Code of Conduct

Thread: Frankincense

Default Frankincense

What's the difference between frankincense and incense? Is frankincense a type of incense? I'm wearing something that's rose and frankincense and I'm LOVING the frankincense.

Do you know that after you type "frankincense" so many times it starts to seem like a very ridiculous word?
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Default Re: Frankincense

Yup, incense is a catch-all term for a wide range of saps and gums extracted usu. from desert shrubs and displayed or burned for the smell. The Wikipedia article is not a bad place to start and Helg's incense series on her Perfume Shrine blog is a wonderful intro to incense in perfume. And you're right, frankincense is a type of incense. What have you been wearing?

I used to burn frankincense on charcoal tablets a zillion years ago. It looked like bits of hardened tree sap, and was honey colored. When you sniff it, it isn't as strongly scented as you would expect. It has a subtle aroma, I think, even when it's being burned. You light the charcoal tablet and once you've got that going, you put a few pellets of frankincense on the tablet to smoke and burn. It's the incense that's used at a Roman Catholic mass, if you've ever attended one, when the priest swings the censor around and the scented smoke wafts through the assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Yup, incense is a catch-all term for a wide range of saps and gums extracted usu. from desert shrubs and displayed or burned for the smell. The Wikipedia article is not a bad place to start and Helg's incense series on her Perfume Shrine blog is a wonderful intro to incense in perfume. And you're right, frankincense is a type of incense. What have you been wearing?
    I'm wearing a sample of Rose Cross from BPAL. And after wearing it all day, it reminds me more and more of Coco.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out Perfume Shrine. I think I was subscribed to that previously.
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL

Strollyyourlobster said it. Incense is a general term, and in perfumery, generally indicates a warm, pleasant, and smoky scent, like Nag Champa.

Frankincense is a specific translucent resin from the Boswellia genus, Most Frankincense resin, regardless of region, has a Lime/Lemon/Verbena/Evergreen smell, even when burned. Some Frankincense will be very bright and lemony, some will be more piney, some will even smell of several different spices in addition to lime/verbena. Indian and Ethiopian tend to smell sweeter and lightly spicy, whereas Resin from Yemen and Oman is very bright and lemony.

My experience is very much as Dullah explains. There are other resins which can be burned on charcoal also--benzoin, copal and myrrh are 3 that are very common. Also pine resin is sometimes used. The resins all smell different in their liquified form than they do while burning. Frankincense is indeed citrus and sometimes evergreen-like, but with a resinous base which really softens the sharpness of the lemon or evergreen. I have blended frank with rose and sandalwood, and it is an amazing combination. I can just imagine that the BPAL is similar in its tone. The only mainstream fragrance I have tried that has come close is Czech & Speake No.88. I love Coco--the resins are very clean, and I don't get an impression of frank from it at all.

I am wearing Tauer Incense Rose' for the first time and this has the most pronounced frankincense opening I've experienced, so far. I love incense notes of all kinds but this one really hits the frankincense mark for me.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

the prefix frank here likely refers to "superior quality" and designates Olibanum, the resin of Boswellia Carterii.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thanks, good_life, that's exactly right and I learned something!
    frankincense, Middle English from Old French franc. franc incense = "pure incense"
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I am wearing Tauer Incense Rose' for the first time and this has the most pronounced frankincense opening I've experienced, so far. I love incense notes of all kinds but this one really hits the frankincense mark for me.
    I really must revisit Incense Rose. Somehow it made no impression on me but I was transfixed yesterday by Rose Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    the prefix frank here likely refers to "superior quality" and designates Olibanum, the resin of Boswellia Carterii.
    imho
    Boswellia Sacra>Boswellia Carterii>Boswellia Papyriferra>Boswellia Serrata>Boswellia Frereana

Although, the sweet herbal spiciness of Papyrifera&Serrata I like better than sacra on some days.