Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Jardin en Mediterranee - What colour's your juice?

I sent my bottle back to Hermes, Paris, about 3 weeks ago. As they told me to. No sign of the replacement yet, but it's still early days. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. Really keen to see if a bottle of 'fresh juice' smells any different to the old discoloured juice.

I am interested to know the conclusion of this saga. TH, do you have anything more to report? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    I am interested to know the conclusion of this saga. TH, do you have anything more to report? Thanks.
    Good question! I've been wondering about that myself... time for a reminder to be sent to Hermes. It's been fours months now!

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    Thanks Aiona!

I just took this photo:

As you can see, it's quite dark!
    Recently, I bought a bottle and the juice colour quite matches to the one in the bottle shown above. It smells fine but I didn't like it enough.

The saga continues... conclusion imminent?
    Yesterday I received an email from Hermes Paris letting me know I've been sent a replacement. Apparently a replacement was sent way back in January, but never arrived!

So, hopefully, this one will arrive in the next week or so. I'm curious to see the colour of a fresh bottle, and of course to see if it there's any difference in the smell.

I feel like using one of those cute bath smilies now... just because I can

The saga has reached its conclusion. The replacement bottle arrived.
    The colour is completely different from my old one. The palest straw colour.
    But the real shock was the difference in the scent itself. The fresh bottle's fragrance is so light and ethereal. I get the orange blossom and citrus that I don't remember from my 'problem' bottle. It's a completely different fragrance. By comparison, the old one smelled like fig jam--very sweet and cloying--even though I enjoyed it. The fig in the fresh one takes the back stage to the top notes and is completely delightful. It evolves beautifully over time with various notes weaving in and out of each other. I can tell this is something from the imagination of Ellena. I had trouble believing my old bottle was one of his creations.

So, the lesson. Not all fragrances deteriorate remarkably over time, but this one certainly does. Do not purchase it unless you are absolutely certain of its age and provenance!

What a conclusion! I'm glad they were able to replace your rotten bottle. Now, I feel like throwing mine altogether. I contacted Hermes US at the time this thread was started. I did not receive any reply from them.
    Last edited by lsp_NY; 13th June 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Smile Re: Jardin en Mediterranee - What colour's your juice?

Resurrecting this thread once more. Someone on MUA asks about the same thing and I'd pointed her here. Anyway, I think I should throw in my 2 cents.

I have bought several bottles of Jardin en Mediterranee off eBay (sniping accidents - prices were way lower than I expected). Right now I have three bottles sitting in front of me.

4E1J is tea coloured - it is already like this when I bought it, it looks like Irn Bru if it means anything to you
    2M1A3 and 7GACL are dark straw coloured - darker than the pale ones shown above - I think they have gone darker since they joined my household in the 1st quarter of 2009.

I have put all three on now and honestly I can hardly spot much differences between the three. If I really really really stretch it I may say the dark one is more orangey and the light ones are more figgy. Honestly I don't think they are different at all.

I know my verdict contradicts what Trufflehunter reported earlier... more confusion for all!! Trufflehunter's experience has the benefit of having the bottle sent directly to him from Hermes whereas I have three bottles sitting in front of me. So I guess it's a matter of choosing what you want to believe.
    Last edited by malabah; 27th October 2009 at 02:00 AM.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    The saga has reached its conclusion. The replacement bottle arrived.
    The colour is completely different from my old one. The palest straw colour.
    But the real shock was the difference in the scent itself.
    Oh my, oh my, oh my! I didn't follow this thread to its conclusion, so this is my first time to see how your replacement bottle turned out!

I re-examined this thread, because I'm in the process of giving my Jardin away, and I realized it is a LOT darker than before. I bought this bottle from Nordstrom's in San Diego in November of 2008, and it has been kept in a dark cabinet the last 2 1/4 years. The temperature has been approximately 68 degrees F, give and take a bit, because my significant other and I kind of have a battle every now and then with the thermostat.

I will take a picture when daylight arrives, so that I can have a good comparison with the picture taken December 2008, shown in the posts above.

The difference is quite remarkable. Unfortunately, I cannot step back in time and compare the scents of my juice then versus now! Oh, for a time machine!
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I checked the date of my first picture, and it was taken at night. So the only lighting was the fluorescent lighting of the laundry room. So, to recreate similar lighting conditions, I am taking another picture tonight.

First picture: Un Jardin en Mediterranee (purchased November 2008) on December 16, 2008 at approximately 10:30 PM
    Second picture: Un Jardin en Mediteranee (purchased November 2008 and now about 75% full) on January 31, 2011 at approximately 10:30 PM

I tried to adjust color balance for better comparison.

Third picture: To show that the second picture was taken recently (aside from the fact that the bottle is now 75% full), I used a backdrop in the third picture of Mostapha's recent viral picture of the current state in Egypt.

Back when I had amounts of time in which to do such a thing, I contemplated taking some of Un Jardin and aliquotting 2 ml into three spray vials, such as the ones in which Neil Morris samples come. I was going to put one vial in the dark, one vial in full Texas sunlight, and one vial next to the water heater (in the dark). Pull them out in a year and take side by side pictures.

My enthusiasm for such a project is virtually nil at the moment. Perhaps someone else might want to do a similar experiment.

my Neil Morris samples
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

I wonder if this is the case with all Hermes fragrances?

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    I wonder if this is the case with all Hermes fragrances?
    I don't know, but there are a *lot* of other fragrances that change color with age. Here's link to an old thread that discussed them.

Fragrances that turn color as they age

hi guys...
    i have the same ''problem '' with my Hermes....the exact same batch code- 2M1A3...and it is yellow....
    but, the scent is totally ok and not spoiled in any way!!
    I think in most of the fumes containing chemical components such as indoles, the color doesn't affect the nature or quality of the juice....so, mine smells like a ray of sunshine in a bottle...

p.s. same thing happened to my Angel, Guerlain's L'Instant and Kelly Caleche...didn't do zilch to spoil the scent itself...I couldn't care less for that colourful issue))))