove, Indian jasmine, lily of the valley, rose of Morocco; Sandalwood, patchouli, Benzoin, vanilla, white musk
    1826 "Eugenie de Montijo" • Bergamot, Tangerine White flowers, Violet, Ginger, Cinnamon; Patchouli, Amber, Incense from Jakarta, Vanilla
    1873 "Colette" • all the citrus fruits from sunshine countries; orange blossom, lily of the valley, lavender; Vanilla, white musks, Caramel
    1876 "Mara-Hari" • Bergamot, orange, Litchi; rose , iris , violet, Cumin, Cinnamon, Carnation; Vetiver, Guaiacum, Sandalwood
    Blanc Violette • Violette, Bergamote, Iris; Violette, Ylang-Ylang, Anis Badiane; Violette, Santal, Vanille, Musc, Poudre de Riz
    Vert Pivoine (peony) • Pivoine, Feuille de Lierre, Eau de Rose; Pivoine, Rose, Mimosa, Gardénia, Fruits Rouges, Baies Roses; Pivoine, Santal, Cèdre, Musc, Vanille
    (unisex)
    Noir Patchouli • Patchouli, Coriandre, Cardamom; Patchouli, Bouquet Floral, Baies de Genièvre; Patchouli, Musc, Vétiver, Mousse, Cuir, Vanille
    Ambre 114 • Thyme, Noix de Muscade; Rose, Géranium, Patchouli, Santal, Cèdre, Vétive; Ambre, Vanille, Fèves Tonka, Benjoin, Musc
    1969 • Fruits du Soleil, Pêche Veloutée; Rose, Fleurs Blanches, Cardamon, Girofle; Patchouli, Chocolat, Café, Muscs Blancs
    (for men)
    1725 "Casanova" • bergamot, citrus grapefruit, liquorice, lavender, star anise; vanilla almond, sandalwood, cedar, amber
    1740 "Marquis de Sade" • bergamot, davana sensualis; patchouli, coriander, cardamom; cedar, elemi, leather, labdanum
    1828 "Jules Verne" • grapefruit, citrus, mandarin, eucalyptus; pepper, nutmeg; cedar, incense, vetiver, pine cone

If you have thoughts to share about HdP, please do.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Smile Re: Histoires de Parfums

I love their 1969. I guess I'm a 'hippie' at heart! That's my favorite so far, though I have not tested all of their scents.

You can get a lovely sample pack of their fragrances at their website histoiresdeparfums.com, and if your French is rusty/dusty like mine, or nonexistent, they offer an English version! The sample pack is very generous, and comes in a cute plastic case with large folded guide to their fragrances. It's kind of got a homemade vibe (which is good!).

Default Re: Histoires de Parfums

I had the last bits of a sample of 1804 from a basenoter that I gave to my girlfriend to wear. It really wore magnificently on her. When she wore it, I'd clearly forgotten I'd given it to her and was enamored. It's pretty high on the list of things I'd like to get for her.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I like the concept of this line (linking a scent to a character).
    The only one I've tried is 1828. It is OK. I saw the list of ingredients and was determined to try it. I think it doesn't live up to its woody/pine potential. These elements are light And I found that there was amber and patchouli in the dry-down, these elements are substantial. So if one applies to get the former, one gets too much of the latter. I'll have to try this again, and see if my opinion has changed.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Sur la Plage

I own and love the 1740 Marquis de Sade and Noir Patchouli. I am looking forward to sampling some of the other ones - in particular Ambre 114 and 1969.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

I only one I know (own) is George Sand. I heartily recommend her. A glorious twist on amber (not sweet) with too many herbs to keep track of (it is balsamic if I can sum it up) and patchouli. I love it's complexity. It is perfect for this time of year.

I would like to try these others but I never see them anywhere. Where do they have samples?

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I only one I know (own) is George Sand. I heartily recommend her. A glorious twist on amber (not sweet) with too many herbs to keep track of (it is balsamic if I can sum it up) and patchouli. I love it's complexity. It is perfect for this time of year.

I would like to try these others but I never see them anywhere. Where do they have samples?
    According to this (used computer translator) page on the HdP site:
    "We are currently out of stock for samples, but you can leave us your details, we will contact you as soon as they become available again. We apologize for this against time and thank you for your interest in our products."

You could also check with Miomia, Beauty Cafe or The Perfumed Court, which offers a sampler set of seven.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Thanks Quarry, I just saw this post. You sure know tons of great sites!

I'm very curious about George Sand, Marquis de Sade, 1969 and Ambre 114.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

You sure know tons of great sites!
    I have too much time on my hands. (Hope the devil didn't hear me say that.)

Yes, I tried Kumquat's George Sand, and it was wonderful: sweet, deep, woody, spicy, rosey and gorgeous. Chypre and Oriental lovers should try it, as should patchouli and rose lovers.

Wantz George Sand and Colette. Never heard of this line, either, so thanks for posting about it Quarry!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

SAMPLES ARRIVED!

Vert Pivoine (green peony) ~~~ Quarry loves her green florals! If only the topnotes could stay with this one. The opening is positively magical, but then the stuff dries and loses it charm, becomes almost fetid on my hide. It's a fine enough peony, but it would probably be finer on sugar skin than on me. There isn't much development or sidebar business going on.

1826 - Eugenie de Montijo *** Who spilled the 500-piece puzzle? Stuff is going in all directions at once--quite opposite of simplistic VP mentioned above. The notes enclosed with the company sample vary from the ones I retrieved from their website and posted earlier.
    Top: peach, strawberry, coconut
    Mid: orange blossom jasmine, rose
    Base: incense, vanilla, cocoa bean, benzoin, patch, cedar, sandalw
    ood
    Having done a pre-flight with this sample yesterday, I know the unsweetened strawberry note tends to prevail over time.

If I have any new revelations over the course of the day, I'll let you know.

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Histoires de Parfums

I need to amend my rec. for this frag. the George Sand I have is by MPG- Maitre Parfumers et Gantiers. It is ALSO called Parfums Historiques but does not have the 1804 added. It is very different, so don't get the wrong one, if you want the dark amber/patchouli one I have it's MPG. The 1804 is light and fruity.
    Last edited by kumquat; 26th December 2008 at 04:55 PM.

Beauty Cafe sells the sampler pack for $20, the histoiresdeparfumes.com website asks users from the US to purchase samples and perfume from B.C.

I own Ambre 114 and it is by far the best Amber fragrance that I own. Subtle but powerful, it lasts all day enveloping the wearer in a close fitting cloud of ambery goodness. 1740 is also very nice; sweet, complex, and well balanced.

Miomia has the old style bottles which are selling for $70 less than the new bottles at Beauty Cafe, but the selection is limited.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Although it's not my favorite category of scent, I can recognize that 1740 is very well composed and long-lived. The Noir Patch is a fine enough work, but doesn't stand out from the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Beauty Cafe sells the sampler pack for $20, the histoiresdeparfumes.com website asks users from the US to purchase samples and perfume from B.C.

I own Ambre 114 and it is by far the best Amber fragrance that I own. Subtle but powerful, it lasts all day enveloping the wearer in a close fitting cloud of ambery goodness. 1740 is also very nice; sweet, complex, and well balanced.

Miomia has the old style bottles which are selling for $70 less than the new bottles at Beauty Cafe, but the selection is limited.
    Beauty Cafe is no longer selling samples, unfortunately - now days you have to buy a bottle first.

There is no place I can find that offers samples of the complete line, unfortunately. If anyone finds one, let us know!

Blog Entries

Miomia has 7 samples for $7 when a purchase is made. I bought some fancy cream (very nice, too!) I don't know what the min you have to spend is, though. You could e-mail. She is very nice.

DING DING DING!
    Listen to kumquat!
    The Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier is the good George Sand perfume.
    The Histoires de Parfum is spicy pineapple.
    Get the MPG deep floral and patchouli version. I'm sure George Sand, herself, would have preferred it by a longshot.

I own :
    1826 "Eugenie de Montijo"
    1876 "Mara-Hari"
    1828 "Jules Verne"

& planning to discover & expand more next year.